What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2003 Grand Final Discussion

Doctor

Bench
Well how good was that Grand Final?

Simply amazing how one side, the sentimental favourites, could match it with the season's best performers.
I found it interesting that the only Channel 9 commentators who tipped the Panthers were the Johns brothers - both having been part of their own fairytale grandfinal in 1997.
It was very appropriate that the Panthers won tonight - few dared to believe they could win, I was one of the few, and sure enough they came away with the Premiership title.

Very well deserved, and very well coached by John Lang - they were great tonight, I was with you all the way and I'm celebrating with you.

1997, 2001, 2003 - Another win for the battlers and huge underdogs.

tdcockers

Juniors
absolutely brilliant, make my inability to talk in more than a whisper after the game worthwhile.

just remember though, there is at least one team which you didnt beat this year (go the storm ;-) )

foetus_head

Juniors
Good win :D

Im gald you won, its the next best thing to the knights winning, especially when you were versing the Goosters!

And I got my tips right

That Guy

Juniors
balmainbenny said:
The ARL Easts will beat the crap out of the panther superleague scum. It will not even be a close match. Watch Walker score three tries and Wing win man of the match.

Balmainbenny

You couldn't have been anymore wrong :roll: :lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm so happy for ya's. I cheered you boys on all throughout the finals series. There ain't nothing better to see a cocky bunch of rorters get screwed over by a team better than them.

Get out on the piss and celebrate for a month fellas, you all deserve it!!!

Aussie_Knight

Juniors
Crogratulations To Penrith, that has got to go down as one of the best grand finals in rugby league.

Priddis should go on the Kangaroo tour - he had an awesome game.

Its sad for Sattler who will be going to the tigers next year but that tackle was brilliant.

I thought the roosters were going to come out at half time and blow the panthers away - but to the panthers credit they held on and with the help of the roosters mistakes they took full advantage.

tigershaz

Juniors
I new the boys could to it! :D

I almost feel sorry that sattler is leaving to come to my team, I'm sure he will be a great asset!!!

The Popper

Bench
Well, he was part right. Two tries were scored down Walker's wing. LOL!
Onya, Rooney.
It really amazes me how some of these former ARL types hold such resentment and bitterness over ancient history.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
On the field

1) Priddiss, easily the best
2) Girdler - those 60 mins before he was injured, he was inspiring the boys, and some great tackles in cover, wowser of a game
3) Morley - He was sensational
4) Puletua - An amazing game, kiwi jumper for sure
5) Sattler - that tackle :O

MIA

Gower, uhmmm, apart from his kicking game, I think for 2 weeks in a row he has been absent, great captain, great kicker, great defender - wheres his attacking game? The last 2 games, have all been about priddis. I think Sherwin and Orford should be the ozzie halfs, and priddis should tour, but Gower will tour, and PRiddis stay home behind Wing and Beduerus.

Fittler, shoulder wasnt upto it

Wing, HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ahem. I rate and respect wing, and was expecting him to do damage tonight. Thankfully I was wrong.

Matt23

Staff member
Congratulations Panthers...Enjoy the win...party on for the rest of us! :D

Doctor

Bench
Original_Chook said:
Just like for Newcastle in both 1997 and 2001 against raging hot favourites, I think the Panthers, as underdogs, came come away with the premiership....
It just feels right that the Panthers win tonight.....
80 minutes of very good football against what is a very good football side - but I think you can do it.Go Panthers. :eek:

Perhaps not a mistake free first 30, but they followed the general princible that if you hold the football for 5 tackles and get a good kick away you're giving yourself every chance of keeping things level i.e. not conceeding points.

They did it well tonight - if anything it was the Panthers' ability to hold off repeat Rooster's raids on their line, and then within a few minutes be in the area of a possible try themselves. It was gutsy, and it just felt right that the Panthers won.

I mentioned earlier the concept of playing "80 minutes of very good football against what is a very good football side" - I stand by that, because that's what they did and that is how the game was won. Both sides got tired, but the Panthers never switched off - there were moments where the Panthers looked tired, but they weathered the storm and continued to produce tidy and relatively mistake-free football.

You won the game, despite being underdogs, and even though the Roosters forwards did dominate early. The sign of a winning football side is being able to handle that early onslaught and find ways to score regardless of who is winning the forwards battle.

Dare I say well done again? I'm proud to be a one to two week old Panthers fan - As a Knights fan of many years it was refreshing to see yet another criticised and "can't win it" club actually win the comp against all odds and against all predictions from those who count.

I'm chuffed for you. :D :D

PJ Marshal

Coach
balmainbenny said:
The ARL Easts will beat the crap out of the panther superleague scum. It will not even be a close match. Watch Walker score three tries and Wing win man of the match.

Balmainbenny

Hahahahaha what a moron

Sure they may be Super League Unloyalists but shit id rather Penrith to win then a bunch of overated, over the cap bondi wankers winning the comp. Besides as much i despised everything about super league, i really got behind Penrith tonight and im happy for them and also jelous from an Eels point of view, but clearly the best team all year won.

As for Walker , Souths fans would be in 7th heaven, and he was better off waring a Penrith jumper tonight, his ball handling skills are awesome :lol:

and wouldnt the Brisbane fans be crying in their mad monday beers after seeing Luke Priddis come of age!

Congrats Penrith, and thanks for giving me an entertaining night, Scott Sattlers tackle i will remeber for a long time to come!

But im sad to say have fun as the Premiers for now but be prepared to hand over your trophy to the Eels next year :lol: (its good to dream)

GUTS.................Guts .........G....U.....T......S
WWWWWWWHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO{end quote]
Well done to the MOUNTAIN MEN
You stopped another intolerable year of listening to the GOOSTERS!
Party hard and play hard cause the bruises will be really sore when yuor SOBER :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bring your boots next year!
2004- the year the knights get their hands back on "THE PRECIOUS"

Congratulations to the Panthers, arguably one of the best Grand Finals in recent history.

Credit must go to John Lang who must have proven some critics wrong tonight. Can't help but think that he was somehow made responsible for the Sharks failure to win a Grand Final.

I don't think the Roosters could have played any better tonight.

Enjoy your moment of glory and look forward to next season.

All the best!

Benny

First Grade
Well Done!

Loved it, i loved it, i loved it

Was at the ground and supporting them they were like the Dragons

Priddis what a game, set up 2 tries and scored one himself and made so many tackles and that tackle by Sattler will go down in folklore like his father!