What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Pippen94

First Grade
You don’t know that either. You are projecting your own bias and assuming that people you don’t personally know share the same viewpoints as you.

Nobody knows the reasoning or the end goal of these decisions, so stop endlessly projecting.

Yeah, V'Landys said nothing about rusted on afl towns, lol..

Pippen94

First Grade
He was wrong about the double header drawing the biggest crowd this year. The Dolphins vs Broncos game sold out Lang Park. Magic Round sold out Lang Park.

I'm glad he shot down the prospect of merging with a dead Sydney team.

He reckons the team will need 20k fans at Perth Oval per game to generate the $10-15M per annum from football operations to complement the $15M they get from the grant. He admitted a team will operate on $30-35M.

@Canard, do you still stand by your erroneous claim that teams operate on just $15M from the annual grant and don't need money from football operations?

20k per game. Is there anybody not named Perth red who believes that's even possible?!

Colk

First Grade
Expansion to non league places has failed in the past. Consortiums of unnamed businessmen have lost interest in expansion teams leaving NRL to pick pieces. Blindly setting sights on location with no suitable bids is dumb. All irrelevant stuff I guess..

Yeah most of what you write is irrelevant, particularly as there isn’t seemingly one iota of being open minded or applying any context or probability on the subject.

You don’t have any interest in teams outside of Sydney or Brisbane. That’s fine; as everybody has a different viewpoint, but don’t dress as it as an argument centred on logic or not drowning in bias.

For instance, I can say there are no bids (which there aren’t) and you’ll say some made up crap about how the ARLC have already made a decision blah blah.

Or I can talk about about how Super League happened and half the teams died or merged and you’ll concentrate on ones from Perth and Adelaide and forget about all the others. Also reductive reasoning: it failed once, therefore it will always fail (what a viewpoint that is)

Or I can simply say that whatever bid is successful, wherever that may be, will have to convince the ARLC as well as a majority of the clubs. If anybody can do it than I would be surprised if they don’t have a good business case.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Expansion to non league places has failed in the past. Consortiums of unnamed businessmen have lost interest in expansion teams leaving NRL to pick pieces. Blindly setting sights on location with no suitable bids is dumb. All irrelevant stuff I guess..
And I`d say this is why V`landy`s has pretty well given Politis a free hand on this, hence Politis`s recent meeting with Perth businesspeople, most likely telling them exactly how long and what it will take to build a successful NRL club.

20k per game. Is there anybody not named Perth red who believes that's even possible?!
No one believes a Perth-based team will average 20k. They got about 15k in 1995 without any competition from an RU team. Now they will be up against the Western Force. The Force have had 20 years to establish themselves in the WA market.

Melbourne averaged about 10k in their first few years. I predict Perth will average 12k over its first five years.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
If they get $10m per annum in sponsorship then that will make them as strong as the Cowboys, Dolphins, Eels and Roosters.
It`s a big and very wealthy city and given the parochial nature I keep hearing of in W.A. there could be a lot of businesspeople who are going to want one of best teams in the toughest competition in Australia, even if just as a matter of State pride.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Great afternoon/night at Optus Stadium yesterday, decent crowd of 45,814 for the double header.
Good games Newcastle 30 bt the Dolphins 28 and the Sharks 26 upset the Rabbitohs 16.
Lots of positive comments about the Bears and rugby league in general.
Who knows what the NRL is thinking ?.
It was good catching up with Central Coast lads Nicho Hynes, Bradman Best and Jacob Saifiti after their respective games.
I opened a local Perth newspaper this morning and on page 50 there was one article about last night’s doubleheader, the back page was page 60, so after 10 pages of AFL inwards was the rugby league article lol.
5DCC3D47-D770-49ED-8433-24029F81406C.jpeg

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Great afternoon/night at Optus Stadium yesterday, decent crowd of 45,814 for the double header.
Good games Newcastle 30 bt the Dolphins 28 and the Sharks 26 upset the Rabbitohs 16.
Lots of positive comments about the Bears and rugby league in general.
Who knows what the NRL is thinking ?.
It was good catching up with Central Coast lads Nicho Hynes, Bradman Best and Jacob Saifiti after their respective games.
I opened a local Perth newspaper this morning and on page 50 there was one article about last night’s doubleheader, the back page was page 60, so after 10 pages of AFL inwards was the rugby league article lol.
View attachment 77804
Nice photo

you look like your buzzing

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
And I`d say this is why V`landy`s has pretty well given Politis a free hand on this, hence Politis`s recent meeting with Perth businesspeople, most likely telling them exactly how long and what it will take to build a successful NRL club.
And I should add @Pippen94, reporting back to the ARLC on what his take is on the committedness of the Perth business community. Due diligence is what I believe they call it.

jim_57

Staff member
No one believes a Perth-based team will average 20k. They got about 15k in 1995 without any competition from an RU team. Now they will be up against the Western Force. The Force have had 20 years to establish themselves in the WA market.

