What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Canard

Immortal
What will lead to "diminishing returns" is having teams in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth recruiting players from Queensland, New South Wales and New Zealand.

It appears your are stating that an NRL club recruiting players from within an imaginary line is fine, but one recruiting outside that line is "diminishing returns".

Why?

And by this logic, are you claiming that all PNG and Kiwi players playing for an NRL club that's not in their home country is also 'diminishing returns"?

My 'assertion' hasn't been scrutinised at all.

You don't understand what diminishing returns means and you're too lazy to look it up yourself, so instead you filled the gap with what you thought it meant, i.e. created a strawman, and "scrutinised" that instead.

Furthermore it isn't "my" anything. It's an economic theory that's a fundamental principle of economics, hence why it's called a f**king law. It's basically as close as you can get to a universal truth using the scientific method, and if you have a problem with that you should take it up with the economists, not me.
You need to see a psychiatrist, but I'll play the game.

IMG_2062.png

How the f**k does this apply to the Broncos, Dolphins and Tigers?

Using your f**ked up logic, expansion into Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth is an example of "diminishing returns" because it'll cost significantly more money, time and energy to get them competitive and yield smaller returns than a second and third team in Brisbane can provide, you f**king moron.

It cost News Ltd and the ARLC an extra $100m over 20 years to get the Storm where they are today. Dolphins have been bigger than them from the day they entered the competition.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Investing in the games growth by expanding into new markets is the exact opppsite of diminishing returns.

If Bri3 is such a slam dunk cash cow, then the NRL would be negligent not to create and own such a franchise themselves and use its untold riches to reinvest.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
A third Brisbane team will most likely have less support than the Dolphins, it will certainly generate less hype. You are also adding 10+ more games at Suncorp which will just dilute the average crowd there. There will be more local derbies, so they become less of an event.
That's your diminishing returns.

MugaB

Coach
A third Brisbane team will most likely have less support than the Dolphins, it will certainly generate less hype. You are also adding 10+ more games at Suncorp which will just dilute the average crowd there. There will be more local derbies, so they become less of an event.
That's a garbage hypothesis, that's what they said about dolphins splitting the fanbase, and the opposite happened, it brang more new fans in the area towards NRL

mongoose

Coach
That's a garbage hypothesis, that's what they said about dolphins splitting the fanbase, and the opposite happened, it brang more new fans in the area towards NRL

Difference is the Dolphins came in 25 years after the last Brisbane club entered. You think another Brisbane club a few years apart from the Dolphins is going to have the same impact?

Difference is the Dolphins came in 25 years after the last Brisbane club entered. You think another Brisbane club a few years apart from the Dolphins is going to have the same impact?
Depends on what sort of roster they have. I think if they came in with a Broncos type roster there would be no shortage of hype, especially if they are playing all their games out of SunCorp and are seen as a genuine Brisbane city rival.

Wb1234

Referee
Doesn’t that dope live in Brisbane ?

he sure talks down rugby league in Brisbane every chance he gets

Brisbane 3 and 4 will have higher crowds than Perth

higher tv ratings and more sponsors

cinders7

Juniors
It all depends on the area it represents.
At the moment Brisbane is represented by the equivalent of the Roosters and Sea Eagles (not perfect but you get the idea).

Broncos v Dolphins doesn't have the class rivalry you see in the big sporting derbies around the planet. Broncs vs Cowboys was the closest we've had and look how popular that has been over the years, despite being 1000kms apart.

If done well I would definitely expect a big impact from a successful Western Corridor bid. It'd be promoting Brisbane's equivalent of Parramatta or Penrith.

On that note, the lack of socio-economic rivalry is the major drawback of Easts Tigers bid imho.

MugaB

Coach
It all depends on the area it represents.
At the moment Brisbane is represented by the equivalent of the Roosters and Sea Eagles (not perfect but you get the idea).

Broncos v Dolphins doesn't have the class rivalry you see in the big sporting derbies around the planet. Broncs vs Cowboys was the closest we've had and look how popular that has been over the years, despite being 1000kms apart.

If done well I would definitely expect a big impact from a successful Western Corridor bid. It'd be promoting Brisbane's equivalent of Parramatta or Penrith.

On that note, the lack of socio-economic rivalry is the major drawback of Easts Tigers bid imho.
Set up a merger with the lower grade magpies, representing the southside of Brisbane, Redlands Wynnum, and reaching West toward Logan and Ipswich plenty of lower class in that area

docbrown

Coach
I expect in 5 years given the wealth of that club the Dolphins will be flying and crowds won`t be an issue in the slightest. The NRL will be ready for the third team based out of Brisbane.
I`m not sure what your motivations are but there is a strong suggestion that you are death riding this club and that`s unfortunate.
I'd argue that the Dolphins are already the 2nd most popular club in Queensland, tied with the Cowboys, after just 2 years. In 5-10 they'll be as well supported a club as the Eels or Bulldogs. Maybe even the Rabbitohs.

