What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
I havent. I predicted they'd finish 12th-13th before they kicked a ball and I was right. Its where most new clubs start from.

Perth doesn't need to be Brisbane.

Hang on its parochial to AFL but their tv dropped? Doesnt sound very parochial to me lol.
Again Nostradamus based on what? A few years being shthouse sure, one season? yeh nah.
Eagles last year had the worse season in the clubs history. Finished the year with a $2mill profit + WAFC $2.6mill payment, 42k crowd avg and 103k record members lol. Sure the fans really abandoned them!
Someone on trl is saying nrlwa registration are up 15 percent on the same time last year ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Someone on trl is saying nrlwa registration are up 15 percent on the same time last year ?
I doubt it, maybe in the womens game. We seem to have been pretty static since covid in terms of mens registrations. Our newest clubs, Ellenbrook, Alkimos and Mandurah rode out covid and are all still going really strongly though which is great to see.

We need a concerted effort to get our lower grade clubs up to premiership standard. Thats where I think the NRLWA should be concentrating. Improve coaching and get our premiership up to an 8 or 9 team comp would be a major step forward here.

so you think stadium quality is the sole driver of a clubs fanbase and appeal?

It determines how much money they can generate from corporate hospitality. You've been telling us this for years.

Maybe the Gold coast just doesnt like NRL as much as Perth does?

You think rugby league is more popular in Perth than the Gold Coast?

That's probably the dumbest and most delusional comment anyone has made on LU.

Just 8k people from Perth watch NRL on 9Gem. Another 5k watched on Fox League in 2017.

or maybe due to its population everyone supports a different NRl club than the Titans?

The same issue will impact a Perth-based team. Interest in the game is driven by expatriates from Queensland, NSW, New Zealand and England. They already have a team. It'll take a generation or two for a Perth-based team to nail down an active fanbase that doesn't already have another team to support.

or maybe the years the Titans were run like a basketcase and went bust has impacted fans interest?

The same thing could happen with Perth.

or maybe in fact the titans are not the worse attended club in the NRl anyway?

Titans play at a quality stadium in rugby league heartland. Perth will be playing out of a poor stadium in a parochial fumbleball market.

And maybe perth wont have those hurdles in its way?

Why won't Perth have these hurdles when every expansion team, bar the Broncos and Storm, had to overcome similar problems?

Canberra Raiders. Illawarra Steelers. Newcastle Knights. Gold Coast-Tweed Giants. South Queensland Crushers. North Queensland Cowboys. Auckland Warriors. Western Reds. Gold Coast Titans.

Even the Redcliffe Dolphins struggled with player recruitment, despite having a world class training centre, about $100m in assets and the world's best rugby league stadium as its main home ground.

Hopefully enough. I know I did. I could, and still could, have lived anywhere in Australia and chose Perth as its a beautiful place to live with an amazing lifestyle and a housing cost thats still (just) affordable (or will be if you east coaster stop driving our property prices up!)

Gold Coast is a better place to live and is preferred by Victorian retirees. It hasn't helped the Titans and Suns. There's more entertainment options on the Gold Coast, better beaches and nicer weather.

Property prices will rise in Perth as the housing crisis forces young families out of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Wait until foreign property developers enter the market.

Who knows? we arent privvy to what conversations the WA govt and NRl are having. If the NRl intends a team in perth they should be driving a very hard bargain given the WA Govt's keenness to get a team here.
RLHQ, HBF stadium improvements and funding for Jnrs/women SHOULD be what the NRL is asking for. take a leaf out of AFL's book in Tasmania ffs!

What are the odds of this happening?

You're constantly whinging snout V'landys never talking about anything other than suburban grounds in Sydney.

Are you now telling me V'landys isn't as Sydney-centric as you and Dane claim?

$426 gazillion. Stop asking stupid questions.

They're important questions that you cannot answer, despite boasting for months that Perth is guaranteed an NRL licence. The fact you cannot answer these questions means your arrogance about Perth's chances of snagging a licence is not grounded in reality.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I doubt it, maybe in the womens game. We seem to have been pretty static since covid in terms of mens registrations. Our newest clubs, Ellenbrook, Alkimos and Mandurah rode out covid and are all still going really strongly though which is great to see.

We need a concerted effort to get our lower grade clubs up to premiership standard. Thats where I think the NRLWA should be concentrating. Improve coaching and get our premiership up to an 8 or 9 team comp would be a major step forward here.
Says he mates with the gm of nrlwa.

and eels were reported to be takign $5mill from the pokie den to cover FC operation costs for numerous years. What dont you understand about owners putting in money back then?

Bollox, Cowboys got millions from News ltd to stay afloat, then the FC were getting $1-2mill a year from the LC to spend on football operations. Again nothing at all wrong with that, most clubs were leaning on their owners to cover costs.

Storm have had plenty of support to become the valuable asset to the NRl they have become. First from their owners then some support from the NRL above and beyond the grant.
A good lesson to be learnt maybe about investing to make a new business successful?

