What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
what a strange thing to to say, or just trolling?
No trolling, you forget the real monster in the room.... if a millionaire is funding your club, thats fine, but when you have a billionaire who actually gives a shit about every detail of the club/code, i wouldn't become a rival, until he has given his blessing...

Unless you wanna knock on twiggy's door and ask him to drop his forces breakaways and start playing in an actual competition called NRL, and properly represent WA as a "Force"

The force logo is pretty well made, has a swan, and if they kept the Black and Gold prominent as the main two colors, and blue as a trim only, would stay unique, or they could ditch it for red, and throwback to the colors of the 95' reds

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
No trolling, you forget the real monster in the room.... if a millionaire is funding your club, thats fine, but when you have a billionaire who actually gives a shit about every detail of the club/code, i wouldn't become a rival, until he has given his blessing...

Unless you wanna knock on twiggy's door and ask him to drop his forces breakaways and start playing in an actual competition called NRL, and properly represent WA as a "Force"

The force logo is pretty well made, has a swan, and if they kept the Black and Gold prominent as the main two colors, and blue as a trim only, would stay unique, or they could ditch it for red, and throwback to the colors of the 95' reds
You think the nrl shouldn’t put a team in perth unless twiggy forest gives his blessing? How weird.

MugaB

Coach
You think the nrl shouldn’t put a team in perth unless twiggy forest gives his blessing? How weird.
Not weird, plus there are a no. of other reasons, competing with twiggy will doom whatever franshise gets set up or put forward, But having him side by side will not only help, it might rival AFL in WA, by no means will it overtake it,... no way, but atleast carve out that niche spot, similar to that the storm has done in Victoria, which i see as a massive pass...
Alternatively if RL goes ahead without, he would put all sorts of pressure, from recruiting, sponsors, media you name it he'll see it as a direct rival to the force, from taking away juniors to players that should be playing for his union club, the game is similiar enough.. im suprised you don't see how he has influenced RU since they were booted out few years back

mongoose

Coach
Its a bit chicken and egg though. They've been able to invest so heavily in expansion of their game as their revenue is significantly higher than NRL's. If the expansion is a part of driving the revenue gap, or the revenue gap is allowing them to be aggressive in their expansion is hard to say!
I mean I presume if the NRl had an extra $250mill a year coming in they'd be spending some of it in growing the game you'd hope?
Yeah I know revenue helps a lot, I guess my point is the NRL should want to expand because it's a great product that should be played and watched all over the country, not just so it can win some dick measuring contest against the AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not weird, plus there are a no. of other reasons, competing with twiggy will doom whatever franshise gets set up or put forward, But having him side by side will not only help, it might rival AFL in WA, by no means will it overtake it,... no way, but atleast carve out that niche spot, similar to that the storm has done in Victoria, which i see as a massive pass...
Alternatively if RL goes ahead without, he would put all sorts of pressure, from recruiting, sponsors, media you name it he'll see it as a direct rival to the force, from taking away juniors to players that should be playing for his union club, the game is similiar enough.. im suprised you don't see how he has influenced RU since they were booted out few years back
Yeh because union has worked so well to support league in the past lol

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Edit this somehow please, not sure what u mean, its like you're just wanting to argue, but forgot a point to make.....
......senior moment buzz??
'past '

Maybe we should ask the allblacks for their support for NZ2 before we consider it? You've said some dumb sht before but asking Union for permission to expand the NRL is def up there!

Colk

First Grade
Yeah I know revenue helps a lot, I guess my point is the NRL should want to expand because it's a great product that should be played and watched all over the country, not just so it can win some dick measuring contest against the AFL.

Exactly.

People on here putting out excuses about why the league should not expand across the country are by virtue essentially arguing (even if they are not intending to do so) that they don’t think that the product is good enough to have new patronage.

People are open minded enough to follow different sports (as with any product) if they are given reason, access and opportunity to follow or consume it and it’s a good product.. It seems like sometimes that supporters have the same inferiority complex of lack of ambition that the code itself has had; although the latter may be slowly changing

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly.

People on here putting out excuses about why the league should not expand across the country are by virtue essentially arguing (even if they are not intending to do so) that they don’t think that the product is good enough to have new patronage.