The Broncos will always be the biggest NRL club. But Queensland is a growing state that's mad about rugby league and you're now giving young kids a choice about what club to follow. With success, the Dolphins could end up being the 2nd biggest club in the whole league.

docbrown

Coach
That’s because AFL has already expanded to most parts of Australia ?. Internationally we are all over AFL but Union has us well covered there.
Yeah but a half dozen union international games each year can't really compete with an 8 month long club competition.

And as interest in New Zealand grows, so does the player pool. In time, a 3 game New Zealand vs Australia series has every prospect of being bigger than Origin.

Rugby league is the only football code in Australia or New Zealand that can master the multi-month club/league format, internationals and have things like State of Origin/All Stars as extra icing on the cake.

docbrown

Coach

Some comparisons:
City Year Population Teams Ratio
Brisbane 2024 2.5million 2 teams 1 team per 1.25 million - twice as good as Sydney's ratio
Brisbane 2024 2.5million 3 teams 1 team per 0.83 million - twice the ratio of Sydney at the same population
Brisbane 2041 3.8million 2 teams 1 team per 1.8 million
Brisbane 2024 3.8million 3 teams 1 team per 1.26 million - the same as today
Sydney 1996 3.8million 11 teams 1 team per 0.345million
Sydney 2024 5.2million 9 teams 1 team per 0.58million
Sydney 2041 6.2million 9 teams 1 team per 0.68million - still worse than Brisbane today even if they had 3 teams

As for local derbies, the NRL has up to 60-70 all-Sydney games a season. About a third of the season. About half of all games are played in Sydney.

Brisbane currently has 2 all-Brisbane games. Suncorp has 20-24 games. A 3rd Brisbane team creates 6 all-Brisbane games (compared to 60-70 all-Sydney) and up to 36 games in Brisbane (compared to 100 or so in Sydney).

There's no way this is diminishing returns.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Yeah but a half dozen union international games each year can't really compete with an 8 month long club competition.

And as interest in New Zealand grows, so does the player pool. In time, a 3 game New Zealand vs Australia series has every prospect of being bigger than Origin.

Rugby league is the only football code in Australia or New Zealand that can master the multi-month club/league format, internationals and have things like State of Origin/All Stars as extra icing on the cake.
Lets not forget Super Rugby has multiple teams from NZ, South Africa, Aust and their Pacifika Moana team in their club/zone competition.
I don’t watch Rugby by I do know this much.

Matiunz

Juniors
My main question for Brisbane 3 is what differentiates it from the Broncs and Dolphins?
For example can someone from Brisbane tell me what the make up of Dolphins fans is as far as you know- I’d assume it’d be a mix of;
New fans (why weren’t they already supporting the Broncs?)
Brisbane fans of other NRL teams that didn’t follow the Broncs
Broncos converts
Broncs fans that have them as their second team.
How would Brisbane 3 expand the fan base without cannibalising the teams that already service Brisbane?

This is just speculation presented as "fact".

Here's a few actual facts that counter your death riding of rugby league in Brisbane.

Local derbies generate higher attendances than games against interstate teams.

Redcliffe Dolphins and Brisbane Tigers will represent opposite sides of the metropolis.

Bulk of Dolphins fans will be from Moreton Bay. The attendance at Lang Park for the Dolphins vs Knights game dropped to 18,033 because the railway lines connecting Moreton Bay were down for maintenance.

Brisbane Tigers will generate the bulk of their support from south-eastern Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich. There's more people living in this area than Moreton Bay and it's closer to Lang Park.

In my opinion, Brisbane Tigers will have more supporters than the Dolphins.

How would more games at Lang Park dilute attendances?

It's not like Broncos fans are queuing up to attend Dolphin games. Nor vice versa. Each club has its own fanbase.

There's 1.6m people in southern Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan and Redlands. More than enough support for the Brisbane Tigers.

Last edited:
My main question for Brisbane 3 is what differentiates it from the Broncs and Dolphins?
For example can someone from Brisbane tell me what the make up of Dolphins fans is as far as you know- I’d assume it’d be a mix of;
Broncos converts
How would Brisbane 3 expand the fan base without cannibalising the teams that already service Brisbane?
Dolphins represent Moreton Bay in the northern outskirts of metropolitan Brisbane. The region has a population of 510k.

Brisbane Tigers will be the only team based on the southern side of Brisbane. There's 1.6m people in southern Brisbane.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Broncos converts
The Dolphins would already have had a supporter base, also not everybody in Qld/Brisbane likes the Broncos do they would have happily jumped onto the Dolphins band wagon.
I currently support the Dolphins as I have not supported a NRL team since 1999, the Bears last season in the NRL.
It was an easy decision as the Dolphins had no previous history against the Bears.
If the Bears were admitted as Perth, Bris3 or NZ2 I’d drop the Dolphins but I’d still have a soft spot for them.

Latest posts