What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Only here do ppl deny rivalries in NRL. Here's what real fans think;
So at the top of the leaderboard it’s all Sydney derbies

when the author says most fans of roosters south’s don’t know the history she’s wrong imo esp south’s fans

and south’s dragons is the worst rivalry in the game but the charity shield sells 30k tickets for a trial ? Ah no

good to see the 97 grand final makes an impact

as does the battle of Brookie

Pippen94

First Grade
So at the top of the leaderboard it’s all Sydney derbies

when the author says most fans of roosters south’s don’t know the history she’s wrong imo esp south’s fans

and south’s dragons is the worst rivalry in the game but the charity shield sells 30k tickets for a trial ? Ah no

good to see the 97 grand final makes an impact

as does the battle of Brookie

Redcliffe should create some qld derbies. Logan/Ipswich would be good for 18th spot

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only here do ppl deny rivalries in NRL. Here's what real fans think;
I always base judgement on some random Twitter poll lol

literally no one is saying rivallaries dont exist and dont generate some level of interest above the norm. But it is very simplistic to think they are the only, or even the major, variable in attendances and audiences. If it were the case we wouldn’t be seeing sub 15k crowds at rivallary games when there’s two sets of fans in the same city,

I’m from Hull, no one does RL rivallary like my city!

Pippen94

First Grade

literally no one is saying rivallaries dont exist and dont generate some level of interest above the norm. But it is very simplistic to think they are the only, or even the major, variable in attendances and audiences. If it were the case we wouldn’t be seeing sub 15k crowds at rivallary games when there’s two sets of fans in the same city,

Just a webpage. Don't be triggered

Colk

First Grade
Ur argument is because everything including ourselves have a limited time on earth, then rivalries are impermanent & just that reduces their importance. Very nihilistic

Interesting interpretation of what I said (incorrect by the way). You are also not addressing anything that I said.

Anyway, all I’m saying is that nothing is a constant i.e directly refuting your framing of debates via the use of words like always and other definitives.

Also, if we are going to address philosophical aspects, I didn’t say that they (rivalries) are meaningless. What I said is like everything else, its’ meaning is relative, which is by the way the complete opposite of nihilism. Meaning is a personal thing - yes it is influenced by external factors but ultimately the individual determines what is meaningful to them. It also evolves over time - I’m sure that you don’t believe or value the exact same things that you did 10, 20 years ago.

Pneuma

First Grade

Potato

Diesel

Coach
When the next expansion is announced, will they be nominating a location (like they did recently) and then getting bids from that location only or have they spoken about taking bids from multiple regions/areas and finding the best fit

MugaB

Coach
When the next expansion is announced, will they be nominating a location (like they did recently) and then getting bids from that location only or have they spoken about taking bids from multiple regions/areas and finding the best fit
I don't think so... its NZ, WA, or PNG,
It's like saying we are open for business...
It will be the opposite of what happened with SEQ for no.17... everyone barr SEQ may come in now

Perth Red

Post Whore
interesting question and as of yet we don’t know. They may pick a city and call for bids, or they may work with a bid team in a city they choose or they may invite bids from numerous cities.

In Perths case if the WA govt sides with one particular bid then it’s hard to see the nrl choosing anyone else Or even going to open tender If NRL are confident in the govt backed bid.

In PNG’s case there is likely to be only one bid and likely in essence to involve the nrl as a partner in the bid with the clubs start up through Australian govt funding.

NZ there doesnt seem to be many factors that would dictate going for one particular bid approach so they may well throw open the door and see what comes through.

I remember Abdo saying the Brisbane Firehawks and Brisbane Jets are still a chance of getting the 18th licence. My guess is we'll see a number of bids from Perth and Brisbane. Obviously the Bears will dance around claiming they're a shoe-in for the licence, only to be disappointed again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I remember Abdo saying the Brisbane Firehawks and Brisbane Jets are still a chance of getting the 18th licence. My guess is we'll see a number of bids from Perth and Brisbane. Obviously the Bears will dance around claiming they're a shoe-in for the licence, only to be disappointed again.
I’ll be very very surprised if news ltd allow another brisbane team in, probably ever. They allowed in the dolphins as they were far flung and of little competition to them. Good luck getting the broncos, titans and now dolphins to support the admission of another competitor into their direct market space.

I’ll be very very surprised if news ltd allow another brisbane team in, probably ever. They allowed in the dolphins as they were far flung and of little competition to them. Good luck getting the broncos, titans and now dolphins to support the admission of another competitor into their direct market space.
I cannot see a third team entering the Brisbane market any time soon, but it won't stop the Easts Tigers from bidding. I think Perth will get the licence.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You mean the North Sydney-Central Coast-Gold Coast-Country NSW-Perth-Adelaide-Christchurch Bears? lol

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don't think the Broncos are looking at a juggernaut like Redcliffe and thinking they don't have competition on their hands

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think the Broncos are looking at a juggernaut like Redcliffe and thinking they don't have competition on their hands
You think dolphins are more of a competitive threat than firehawks would have been? they are only part timers in the city.
There’s a reason news ltd choose them

Wb1234

Referee
It’s Perth

there is zero chatter from nz

they will be talking to tv stations now to see what Perth will add to the deal

Perth Red

Post Whore
Saw something the other day saying perth adds different timeslot options inc a 9/10pm kick off game on east coast. Would there be much appetite for a 10pm game? Maybe in the pubs?

Saw something the other day saying perth adds different timeslot options inc a 9/10pm kick off game on east coast. Would there be much appetite for a 10pm game? Maybe in the pubs?
Maybe on a Saturday night, but they used to do that with the replay games and the interest was waned.
Sunday 6pm(Eastern) is the perfect spot to fill.
4pm Perth time, and it will put the horrible MJ show back a couple of hours. Win/win/win