People are open minded enough to follow different sports (as with any product) if they are given reason, access and opportunity to follow or consume it and it’s a good product.. It seems like sometimes that supporters have the same inferiority complex of lack of ambition that the code itself has had; although the latter may be slowly changing
I've often pondered on why the sport has held itself back so much for so long. I reckon its a psychological thing from our working class roots. You know the old dont expect much, know your place, you'll never be as good a me type mentality of the working class social structures.
I used to think it was lack of money, but that's been disproved in recent years as the game is mega rich now. Then I thought maybe it was conflicted leadership during the 97-2012 period but even with a semblance of independence we have struggled to position ourselves. Maybe its just time we stop dothing our cap, grow some balls and take this great game to be the number 1 national and international sport it deserves to be!

Perth Red

Post Whore
2nd year in a row WA hands down a $5.7billion budget surplus. Good time for nrl to ask for a stadium upgrade and cofe for rl in perth for a new club!

mongoose

Coach
I've often pondered on why the sport has held itself back so much for so long. I reckon its a psychological thing from our working class roots. You know the old dont expect much, know your place, you'll never be as good a me type mentality of the working class social structures.
I used to think it was lack of money, but that's been disproved in recent years as the game is mega rich now. Then I thought maybe it was conflicted leadership during the 97-2012 period but even with a semblance of independence we have struggled to position ourselves. Maybe its just time we stop dothing our cap, grow some balls and take this great game to be the number 1 national and international sport it deserves to be!
My opinion might be a bit tin foil hat, but i believe the NRL (and its media partners!!) only wants players to come from NSW and QLD in Australia. Start getting players from other states and it will diminish State of Origin. Yes I know there is NZ and England too but those countries were playing League before State of Origin existed.

The beaten down, working class roots might explain some of the fans mentality...

Menaiduck

Juniors
That wasnt what you said lol. You said AFL and NRL draw same audiences in their oppositions cities, which isnt so. AFL draw around three times the audience than NRL does.
We dont know what the pay TV city break down is. I suspect a lot of NRL fans in perth, Melbourne and Adelaide consume their NRL via pay tv due to the appalling treatment the game has had in those states by Ch9 historically, but there is no way of knowing that.
Well you can’t know this unless you see the STV metro figures for league in non league heartlands. You can’t rely on the fta metro figure as it is clear to all now that nrl fans are much more likely to watch their footy on Fox/kayo. But as usual you find the nrl negative and afl positive. Same as it ever was.

Wb1234

Referee
What you say maybe true of England it’s not true here.

from 1980 to 1995 the nswrl / arl was in expansion mode. The reasons why teams in Brisbane Newcastle Wollongong etc weren’t added sooner was resistance from local leagues. They didn’t want to see their local competitions devalued

because of the super league war the nrl has been on the back foot for 20 years. Maybe now it’s back to where it was in 1995.

there’s also resistance to clubs who don’t want to see the tv money split another way

if the money keeps rolling in the the clubs and the arlc aren’t going to stop expanding.

Once the arlc has overtaken afl comfortably then they will focus more on nz and the pacific

in terms of not expanding before some of the blame must go back to weak leadership who couldn’t make it work and convince the clubs

you can thank the broncos also. Their selfishness set the game back 20 years

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well you can’t know this unless you see the STV metro figures for league in non league heartlands. You can’t rely on the fta metro figure as it is clear to all now that nrl fans are much more likely to watch their footy on Fox/kayo. But as usual you find the nrl negative and afl positive. Same as it ever was.
Haha you were the one being the negative Nelly saying there’s no rl fans in those cities and therefore no point having clubs there. You death ride the growth of the game more than anyone!

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The Titans need to wake up and rebrand as Gold Coast-Logan so they can grow and stave Lions and Suns of money.

A Titans Leagues Club in Springwood would do wonders for rugby league in Logan and the Gold Coast while making the Titans very rich. The last thing the Suns can afford is a cashed up Titans investing money into the Gold Coast and Logan rugby league clubs.
Gold Coast -LOGAN Titans
videotogif_2022.12.24_01.29.31.gifvideotogif_2022.12.24_01.29.31.gif
I like the sound of that!!!

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The Titans' biggest f**k up is priortising Northern Rivers over Logan. There's 330k people in Logan and it is the most parochial rugby league city in Australia. Former referee David Manson made up a list of rugby league players from Logan who've represented Queensland, Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain over the last 40 years. It's enormous and enough to field a team that would dominate Test football.
Its just like the MCU, all these small superheros getting the limelight with their disney plus shows... when really it should be all about LOGAN
videotogif_2022.12.24_08.11.31.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts