What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

mongoose

Coach
Perth should get a new franchise, not a relocated Sydney one. They need to be given the best possible chance to flourish and not take on baggage of a struggling Sydney club.

The way the Tigers are going you have to seriously start to question their future... perhaps de-merging the Tigers and Magpies and giving the Tigers brand to Brisbane. Let them have the Balmain colours too. Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers continue to exist in the NSW cup. Canterbury or Souths can take over the inner west and give the Roosters Campbelltown as a nursery they can develop.

Gobsmacked

Bench
The next NRL team will be in Christchurch creating a North Island vs South Island rivalry playing out of a brand new Stadium. Announced in about a months time for the 2025 season. Adelaide and Perth added in 2032 in the same year and playing each other in the opening round.

The Bears never come back 😎

Colk

First Grade
The next NRL team will be in Christchurch creating a North Island vs South Island rivalry playing out of a brand new Stadium. Announced in about a months time for the 2025 season. Adelaide and Perth added in 2032 in the same year and playing each other in the opening round.

The Bears never come back 😎

I hope you’re right. NZ 2, Perth and Adelaide is the best combination to go with (in whatever order you choose) in my opinion. I have a suspicion though that this PNG/Pasifika idea will be one of the three next teams. Also another Brisbane side can’t be written off as well

Colk

First Grade
Perth should get a new franchise, not a relocated Sydney one. They need to be given the best possible chance to flourish and not take on baggage of a struggling Sydney club.

The way the Tigers are going you have to seriously start to question their future... perhaps de-merging the Tigers and Magpies and giving the Tigers brand to Brisbane. Let them have the Balmain colours too. Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers continue to exist in the NSW cup. Canterbury or Souths can take over the inner west and give the Roosters Campbelltown as a nursery they can develop.

Aren’t the Roosters looking at talent from the Central Coast atm? If there was any side that needs a junior area to target it would probably be Manly or perhaps just leave that area to the Bulldogs.

In any case, I don’t really see a Sydney team moving or dying (in the immediate future anyway) A club would have to be completely incompetent to die now.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I hope you’re right. NZ 2, Perth and Adelaide is the best combination to go with (in whatever order you choose) in my opinion. I have a suspicion though that this PNG/Pasifika idea will be one of the three next teams. Also another Brisbane side can’t be written off as well
I think it grabs good headlines the Pacifika thing but we have a very good test case to observe in Super Rugby where they just got flogged for the 5th time in front of 6 people. There's no way that hasn't been observed at NRL hq.
The government hasn't followed up with any figures for a PNG team out of Cairns , so you can assume it's the usual lip service of government and unlikely to progress beyond that.
And I would hope that the NRL have learnt their lesson about oversaturated City. QLD is perfect with 4 clubs and if they are to get another, I'd say Sunshine Coast in around 20 years time when they have a massive population currently building strong.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Wtf? Give the Roosters Campbelltown?

So the best situated club in regards to financial resources and influence gets one of the biggest junior nurseries?

You might as well make it a 1 team competition.

You did nail something. There aren't too many teams in Sydney, there are too many badly run teams in Sydney. But that number is decreasing. For years Souths and Penrith were struggling but they have now joined the elite category of clubs in the competition. I can foresee the Bulldogs getting back there too.

taipan

Referee
Why would expansion proposals, decisions, be imminent ,when they have just introduced a team in a considered and tested manner ? And it needs time to settle in after all the hoopla jazz.

Talking about something is hardly an indication of a decision being imminent LOL. Talk is cheap.

Wb1234

Referee
My favourite badge, the best was when it on the inagural Brisbane Broncos beautiful yellow jersey, the blue just pops
View attachment 71718
View attachment 71719

Im not even a brisbane fan, and i think thats the best RL jersey ever created
Waits for the meltdown in Logan in 3,2,1

yes

Wb1234

Referee

So the best situated club in regards to financial resources and influence gets one of the biggest junior nurseries?

You did nail something. There aren't too many teams in Sydney, there are too many badly run teams in Sydney. But that number is decreasing. For years Souths and Penrith were struggling but they have now joined the elite category of clubs in the competition. I can foresee the Bulldogs getting back there too.
This

mongoose

Coach
Aren’t the Roosters looking at talent from the Central Coast atm? If there was any side that needs a junior area to target it would probably be Manly or perhaps just leave that area to the Bulldogs.

