What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Santino Patane

Juniors
Titans opposed Redcliffe's entry. V'landys didn't bow down to their whinging.

The 18th licence will be determined by the broadcasters because they foot the bulk of the game's income. Ch9 have already stated they want a third Brisbane team. The writing is on the wall.
Not true. After initial apprehension, and seeing the business case, the Titans supported the introduction of the Dolphins- they saw the benefits for their club too. I know this from a personal conversation with Steve Mitchell (CEO) not long after the NRL announced the Dolphins entry.

He was wrong about the double header drawing the biggest crowd this year. The Dolphins vs Broncos game sold out Lang Park. Magic Round sold out Lang Park.

I'm glad he shot down the prospect of merging with a dead Sydney team.

He reckons the team will need 20k fans at Perth Oval per game to generate the $10-15M per annum from football operations to complement the $15M they get from the grant. He admitted a team will operate on $30-35M.

@Canard, do you still stand by your erroneous claim that teams operate on just $15M from the annual grant and don't need money from football operations?

Not true. After initial apprehension, and seeing the business case, the Titans supported the introduction of the Dolphins- they saw the benefits for their club too. I know this from a personal conversation with Steve Mitchell (CEO) not long after the NRL announced the Dolphins entry.

The Titans were behind the Gemba report.

Wb1234

Immortal
They paid for an indepedant report which was hoped to find expansion would hurt existing clubs and not raise money

they were shocked when the report found the opposite

mongoose

Coach
He was wrong about the double header drawing the biggest crowd this year. The Dolphins vs Broncos game sold out Lang Park. Magic Round sold out Lang Park.

I'm glad he shot down the prospect of merging with a dead Sydney team.

He reckons the team will need 20k fans at Perth Oval per game to generate the $10-15M per annum from football operations to complement the $15M they get from the grant. He admitted a team will operate on $30-35M.

@Canard, do you still stand by your erroneous claim that teams operate on just $15M from the annual grant and don't need money from football operations?
whats he basing that on? Storm don't quite get 20k per game and they don't have any pokies as far as I know.

whats he basing that on? Storm don't quite get 20k per game and they don't have any pokies as far as I know.

I'd be surprised if they need more than 12k with a fair stadium rental deal with WA Gov. Now is the time for V'landys and Abdo to fly over to Perth and get a signed contract with the WA Gov to make sure the Pirates don't need 20k fans to break even.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I'd be surprised if they need more than 12k with a fair stadium rental deal with WA Gov. Now is the time for V'landys and Abdo to fly over to Perth and get a signed contract with the WA Gov to make sure the Pirates don't need 20k fans to break even.
He`s seems to be forgetting the revenue the club will get from sponsors. If the corporate support is as strong as he states, it could be upwards of $10m per annum, that means they won`t be anywhere near as reliant on crowd numbers.

jim_57

Staff member
..doesn't confirm what ur saying

Perth getting more Origin games has nothing to do with expansion. One neutral venue hosts each year and that is typically shared between Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth with Auckland rumoured in 2027. There is no hidden message.

Colk

First Grade
Perth getting more Origin games has nothing to do with expansion. One neutral venue hosts each year and that is typically shared between Melbourne, Adelaide & Perth with Auckland rumoured in 2027. There is no hidden message.

Even if there were a hidden message why would you automatically assume one position on it. It could equally mean that they are giving them more content before giving them a side.

It could also mean literally nothing as you intimate.

Btw I don’t assume either of those positions I’m just highlighting the poster’s inane monotonous anti Perth thing he has got going on.

Pippen94

First Grade

U don't know that. Having only origin & double headers provides benefit in that NRL can engage west with spending millions funding team which may fold anyway.

Colk

First Grade
Ur in the TV ratings thread hoping the FIFA world cup tanks because in ur mind that makes league stronger. What a yokel idiotic thing to think..

You are repeating the same fatuous stuff about the same topic over and over. That’s pretty idiotic as well.

Colk

First Grade
U don't know that. Having only origin & double headers provides benefit in that NRL can engage west with spending millions funding team which may fold anyway.

You don’t know that either. You are projecting your own bias and assuming that people you don’t personally know share the same viewpoints as you.

Nobody knows the reasoning or the end goal of these decisions, so stop endlessly projecting.

jim_57

Staff member

Perth paid for Origin same as Melbourne & Adelaide do. They aren’t getting some goodwill handout from the NRL because of some ‘consolation prize’ conspiracy.

Perth will continue to host Origins even if/when they get a team so long as the government pays for it and it’s NRL policy for a neutral venue. See Melbourne.

Pippen94

First Grade
You are repeating the same fatuous stuff about the same topic over and over. That’s pretty idiotic as well.

Expansion to non league places has failed in the past. Consortiums of unnamed businessmen have lost interest in expansion teams leaving NRL to pick pieces. Blindly setting sights on location with no suitable bids is dumb. All irrelevant stuff I guess..

Latest posts