News Ltd owned the Cowboys between 2001 and 2007. I cannot find any information on how much money News Ltd provided to the Cowboys.

What I can say is News Ltd spent more on the Storm than any other club. Here's evidence to prove it:

The Storm has been overspending to the tune of between $2 million and $5 million for 15 years. This shortfall has been financed by News Ltd and the amount spent by the club does not seem to be falling since the salary cap scandal in 2010.

The Storm football club spends about $20 million a year, or about $2-$4 million more than most other clubs except for the wealthy Broncos. The new consortium of owners, led by New Zealander Bart Campbell, are projecting the club will break even in five years, which is a long time to be losing money. The Storm has risen to the top of the competition by overspending; if the club has to curtail its expenses it is very difficult to see the performance on the field continuing, placing greater financial stress on the group.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They're not stupid questions. They're important questions that you can or answer, despite boasting for months thst Perth is guaranteed an NRL licence. The fact you cannot answer these questions means your arrogance about Perth's chances is not grounded in reality.
they are dumb arse questions because no one on here works for the NRL, the Wa govt or the consortium. You are reaching with hypotheticals that are impossible to prove one way or the other and asking questions that only people on the inside would know the answer too. Then because no one knows the answer on a ,message board using it to say it shouldn't happen! Dumb arse way of thinking about things really.

Could all of that happen? sure,
will it happen? Not if the NRl does its due diligence properly.

Perth remains by far our best option to start up an NRL club in a non traditional RL capital city and has numerous opportunities presenting themselves right now.
Will it be a success? only time can tell us the answer to that one.
If it is run well, funded well and has Govt support there is no reason it shouldn't be, and if it is it will be massive for RL out West. That is something we should all be hoping for.

I havent. I predicted they'd finish 12th-13th before they kicked a ball and I was right. Its where most new clubs start from.

Perth doesn't need to be Brisbane.

Hang on its parochial to AFL but their tv dropped? Doesnt sound very parochial to me lol.
Again Nostradamus based on what? A few years being shthouse sure, one season? yeh nah.
Eagles last year had the worse season in the clubs history. Finished the year with a $2mill profit + WAFC $2.6mill payment, 42k crowd avg and 103k record members lol. Sure the fans really abandoned them!
A Perth-based NRL team won't have pokies to fall back on when shit hits the fan. Corporate hospitality won't generate much because the facilities at PRS are outdated. Capacity is just 20k. The club will be lucky to draw an average of 15k fans through the gate.

Active support for the Eagles and Dockers remained strong, but casual viewers abandoned the clubs. A Perth-based NRL will have very few rusted on active supporters and rely on casual fans during their initial years. If the team is shit then casual interest will dry up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
News Ltd owned the Cowboys between 2001 and 2007. I cannot find any information on how much money News Ltd provided to the Cowboys.

What I can say is News Ltd spent more on the Storm than any other club. Here's evidence to prove it:

The Storm has been overspending to the tune of between $2 million and $5 million for 15 years. This shortfall has been financed by News Ltd and the amount spent by the club does not seem to be falling since the salary cap scandal in 2010.​
The Storm football club spends about $20 million a year, or about $2-$4 million more than most other clubs except for the wealthy Broncos. The new consortium of owners, led by New Zealander Bart Campbell, are projecting the club will break even in five years, which is a long time to be losing money. The Storm has risen to the top of the competition by overspending; if the club has to curtail its expenses it is very difficult to see the performance on the field continuing, placing greater financial stress on the group.​
Again whast your point? Clubs back then needed owners tipping in. Clubs now are making profits.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A Perth-based NRL team won't have pokies to fall back on when shit hits the fan. Corporate hospitality won't generate much because the facilities at PRS are outdated. Capacity is just 20k. The club will be lucky to draw an average of 15k fans through the gate.

Active support for the Eagles and Dockers remained strong, but casual viewers abandoned the clubs. A Perth-based NRL will have very few rusted on active supporters and rely on casual fans during their initial years. If the team is shit then casual interest will dry up.
Clubs dont need that anymore. Even the lowest revenue ones are making profits and building asset bases. Its not 2010 anymore. Clubs on less than 15k crowds with small sponsor support and making profits. Thats what grants $5mill over the cap brings.

Moral of the story, dont be shit! If we ant to build clubs no longer reliant on pokies then you have to rip that bandaid off at some time. At the moment of the 7 possible NRL bids only 2 of them have pokies and tehy both are heartland areas.

Again you make a lot of assumptions with little evidence for them. Not that you are def wrong, just you keep paint worse case scenarios. Id argue most clubs would struggle if they are dogsht for years.

they are dumb arse questions because no one on here works for the NRL, the Wa govt or the consortium. You are reaching with hypotheticals that are impossible to prove one way or the other and asking questions that only people on the inside would know the answer too. Then because no one knows the answer on a ,message board using it to say it shouldn't happen! Dumb arse way of thinking about things really.

