What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Semi-Final: New Zealand v South Africa at Auckland Mar 24, 2015

African Monkey

First Grade
I personally back Brendon McCullum going all hell for leather at every ball. We've got guys who can turn the strike over and work our way to big totals without McCullum pacing himself. I'd much rather he gets a quickfire 40 instead of a slowish 60 for arguments sake.

shiznit

Coach
One thing this approach from McCullum does is it takes away the run rate pressure...

But he needs to bat long enough... If he bats for 15overs he literally puts NZ at a rate where the rest can cruise...

It's a big IF though...

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Can see SA trying spin very soon if they don't get a wicket. Can't do any worse.

Can't help feeling though that any ball his luck will run out. Guptil getting a bit more strike might not hurt us, give McCullum a chance not to get too carried away.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I personally back Brendon McCullum going all hell for leather at every ball. We've got guys who can turn the strike over and work our way to big totals without McCullum pacing himself. I'd much rather he gets a quickfire 40 instead of a slowish 60 for arguments sake.

Absolutely you're right. I just don't see McCullum doing a slowish 60.

On the other side I would prefer McCullum to get 100 at a strike rate of 130 than a 50 at a strike rate of 200.

Having said that in the time it took we to type this he hit three more boundaries so I think we'd all take 100 at a strike rate of 200.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
And after all that debate the required run rate is now down to 6 an over.

I think Guptil is a key here for McCullum. The longer he stays in the more McCullum feels comfortable about just going for it. If Guptil gets out then McCullum might fall into two minds and that would be bad.

African Monkey

First Grade
Absolutely you're right. I just don't see McCullum doing a slowish 60.

On the other side I would prefer McCullum to get 100 at a strike rate of 130 than a 50 at a strike rate of 200.

Having said that in the time it took we to type this he hit three more boundaries so I think we'd all take 100 at a strike rate of 200.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying, I just feel that due to our strength in the middle order these days, he's got a free licence to go hell for leather. If our middle order was weaker, then I feel that he should be more circumspect.

shiznit

Coach
One positive... This might actually give Ross Taylor an opportunity to open up and play his favourite slog sweep which he seems to have locked away...

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Martin Gumby is so average,what a disgrace this bloke is in the record books for one of the few to get a double ton in ODI's

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yeah I agree with what you're saying, I just feel that due to our strength in the middle order these days, he's got a free licence to go hell for leather. If our middle order was weaker, then I feel that he should be more circumspect.

That's the difference. I think you have a little more faith in our middle order than I do.

For what it's worth I hope you're right.

Guptil not out, too high. Just looked out on first glance. Good umpiring.