In any case, I don’t really see a Sydney team moving or dying (in the immediate future anyway) A club would have to be completely incompetent to die now.
well it doesn't have to be the roosters, the point is that just because a team relocates doesn't mean their catchment can't be taken over by someone else.

Not saying the Tigers are going to die but you kill two birds with one stone relocating a Sydney team to Brisbane and also adding Perth. You keep the comp at 18 teams and also get another Brisbane based club.

I think this idea of 20 teams is a long way off, in fact i'm not convinced we could ever have a quality 20 team comp. The Cowboys vs Titans game yesterday wasn't great viewing IMO... the world is obsessed with content though.

Gobsmacked

Bench
well it doesn't have to be the roosters, the point is that just because a team relocates doesn't mean their catchment can't be taken over by someone else.

Not saying the Tigers are going to die but you kill two birds with one stone relocating a Sydney team to Brisbane and also adding Perth. You keep the comp at 18 teams and also get another Brisbane based club.

I think this idea of 20 teams is a long way off, in fact i'm not convinced we could ever have a quality 20 team comp. The Cowboys vs Titans game yesterday wasn't great viewing IMO... the world is obsessed with content though.
Adding a Sydney team to Brisbane would be like Adding water to a oil fire.
Maybe the Israeli army could bolster thier stocks and draft some Palestinians?

Wb1234

Referee
Adding a Sydney team to Brisbane would be like Adding water to a oil fire.
Maybe the Israeli army could bolster thier stocks and draft some Palestinians?
If they did demerge the tigers it would work well with easts

magpies should be based primarily at Campbelltown

Colk

First Grade

I get your concerns about quality. Nevertheless quality is a subjective thing and I’m not as downhearted about it as you are.

I think we are perhaps going too quickly on 20 teams; however, we can get to that point so long as you work on a few things: cap and equalisation measures, continued growth in wages (to the point where you can raid other sports and competitions more effectively) and there is increased money spent on development and pathways.

I think the biggest factor are some clubs themselves. For example, you mentioned the Tigers in your original post. They bought some really quality players in the off season and on paper their team isn’t that bad (it’s not fantastic but it is definitely not terrible) yet they are still not performing at all. That’s not a quality in roster argument that’s a club being really poorly run.

Wb1234

Referee
Even if it was a bad game it still outrated the afl

in a 20 or 24 team comp you will get maybe four bad games a week and it won’t matter the ratings will justify it

you’re never going to get every game being great even if it was a ten team comp

Colk

First Grade
Manly? Manly could have the whole of North Sydney but are too incompetent to grow out of their little secluded corner

I think Manly have a feeder relationship with Blacktown at the moment don’t they? That would suggest to me that they are the club most in need of an area.

Colk

First Grade
Even if it was a bad game it still outrated the afl

in a 20 or 24 team comp you will get maybe four bad games a week and it won’t matter the ratings will justify it

you’re never going to get every game being great even if it was a ten team comp

I agree to a point. If the Tigers were part of a ten team competition they would still struggle if they are being run the same way, so you are right there.

However, I would suggest that there is always a balance to be struck.

Colk

First Grade
I think it grabs good headlines the Pacifika thing but we have a very good test case to observe in Super Rugby where they just got flogged for the 5th time in front of 6 people. There's no way that hasn't been observed at NRL hq.
The government hasn't followed up with any figures for a PNG team out of Cairns , so you can assume it's the usual lip service of government and unlikely to progress beyond that.
And I would hope that the NRL have learnt their lesson about oversaturated City. QLD is perfect with 4 clubs and if they are to get another, I'd say Sunshine Coast in around 20 years time when they have a massive population currently building strong.

Mate I don’t disagree with you at all. Adding another team in Brisbane would weaken existing sides there and that is not the point of expansion. However, on the Queensland thing I just would not be surprised.

We have been; at least historically, a pretty reactive sport. For example, we had people up in Queensland like Hatcher originally saying we shouldn’t have a second side and after a bit of initial success, now they are saying we should have a third side. They just follow whichever way the wind is blowing

RedVee_8

Juniors

Piss off. If those teams split the Magpies should return to Macarthur where the juniors are. Not to mention the return of the Magettes cheerleaders
If they did demerge the tigers it would work well with easts

magpies should be based primarily at Campbelltown
That’s better. I’m happy enough for the Tiger half to go to Brissy or Perth.

Latest posts