What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

yeh I stupidly thought NRl would do whats right for the game, not whats right for news ltd. You live and learn.

What makes you think they'll change their ways and come around to your way of thinking?

You bookmarked Perth as a certainty for the 18th licence. Now you've pushed it back to the 19th licence because PNG has the 18th.

Wb1234

Immortal
He's no fan of rugby league. The only thing he cares about is what's best for him while he's living in Perth.
He’s not the only selfish one tbf
Whilst you and your side kick want to keep RL confined to its small areas I want to see it blossom and grow to be a national and international game in new big markets. I know which of us is the real rugby league fan.
america being the obvious exclusion

and png

and nz

Again you seem to be under the delusion that perth and Melbourne's RL scenes are the same. They are not.
Perth wont need to be in top 4 every year, neither do Melbourne in reality, every team when not doing well loses fans, and gains them again when its doing well (Newcastle the exception and I take my hat off to their fans). You think 25k are going to keep turning out for Dolphins if they stay 13th for next few years?
As long as Perth arent bottom 2 for ten years then they'll be fine.

The Reds had a fairly strong team winning 50% of their games in 1995, yet their attendances were the lowest of the four expansion clubs. Their fanbase dwindled to less than 9k after 1995.

If the Storm have an extended stay at the bottom of the ladder then their supporter base will dwindle. They're only averaging 16k at MRS with a side that's made the top eight every year except 2001 and 2002.

Whilst you and your side kick want to keep RL confined to its small areas I want to see it blossom and grow to be a national and international game in new big markets. I know which of us is the real rugby league fan.

You're willing to hold the game back in Brisbane to prop up a team in Melbourne.

You expected the ARLC to add a team in Perth before Brisbane 2.

When V'landys placed the Dolphins ahead of Perth you chucked a massive tantrum.

Canard

Immortal
So the Brisbane Lions MIGHT sell their home game against the Eagles to Perth, means that we can't have a NRL team west of Melbourne in Australia?

pee wee herman 80s GIF

Wb1234

Immortal
The Reds had a fairly strong team winning 50% of their games in 1995, yet their attendances were the lowest of the four expansion clubs. Their fanbase dwindled to less than 9k after 1995.

If the Storm have an extended stay at the bottom of the ladder then their supporter base will dwindle. They're only averaging 16k at MRS with a side that's made the top eight every year except 2001 and 2002.
And take out the Anzac Day game which is half full of warriors and it’s even less

Maximus

Coach
He's no fan of rugby league. The only thing he cares about is what's best for him while he's living in Perth.

Coming from the guy who is only interested in what's best for him in Brisbane, and not the best interests of the game in general.

You are no different to Perth Red.

As a Queenslander from Brisbane and a rugby league fan my priority is maximising the game's potential in SEQ.

What makes you think I should ignore the interests of the game in the city I was born?

The only reason you're championing a team in Perth is because you've lived there for 20 years.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Do you have any evidence of this?

There's no press release from either company stating they prefer Perth over everyone else.

How would a Perth-based team help Ch9?

The 6pm AEST Sun timeslot that the Perth consortium is billing as the saviour of the game won't benefit Ch9.

If Perth hosted the Thur/Fri 8pm AEST Ch9 game then it would be held at 6pm AWST. A terrible timeslot for fans that would cost the club revenue.

We do know that Head of Strategy WWOS Simon Fordham said this at Magic Round:

For Fordham, making the most of this momentum looks like bringing more games to the region – and potentially another team.​
Fordham: “We’re really committed to working with the NRL in growing the competition, and Queensland is a big part of that. We think there’s room for another team here in Queensland, and the Dolphins have been the perfect example.
“The more games we can get played featuring Queensland teams in Southeast Queensland, the better. The engagement in rugby league here is just next level, and the energy of the crowds has a material impact on the quality of the broadcasts that we make. It helps create atmosphere, it makes the commentary team rise, it makes the production team rise.”​
1 degree of separation from the conversation - I have no reason not to believe what was told to me mid year.

Coming from the guy who is only interested in what's best for him in Brisbane, and not the best interests of the game in general.

You are no different to Perth Red.

I've never pretended to be an "expansionist". There was a time when I bought into the expansion bullshit that's peddled by Perth Red, mongoose, Colk and The Great Dane, but I now see through their agenda.

I am not ashamed to say my priority is maximising the game's potential in Brisbane. I'm a rugby league fan from Brisbane. I have an emotional interest in Brisbane RL.

Perth Red pretends to be an expansionist, yet all he ever does is argue for a Perth-based team. He turns on Adelaide and NZ2 the moment they're considered ahead of Perth.

I guess that's why you death ride Adelaide, NZ2 and PNG whenever anyone places them ahead of Perth?