What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

BuffaloRules

Coach
We seem to have moved on from PNG being the best team?

Maybe best to promise them a spot in 2030 (whenever) as a part of the 19 & 20 allocation. The Aust & PNG Governments can use the extra time to improve the infrastructure and pathways.

I’ve always been a little surprised that the Albo Govt have been so gung ho on this. In the past Aussie Govts have been wary ? vigilant ? about Visa’s and those they consider likely to stay after expiration.
Perhaps part of this PNG for NRL push is a relaxation on PNG migration? I assume the deal is multi layered?
Sorry if this is too political.

I would love to see an NRL team in PNG… but I have some concerns about them fielding competitive teams in the medium term…are there currently any PNG juniors coming through NRL teams development squads…not talking about ones born there and moved to Aust as a 5 yr old…but 15/16/17 year olds identified over there …I dont know the answer to this ..genuine question..

I also don’t like the idea of bringing in a sporting team primarily for Political reasons… we see politicians back flipping in this country all the time…never mind when there is a change of government..

If the Aust Govt is serious about this long term… start pumping money into their juniors now through coaching and facilities improvements…also perhaps offer some scholarships for kids to be brought over here to benefit from Aust coaching …hopefully this should produce some results over the next 8-10 years …. This is not going to be a short term thing … so I would be thinking that making the investments now in coaching and development should hopefully lead to a production line of talent they can capitalise on when they are Team 20 in about 10 years time ..

I would be going with Perth as Team 18 by 2026… if Nick Politis is talking them up, then it’s probably a done deal in my view… particularly given the success they have had with their recent crowds..time has come to put another team in AFL heartland and take the initiative from them for once …

Omott91

Juniors
I would love to see an NRL team in PNG… but I have some concerns about them fielding competitive teams in the medium term…are there currently any PNG juniors coming through NRL teams development squads…not talking about ones born there and moved to Aust as a 5 yr old…but 15/16/17 year olds identified over there …I dont know the answer to this ..genuine question..

I also don’t like the idea of bringing in a sporting team primarily for Political reasons… we see politicians back flipping in this country all the time…never mind when there is a change of government..

If the Aust Govt is serious about this long term… start pumping money into their juniors now through coaching and facilities improvements…also perhaps offer some scholarships for kids to be brought over here to benefit from Aust coaching …hopefully this should produce some results over the next 8-10 years …. This is not going to be a short term thing … so I would be thinking that making the investments now in coaching and development should hopefully lead to a production line of talent they can capitalise on when they are Team 20 in about 10 years time ..

I would be going with Perth as Team 18 by 2026… if Nick Politis is talking them up, then it’s probably a done deal in my view… particularly given the success they have had with their recent crowds..time has come to put another team in AFL heartland and take the initiative from them for once …
Oz Government just pledged 5.5million to help fund or develop pathways.

MugaB

Coach
Same joke. Same flaming. Still pathetic.
Not sure why Brisbane 3 is coming, the dolphins afe currently 14th, that suggests we don't need the next one coming in in that region till they stabilise for a few seasons... anyway again its a moot argument, QLD5 is a cumin y'all

Pneuma

First Grade
Not sure why Brisbane 3 is coming, the dolphins afe currently 14th, that suggests we don't need the next one coming in in that region till they stabilise for a few seasons... anyway again its a moot argument, QLD5 is a cumin y'all
He really is a consistently boring little man

MugaB

Coach
Dolphins will be better next season - we knew that going in
They won't care about them getting better, it was never about that anyways... step1 find a derby for the bronx, step2 make sure they are cashed up and can pay thier way, step3 make sure they aren't taking away from the broncos in anyway, step4 find an excuse not to go back as we can do this around the game for other clubs.... cowboys are next, then the warriors

jim_57

Staff member
Brisbane 3 incoming

Each Origin series will have a neutral venue and Perth is an obvious choice for one every 3-4 years. Nothing to do with “Throwing Perth a bone since they aren’t getting a team” which I’m sure will be the point you’re going for.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Thanks.Great interview with the former long-term Dockers` CEO and very positive feedback from his current view as the head of a Perth Brand Agency that there is plenty of room for an NRL team in W.A.
Particularly positive for me was his reiteration that he was aware of very strong corporate support for the franchise, essential if we are going to have a strong team coming out of the west.

Pippen94

First Grade
Each Origin series will have a neutral venue and Perth is an obvious choice for one every 3-4 years. Nothing to do with “Throwing Perth a bone since they aren’t getting a team” which I’m sure will be the point you’re going for.

Did V'Landys say that?!