What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

Moffo said:
shut up, really. the crowd were unaware that the moments silence was straight after, and they shut up pretty quickly when we realised

I personally thought it was a shame, but I can't say I'm too supirsed. I've seen it at other events where they play the last post, plenty of people simply don't know that the service order has a minute's silence after it.

Also, apparently the speakers weren't functioning on the eastern side of the ground. I definitely heard the announcer ask for a moment's silence on the western side.

It was a simple mistake, no malice.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Moffo said:
shut up, really. the crowd were unaware that the moments silence was straight after, and they shut up pretty quickly when we realised

Isn't what I heard with my own two ears. The ground announcer immediately said, "Please observe a minutes silence", the crowd continued on, he repeated himself, and the noise began to decline, but there were still people carrying on right until the final notes of the Last Post. Forgive me if I think it's disrespectful. Doesn't mean I think they should be hung, drawn & quartered - just take some time to learn the traditions of our nation and hold a little more respect for them, or at least respect those who do observe. Sorry, but they didn't shut up all that quickly, no matter how you spin it. The fact I was watching TV and heard it proves my point even further.

HMS Cheesemaker said:
Also, apparently the speakers weren't functioning on the eastern side of the ground.

The fact that you heard it on television only proves that the announcement was audible where the microphones were.

I was at the ground and I got the impression that the crowd on the western side - who could definitely hear the announcement - shut up pretty quickly.

Now, maybe we just got lucky and all the people who respect ANZAC day were on the western side and all the people who don't were on the eastern side. I think it's more likely that the people could hear the announcement better than those on the east.

I find it dissapointing that they're unfamiliar with the normal protocol for ANZAC day ceremonies but I think calling it disrespectful is taking it too far, especially as far as the term 'disrespectful' implies intent.

Timmah

Staff member
I think what I'm implying as disrespectful is that Moffo told me to shut up, when I'm trying to defend one of our nations most sacred traditions. Disappointing is a better word than disrespectful however, you are right.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Timmah said:
I think what I'm implying as disrespectful is that Moffo told me to shut up, when I'm trying to defend one of our nations most sacred traditions. Disappointing is a better word than disrespectful however, you are right.
Maybe he said to shut up with good reason. Fair dinkum Timmer... you're carrying this into two threads and you've been told it was a misunderstanding more than anything else. Get over it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yankeerugger said:
who is it that plays out of the SCG?
Not sure what you mean. Sydney Swans home ground and the NSW cricket team. lol

It used to be the showcase Rugby League ground years ago yankeerugger. Telstra Stadium at Homebush and Aussie Stadium (The Sydney Foorball Stadium) have taken over that role now.

We still have the odd 'heritage' game at the SCG and its a great atmosphere, but it was never really built for Rugby League.

ouwet

Bench
Willow said:
Not sure what you mean. Sydney Swans home ground and the NSW cricket team. lol

It used to be the showcase Rugby League ground years ago yankeerugger. Telstra Stadium at Homebush and Aussie Stadium (The Sydney Foorball Stadium) have taken over that role now.

We still have the odd 'heritage' game at the SCG and its a great atmosphere, but it was never really built for Rugby League.

Yeah... Pretty sure Manly platy Parramatta there this year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just had a look. Its this weekend in fact. Not sure how it is being promoted.

eels_fan_01

Bench
JW said:
Round 8 may prove slightly better for the average.

Penrith - 19,000
Townsville - 20,500
Melbourne - 8,000
Brisbane - 27,000
Auckland - 11,000
Telstra - 13,000
SCG - 19,000

Avg - 16,785

A couple of those - namely Brisbane and the SGC - could quite easily end up being a bit bigger I think.

I think the Storm will get 10 thousand this week because of that big win last week. It sure would help if Storm had bigger crowds with our average.

JW

Coach
So far:

16,268 @ Penrith
21,175 @ Townsville
23,582 @ Brisbane
8,694 @ Melbourne

Avg - 17,497

We'll be doing well to maintain that after tomorrow.

Timmah

Staff member
So far:

16,268 @ Penrith
21,175 @ Townsville
23,582 @ Brisbane
8,694 @ Melbourne
11,604 @ Ericsson

Avg - 16,318