What's dumb is you arguing for months that the Perth bid is guaranteed a licence, despite having no knowledge of its financial background and relationship with the WA Gov. I've just exposed you as a fan who pretends to be in the know and attack people for not agreeing with your biased opinions.

You're entitled to have an opinion, but when you call people stupid for disagreeing with you then you're fair game to be ridiculed.

Could all of that happen? sure,
will it happen? Not if the NRl does its due diligence properly.

If the business case provided by the consortium and WA Gov is poor then the bid will be rejected. You'll then attack the ARLC for being insular and not thinking about the long-term benefits of funding a Perth-based team.

Perth remains by far our best option to start up an NRL club in a non traditional RL capital city and has numerous opportunities presenting themselves right now.

This is true, but it's not ahead of other areas that have stronger investment, more fans and stronger pathways. The onlly thing in Perth's favour is it is a new market. Other than that it s behind every other bid.

Will it be a success? only time can tell us the answer to that one.
If it is run well, funded well and has Govt support there is no reason it shouldn't be, and if it is it will be massive for RL out West. That is something we should all be hoping for.

Why should we all be hoping for this?

Why should RL fans in Port Moresby, Wellington, Christchurch and Brisbane "hope" for Perth to get a team ahead of their own bids?

Clubs dont need that anymore. Even the lowest revenue ones are making profits and building asset bases. Its not 2010 anymore. Clubs on less than 15k crowds with small sponsor support and making profits. Thats what grants $5mill over the cap brings.

Moral of the story, dont be shit! If we ant to build clubs no longer reliant on pokies then you have to rip that bandaid off at some time. At the moment of the 7 possible NRL bids only 2 of them have pokies and tehy both are heartland areas.

Again you make a lot of assumptions with little evidence for them. Not that you are def wrong, just you keep paint worse case scenarios. Id argue most clubs would struggle if they are dogsht for years.
The annual grant doesn't guarantee on field success. It just prevents clubs from going under. To be successful clubs need to spend big on infrastructure and personel to build a winning team. Penrith lost $50m on their pathways in the 2010s before they became successful on the field. That's the task ahead of a Perth-based team. To "not be shit" requires at least $50-100m on infrastructure and personel, time and a strong junior catchment. Perth won't have any of this. Storm cheated by raiding southeast Queensland for years when the region was underserviced. News Ltd were behind the culling of the Crushers and Chargers. Everything they did benefited the Storm.

mongoose

Coach
Are you really this naive or do you just play dumb out of stubbornness?

It was reported that the Storm spent more on football operations than every club bar the Broncos in the early 2000s. In Melbourne's case they spent $4m per annum more than they generated from football operations. The shortfall was covered by News Ltd. We all know what the money was spent on.

Cowboys and Broncos never spent more than they made from football operations to run elite development programs. There was a short period of time when the Cowboys needed assistance to survive in the 90s and early 00s. They weren't given millions to squander on elite development programs.

Why do you pretend the Storm never had any advantages provided to them ny News Ltd?

You make it sound as if they were a downtrodden rags to riches success story. Without News Ltd the Storm wouldn't be where they are today. It's incredibly disingenuous to compare the amount of money News Ltd spent on the Storm to the peanuts they gave the Broncos, Cowboys and Raiders.
show me the report that says they spent more than other clubs and not the article about how much they spent between 1998 and 2012 because that says nothing in comparison to other clubs.

show me the report that says they spent more than other clubs and not the article about how much they spent between 1998 and 2012 because that says nothing in comparison to other clubs.
The Moneyball article provides this information.

The Storm has been overspending to the tune of between $2 million and $5 million for 15 years. This shortfall has been financed by News Ltd and the amount spent by the club does not seem to be falling since the salary cap scandal in 2010.

The Storm football club spends about $20 million a year, or about $2-$4 million more than most other clubs except for the wealthy Broncos.

blue bags

First Grade
If that's the case then why do you ridicule the Dolphins for finishing 13th in their debut season, you bloody hypocrite?

Dolphins won their first four games before they were decimated by injuries and suspensions to key players.

Perth isn't Brisbane.

Perth is a parochial fumbleball city. TV ratings in Perth for the Eagles and Dockers nosedived when they had a shit season. If a Perth-based NRL team has a similar run then it will be disasterous for its bottomline.
That's why a Perth alone franchise is very worrying. What's going to happen in the struggle day's

That's why a Perth alone franchise is very worrying. What's going to happen in the struggle day's
It will end up like the Force when it's struggling. Strong enough to survive, but never in a position to thrive until some one with deep pockets buys the club.

I don't see how a struggling Perth club offers more than the Brisbane Tigers, PNG or New Zealand 2. It'll just be a dot on a map. If the team struggles then it will be bashed endlessly by the media, RL community and AwFuL trolls.

I'd like to see Perth get a licence at some stage. However, it has to be when Perth is ready and Mo one more deserving is in contention. I don't want to see Perth get a team through affirmative action.

Latest posts