What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$2,000,000 For A 70 Year Old Ground And Just 5648 Fans?

The Tigers dont play many games at Leichhardt Oval.....so you think when they actually do get around to playing there that they'd draw a good crowd....right?

But just 5648 fans attended the game against the Storm...this for stadium that some feel should have $2,000,000 worth of tax payer dollars thrown at it to give it a lick of paint!

There will ofcourse be excuses. Like the weather. It was cold in Sydney....

Well Im sorry, but its always cold in winter. And if no one will turn up to Leichhardt Oval now....what is $2,000,000 worth of improvments to the stadium going to do that will drag these people through the gates in winter?

Someone is sure to come out with the old "But we were playing the Storm so we wont have a big crowd" excuse. Here is a tip.....this same game played in Melbourne in worse conditions would get a bigger crowd. The Tigers at best play a handfull of games at Leichhardt Oval every year. They have a very good record at Leichhardt Oval. They were playing a side that was in the top 4!

None of this will matter of course. I'll get bagged for even bringing this subject up. But what it comes down to is simple numbers.

A stadium that is 70 years old.
A brand new, $24,000,000 Stadium at Campbelltown.
Just 5,648 people.
$2,000,000 of tax payers money.
At best, 7 games a season.

Thats $285,715 per game....and for what. Its not like this stadium will be upgraded in any great way. They are giving the Titanic a new coat of paint. Leichhardt Oval is to old now.....it would take tens of million of dollars to bring the stadium up to standards.

That type of money will never be made avalible of course. So lets just waste $2,000,000 of tax payers money so we can remember the days when poor stadiums like this were common place while we sit with 5,647 of our closest friends. :roll:

Kiwi

First Grade
Actually aren't the Storm one of the big away crowd pullers? So that can't be used as an excuse.

Look, if the Tigers were playing 14 games a year there infront of bigger crowds and they actually looked like their future lied in Balmain.....I'd be all for it and more.

But the fact is the Tigers future lies out at Campbelltown in a $24,000,000 Stadium and with that huge junior base out there.

Times change.....its time for some Tigers fans to realise that. Sure it was great when you could go to Leichhardt Oval and watch the Balmain take on Newtown.....but neither of those clubs compete in the top grade any more.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your knowledge regarding the campaign to refurbish Leichhardt Oval is whimsical at best.

I also like the way you avoided to mention the 14,568 fans that turned up when the Tigers faced the struggling Manly side in Round 7, and the 18,883 fans that turned up to watch a very out of form Parramatta side take on the Tigers. Given that both those games hosted teams from within Sydney, and were on perfect sunny days and tonights game hosted a side from another state, that brings hardly any fans with them, and are also known to have the worst home crowd average than any other team in the NRL has nothing to do with this figure being smaller?

Or the fact that it was verging on raining the whole night and it was extremely cold.

I hate making excuses, but you sir are very irresponsible with your ramblings.

Try and be more reasonable in the future with your criticisms. Until that happens, your posts will be nothing more than spite filled slop that deserve as much recognition as urine on a toilet seat.

Good day.

madunit said:
Your knowledge regarding the campaign to refurbish Leichhardt Oval is whimsical at best.

I also like the way you avoided to mention the 14,568 fans that turned up when the Tigers faced the struggling Manly side in Round 7, and the 18,883 fans that turned up to watch a very out of form Parramatta side take on the Tigers. Given that both those games hosted teams from within Sydney, and were on perfect sunny days and tonights game hosted a side from another state, that brings hardly any fans with them, and are also known to have the worst home crowd average than any other team in the NRL has nothing to do with this figure being smaller?

Or the fact that it was verging on raining the whole night and it was extremely cold.

I hate making excuses, but you sir are very irresponsible with your ramblings.

Try and be more reasonable in the future with your criticisms. Until that happens, your posts will be nothing more than spite filled slop that deserve as much recognition as urine on a toilet seat.

Good day.

Did I call it or what! :lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
*comment by nospam49 shows he has no decent comments to make in reference to fact filled post which ridiculed his moronic factless and mentally lacking comments re: Leichhardt Oval*

Eddie.

Bench
nospam49 Leichardt oval despite tonight crowd averages 13000 this season. The last home crowd there was 19000, where were your comments then???

Its a grand old ground, guys like Sterling, Daley, Sirro, heck everyone say what a great ground it is to watch football at. i bet you have never been there, its the Tigers spiritual home and we love it so f**k off and drop it.

If the Tigers have a bit of success we will pack the place each week.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I must say, It's an honour to be a part of the Save Leichhardt Oval campaign.

I got to the ground at around 4.45pm today, and started getting signatures from 5pm up until 7pm. It was cold, but the enthusiasm showed by fans as we asked them if they wished to sign the petition, was overwhelming.

Earl

Coach
The wheather should never be an excuse for Sydney teams, because last night was an exact copy of what melbourne produces every Saturday night. And they still manage to get a core of 8k

Beaussie

First Grade
Mr Carr tell them to get stuffed. Fancy asking for $2,000,000 of taxpayers money to refurbish the shit hole that is Leichhardt Oval, particularly when the local community doesn't seem to give a stuff about the team.

5,648, more like 2,648 and more NRL inflated crowd figures.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mad Tiger

Juniors
Beaussie said:
Mr Carr tell them to get stuffed. Fancy asking for $2,000,000 of taxpayers money to refurbish the sh*t hole that is Leichhardt Oval, particularly when the local community doesn't seem to give a stuff about the team.

5,648, more like 2,648 and more NRL inflated crowd figures.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Typical AFL fan...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Beaussie

First Grade
Yes Leichhardt must stay, with the NSW taxpayer chipping in $2 million to ensure that. Campbelltown Stadium can hardly be expected to cope with crowds of 5,648. :lol: :lol: :lol:

melon....

Coach
Beaussie said:
Yes Leichhardt must stay, with the NSW taxpayer chipping in $2 million to ensure that. Campbelltown Stadium can hardly be expected to cope with crowds of 5,648. :lol: :lol: :lol:
No way in hell should NSW pay $1 dollar into the South Melbourne Swans. I worked for QBE recently Bearthur and they are dropping the Swans sponsorship, Swans are back to South Melbourne. You see its not working...no success. Nobody else wants to pick them up either.

Its only a matter of time now until another season with zero for the swans is completed, and they are taking the tram back to South Melbourne. I wont have to compete with the imbeciles for Fox Studios parking again!!!

You will be gorn from here, in theme with your pathetic team gone from NSW.

Once Dead

Bench
Beatings by St. George Illawarra and Sydney Roosters by 50+
Coupled with beatings by Canberra and then, last placed Manly

That's why the crowd was so crap - oh, and the weather too - but i don't want to ruffle LF's feathers with that one.........Wests Tigers supporters are fickle, and you want to know why? Because they used to follow teams that used to play at their home ground 11-12 times a year - but because of selfish and cowardly teams like the Panthers - Stupor League changed that..........you're on your high horse now LF - but remember, it took a lot of backstabbing and treachery to get Penrith where they are now - you remember that don't you? Or do you conveniently try pass that off?

BTW-have you ever stopped to think that that 2million dollars might go to re-building the stands in the case of weather such as last nights? No, not really

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Don't worry.

I have it on very good authority that LF doesnt even attend football matches, so he would not know the meaning of the word passion, which is directly associated with Leichhardt.

Being the uneducated person he is, LF takes a liking to souless concrete stadiums, such as Telstra and Aussie.

Anyone who has been to a match at Leichardt would support it's redevelopment.

Latest posts