What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
How England are still rated a Tier Nation after recent losses to Tonga, Samoa, PNG and NZ amazes me but apparently Australia, NZ and England can’t lose their Tier 1 rating as they have major competitions held in their countries.
On expansion I find it very odd that PNG are currently top of the tree (pardon the pun) for the 18th franchise yet no NRL games have been test run over there.
When the Central Coast Bears were absolutely smashing their bid between 2011 and 2014 we held many NRL games at Blue Tongue Stadium reaching capacity of over 20,000 many times, Perth has continuously drawn healthy crowds, the Dolphins packed out their Stadium when they hosted a few NRL games yet why are no NRL games being played in PNG ?.
Is there no money to be made for the NRL by promoting NRL games there ?, is it to dangerous despite QLD Cup sides currently playing over there ?, I’ll go with the 1st option, unless the Aust Govt’s money is involved it just isn’t worth it to the NRL clubs and the NRL, FACTS.
Dolphins didn’t host any nrl games prior to admission

Perth have hosted maybe ten games in 20 years after their previous rugby league club failed

Centy Coast

Juniors

Perth have hosted maybe ten games in 20 years after their previous rugby league club failed
I’m pretty sure that there was a game at the tail end of the 2022 season held at Dolphin Park.
Even so, with all the risks involved with this PNG NRL bid you’d think that the NRL would test the waters out first instead of just granting these guys an NRL license.

jim_57

Staff member

Warriors played a whole season there.
Edit: Was only half a season, but there were games there during covid Queensland camp out as well.

Before that though why would any NRL club pre-Dolphins take a game to a 10k stadium on the outskirts of Brisbane unless the Dolphins were paying?

Canard

Immortal

Holy f**k that's the wrongest wrong that ever wronged.

You can't be any type of Rugby League fan to not know this, or your eyes are painted on.

Wb1234

Referee
Warriors played a whole season there.
Edit: Was only half a season, but there were games there during covid Queensland camp out as well.

Before that though why would any NRL club pre-Dolphins take a game to a 10k stadium on the outskirts of Brisbane unless the Dolphins were paying?
Dolphins already announced as team 17

Wb1234

Referee
Weird way to word the original statement but OK, there were still several before they were announced as entering.
Maybe you should try following the argument first before jumping In

the point was png should host nrl games to prove it can handle a team

the dolphins got a license based on their qrl team

same comp the png hunters play in

Centy Coast

Juniors
Weird way to word the original statement but OK, there were still several before they were announced as entering.
I knew some games had been played there, I just remember taking an interest because I knew it was the Dolphins home ground.
I just had no idea who had played there.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Maybe you should try following the argument first before jumping In

the point was png should host nrl games to prove it can handle a team

the dolphins got a license based on their qrl team

same comp the png hunters play in
Well the NRL told Central Coast Bears fans to vote with their feet if they wanted a team, we did.
They virtually said the same to Perth, they have also.
Yet because PNG have Govt backing, they can slip in the back door without proving themselves on any level.
NRL hierarchy are a bunch of hypocrites, it doesn’t matter who is in charge.

blue bags

First Grade
Yep, nothing says growing the game like another Sydney team, real under represented region.

great troll mate!!
The players would live. Train . In Sydney
The players would love it
But play games in Papua New Guinea
Somoa. Tongo. Fiji. NZ. And Australia
Pasifika Bear's 🐻
Train. And play a few games
North Sydney oval 😊

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well the NRL told Central Coast Bears fans to vote with their feet if they wanted a team, we did.
They virtually said the same to Perth, they have also.
Yet because PNG have Govt backing, they can slip in the back door without proving themselves on any level.
NRL hierarchy are a bunch of hypocrites, it doesn’t matter who is in charge.
That’s why there is no big public whooha around a perth bid this time around. People spent a lot of money on the Reds/Pirates bid proposal, fans voted with their wallets and feet and govt spent $125mill upgrading the stadium, just for nrl to say nah Not expanding. Until the nrl decide location people are just pssing in the wind.