What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$2,000,000 For A 70 Year Old Ground And Just 5648 Fans?

greeneyed

First Grade
It is completely unreasonable for one team to expect taxpayers to subsidise the capital investment in TWO stadiums. Both Campbelltown and Leichhardt are substandard facilities. And they expect taxpayers to subsidise BOTH, with only a half dozen games played at each for a whole season? Doesn't make any sense, especially as there are top quality stadiums 20 minutes drive from Leichhardt already in existence. Crazy.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
#-o

its not just for the Wests Tigers, Balmain PL play all their home games there, as well as all the junior leagues as well.

greeneyed

First Grade
OH WELL... that's DIFFERENT.... :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o #-o #-o

Premier League and junior teams all over the place play in a lot worse facilities than Leichhardt Oval. And frankly, if the NRL team is not playing the same day, there will be next to no patrons at the ground.....

Kid

Juniors
Did any money from any Government go into redeveloping Bruce Stadium? How about North Sydney Oval? Parramatta Stadium, when it went from Cumberland Oval and was burn't down by their own fans? Energy Australia? I don't know if it did or not, i'm just asking the questions.

nospam49, if you are so passionate about saving peoples lives, i suggest you write a letter to that mega rich leagues club of yours and ask them to donate more money to the cause, especially when it comes from addicts, and don't give me no crap about the tax they already pay, especially with the huge wages some of the CEO's are on.

greeneyed

First Grade
Of course Government money went into redeveloping Canberra Stadium. It was done for several sports... done principally for making it an Olympic Soccer venue... and it is a ground for the Raiders and the Brumbies now.

However, saying that Leichhardt should be redeveloped is like saying that Seiffert Oval should be redeveloped. The Raiders Premier League and juniors play there when the Raiders are not playing at Canberra Stadium.... it makes as much sense.

I am not against government money going into public sporting facilities. But priorities suggest that nothing should go into Leichhardt now. It has no access or decent parking, it is incredibly close to other very high quality stadia.... it has had its day.

Eddie.

Bench
Gee it was good to see the Raiders put in there rightful place this week.

Going down to bruce was like a ghost-town, seriously the quietest crowd i have ever heard, bloody shocking. 100 people at leichhardt make more noise then the so called supporters in canberra.

Get rid of both of the stadiums! Campbelltown and Leichardt are not upto to its NRL standards like Belmore, North Sydney Oval and Redfern!

You guys might as well make the trek to the central coast because thats where your future lies!

Cheers
35-0 :D :lol:

Sincas

Juniors
greeneyed said:
It is completely unreasonable for one team to expect taxpayers to subsidise the capital investment in TWO stadiums. Both Campbelltown and Leichhardt are substandard facilities. And they expect taxpayers to subsidise BOTH, with only a half dozen games played at each for a whole season? Doesn't make any sense, especially as there are top quality stadiums 20 minutes drive from Leichhardt already in existence. Crazy.

Get a clue champ. Then post.

Sincas

Juniors
No excuses necessary. Why justify anything to a clueless dope with no idea of the campaign or processes involved in the topic he is commenting on? If that fool had to write an essay on this campaign it would be 20 words long and completely inaccurate.

The ground is not just for Wests Tigers. Its for the whole community. Maybe Balmain residents only pay taxes so that money can be spent in other communities. I mean, they got money spent on this ground in the 70's and have the hide to ask the government to HELP fix a ground that the government actually have a stake in?

Why should Balmain residents have a ground they call home when they can drive to other communities to share their concrete jungles?

Try averaging the cost of upgrading over 50 years rather than 7 games and you might be closer to the mark.. how dumb was that comment??? do you actually think before you type?

The old hospital funding chestnut hey.. good to see you now have 2 points rather than the same old one you normally trot out that the club should pay for it all.. even though the club don't own it and only have a lease of course. Because tenants are always paying to upgrade their rental properties for their landlords. And we all know that the govt doesn't waste money.

I've seen some uneducated comments on this forum in the past but this takes the cake. I hope you are not a student because you have serious research issues, amongst obvious others.

Ok....sports funding.

Why spend $2,000,000 on funding for a run down old stadiums who time is over when the city already has a number of state of the art sporting ficilities to cater to top level sport, and many more smaller ovals that more then cater for the needs of smaller evenst such as junior football of all codes?

innsaneink

Referee
nospam49 said:
Ok....sports funding.

Why spend $2,000,000 on funding for a run down old stadiums who time is over when the city already has a number of state of the art sporting ficilities to cater to top level sport, and many more smaller ovals that more then cater for the needs of smaller evenst such as junior football of all codes?

Ok..... health

Why spend money on hospitals and nursing homes full of the elderly, the infirm, the frail, senile and demented?
Theyre a useless burden on society, costing millions just using valuable oxygen?
Lots more mobile, active, alert and sprightly people around ready to take their place.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

What was here first>? Leichhardt Oval or Telstra, Parramatta or Aussie or the sydney showgrounds?

Maybe this question should have been raised before some of these passionless concrete, concave blocks were built.

Angry Ant nospam49... :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Where do you suggest we move anyway? The SFS can't support a 4th tenant. Stadium Australia is not cost effective. The showground is an absolute shithole...? Where do you want us to go if you have all the answers f**kwit?

Can't move full time to campbelltown - why do the tax payers of Balmain not deserve a stadium for their team to play at?

See....people STILL want to try and personally attack me! :roll:

I mean....Imagine making a comparisong between someones Grand Mother or Father in hospital to an old stadium getting a new coat of paint. Its pathetic!

Where could the Tigers move to. Lets see....

Oh, I know. How about the $24,000,000 stadium Tax payers money payed for at Campbelltown. :shock:

Anonymous

Juniors
Why should people in Balmain be deprived of top class football? That stadium wasn't built solely for the Wests Magpies anyway.