What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
But surely the NRL could take the time to make things a bit more even, look at the run both of the Knights and the Sharks have again in 2024, when people would say the Sharks buckle against Top 8 opposition they were right.
Its not an excuse, how much money does the NRL generate and they can’t even get the best out of their draw, not very professional.
Sorry never got to reply to this...
1. NRL don't care about money for club games,
They care about SoO, finals and rep games,
2. Making things even doesn't make a comp better, it just hides mediocrity, get better at your roster management and pull up your pants and get better at your jobby-job-job
3. This comp isn't going to play the "AFL pass the flag around" the people running it won't have that,
Again the clubs are the ones who need to make every game an event, the ones that aren't are the ones that aren't making the money they should,
Look at the warriors games this season, they made an effort to promote every game like it was a rock show, lots of teams do the good work, its in their self interest as they re coup those sales, the NRL don't get paid for the 12 home games, each individual club does, so realistically they dont care

Bukowski

Juniors
Just saw this today:

Billionaire mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest is poised to take his first steps into rugby league after finalising a multimillion-dollar partnership with the St George Illawarra Dragons.
It shows that league is popular right across the country. The time is right for Perth.

The Great Dane

First Grade
well you are a Panthers fan, of course you are going to think the game is going better than ever.

I'm not fan of the 6 again rule, never was. I also think the quality of refereeing is as bad as its ever been. Salary Cap increases aren't a good thing if its coming at the expense of funding other needed areas of the game.
This.

Pretty much all the tactical nous has been stripped from the game and replaced by mindless sludge that's easily abused both by players, coaches, and officials on a regular basis. It's almost literally the old stereotype of 5 hit ups and a kick, not quite, but it's headed that way. The officiating is such garbage that it's becoming increasingly hard to assert that it's just incompetence, and the NRL's obfuscation and attempts to ignore the issues doesn't help with that sentiment.

There isn't a single commentator or pundit left in the coverage that I'd piss on if they were on fire, listening to any of them will literally cost you braincells, and the quality of the production is a joke for what is supposed to be a modern professional sport. Gameday experience is around 30 years behind the experiences I've had attending sport in other countries (American major leagues, EPL and European football, boxing, even big teams in the J-league, etc) and most NRL clubs can't seem to be bothered to even attempt to improve it at all (with a few notable exceptions).

The NRL has totally abandoned RL in probably up to 85% of country to fend for it's self, and almost all of it's grassroot, juniors, and lower tier systems are completely broken, yet they keep diverting funding, resources, and expertise away from it to the professional tier and NRL clubs, like if they ignore it it'll just go away and there won't be any serious consequences.

The cap and equalisation methods are completely f**ked, and have been for decades, but again nothing is done because the situation suits a relative handful of powerful people.

I could keep going on but increasingly I can't be bothered with this sport. Put simply RL is reverting to form, the sport that's a regional oddity for bogans from the crappiest parts of the country, whom have the makings of a great product in their possession but are so hostile to outsiders and afraid of losing control and their social status within their circles that they're strangling it's potential, often intentionally so.

Dane and PR are very contemptuous towards the game. To my shame, there was a stage where I was becoming just like them. My apologies to everyone for boring everyone to that extent over thr years.

It's just a game. Enjoy it. Stop worrying about it not being AwFuL or NFL. The best thing about NRL is it's not wrapped up in corporate bullshit like AwFuL and NFL.

mongoose

Coach
This.

Pretty much all the tactical nous has been stripped from the game and replaced by mindless sludge that's easily abused both by players, coaches, and officials on a regular basis. It's almost literally the old stereotype of 5 hit ups and a kick, not quite, but it's headed that way. The officiating is such garbage that it's becoming increasingly hard to assert that it's just incompetence, and the NRL's obfuscation and attempts to ignore the issues doesn't help with that sentiment.

There isn't a single commentator or pundit left in the coverage that I'd piss on if they were on fire, listening to any of them will literally cost you braincells, and the quality of the production is a joke for what is supposed to be a modern professional sport. Gameday experience is around 30 years behind the experiences I've had attending sport in other countries (American major leagues, EPL and European football, boxing, even big teams in the J-league, etc) and most NRL clubs can't seem to be bothered to even attempt to improve it at all (with a few notable exceptions).

The NRL has totally abandoned RL in probably up to 85% of country to fend for it's self, and almost all of it's grassroot, juniors, and lower tier systems are completely broken, yet they keep diverting funding, resources, and expertise away from it to the professional tier and NRL clubs, like if they ignore it it'll just go away and there won't be any serious consequences.

The cap and equalisation methods are completely f**ked, and have been for decades, but again nothing is done because the situation suits a relative handful of powerful people.

I could keep going on but increasingly I can't be bothered with this sport. Put simply RL is reverting to form, the sport that's a regional oddity for bogans from the crappiest parts of the country, whom have the makings of a great product in their possession but are so hostile to outsiders and afraid of losing control and their social status within their circles that they're strangling it's potential, often intentionally so.
some valid points.

The presentation of the game and media around it could be so much better. There is so much you could do with the NRL in terms of statistical analysis, player analysis, pre and post game shows. Instead we get these hopeless matt nable promos on fox full of tired cliches and nostalgia pandering. I can't bring myself to watch 9. Matt Thompson is park quality commentator, just atrocious. That Psaltis guy sounds like his twin brother. Freddy and Joey have become stale as month old bread.

I haven't enjoyed the game much the last few seasons, possibly because the Raiders have been in a slow decline and play such an uninspiring style of footy under Sticky. The Panthers aren't much better to watch though, they just strangle teams to death, there isn't a lot of skill in their attacking play imo (sorry Mugab) - Cleary was epic in that grand final though, can't deny that.