Melbourne averaged about 10k in their first few years. I predict Perth will average 12k over its first five years.

I don’t think they’d average 20k but I’d be surprised if it was as low as 12k. Perth has pretty much doubled in size since 1995. First year or 2 would be higher then I could see them settling at about 14-16k average.

Also depends on how successful they are, if HBF gets an upgrade and whether they go for an ‘event’ game either at Optus or aiming to sell out HBF Park. Another thing that will likely work in their favour would be they are unlikely to get many/any Thursday or Friday games because that would mean starting at 6pm on a weekday or 4pm for the early Friday game. They’ll probably be used for their time difference to play the late Saturday & Sunday games.

It`s a big and very wealthy city and given the parochial nature I keep hearing of in W.A. there could be a lot of businesspeople who are going to want one of best teams in the toughest competition in Australia, even if just as a matter of State pride.
Let's hope so. Having strong teams in Melbourne and Perth would be a huge blow to rugby union.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I spoke to lot of local Perth people yesterday, all very positive comments, and some surprising statements especially relating to the amount of games they’d expect played in WA.
Lots of “Go the Bears” comments, I got a heap of messages saying that I got on the tv a few times as well lol.
7ACF1485-AF27-40FF-933C-A2F6DD68C7C4.jpeg

I don’t think they’d average 20k but I’d be surprised if it was as low as 12k. Perth has pretty much doubled in size since 1995. First year or 2 would be higher then I could see them settling at about 14-16k average.

Also depends on how successful they are, if HBF gets an upgrade and whether they go for an ‘event’ game either at Optus or aiming to sell out HBF Park. Another thing that will likely work in their favour would be they are unlikely to get many/any Thursday or Friday games because that would mean starting at 6pm on a weekday or 4pm for the early Friday game. They’ll probably be used for their time difference to play the late Saturday & Sunday games.

They won't have a strong team like the Storm did in 1998. Their first few seasons will see them struggle on the field. Struggling on the field won't be great for attendances. Plus they're up against the Force, who've had almost 20 years to establish themselves. The Force are playing in front of 6k fans these days. Glory aren't going too well. Based on how the Glory and Force have struggled over the last few years, I'm going to be cautious and not too optimistic, but 15k could be possible if things go well.

Centy Coast

Juniors
They won't have a strong team like the Storm did in 1998. Their first few seasons will see them struggle on the field. Struggling on the field won't be great for attendances. Plus they're up against the Force, who've had almost 20 years to establish themselves. The Force are playing in front of 6k fans these days. Glory aren't going too well. Based on how the Glory and Force have struggled over the last few years, I'm going to be cautious and not too optimistic, but 15k could be possible if things go well.
If a team goes well they will get good crowds, if a team struggles they will get mediocre crowds.
Of course there are parochial crowds who will turn up no matter how their side is travelling.
The Perth locals swamped Sharks WA forward Royce Hunt after the Rabbitohs win.

Can I please get a who's who in the team set up?
It used to be PR/GROTD vs anyone/everyone
then it looked like Pippen and WB had an alliance
Now it looks like Pippen and GROTK are in the same bed
Pneuma and Colk still seem to hate all Pippens, throw in some potatoes to GROTD
Where is WB now? PR hates all PVL(Vince McMahon)

I loved WWF Attitude Era. I'm kind of getting that alliances are water bed moving, trying to get the "entertainment" into WW* *

In my mind you are all entertaining, keep it up. Truth.

jim_57

Staff member
Can I please get a who's who in the team set up?
It used to be PR/GROTD vs anyone/everyone
then it looked like Pippen and WB had an alliance
Now it looks like Pippen and GROTK are in the same bed
Pneuma and Colk still seem to hate all Pippens, throw in some potatoes to GROTD
Where is WB now? PR hates all PVL(Vince McMahon)

I loved WWF Attitude Era. I'm kind of getting that alliances are water bed moving, trying to get the "entertainment" into WW* *

In my mind you are all entertaining, keep it up. Truth.

80% of posters in the expansion forum are just someone’s alts having pretend arguments for entertainment. Who you ask? Well I’d tell you but baahgawwd someone just hit me over the head with a steel chair.

It's good to see Ch9 Perth talking about the game. A team in Perth is looking likelier everyday. Attracting sell out crowds of 42k for a.double header is impressive. I doubt Melbourne could do it. I know it's only a one off event, but it shows there is potential.

Maybe a Perth team could average 15k with a mid-table roster?

Could be anywhere from 12-16k, depending on team form and other factors.

Latest posts