What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

Brutus

Referee
Let's hope the Broncos v Panthers can attract over 30k. It did a couple of years ago around this same time. 37,000 I think.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Melbourne haven't pulled a crowd over 13000 for 5 years, they shouldn't be playing games at night during the season, only at the beginning and end.

LESStar58

Referee
9,084 was disappointing and our team desreves better crowds with the way we are playing!

Hopefully the crowds will pick up post-Origin.

Trevor Cogger

Juniors
I find it hypocritical when the media talks up the Eels crowd on Friday, all this crap about Blue n Gold Army, when last Friday Easts drew the same and its only described as decent

LESStar58

Referee
joel caine number 1 fan said:
yeh i was gonna go but its way too cold and looks like it might rain and im still pissed of that the tigers lost so maybe next game :?

You big bloody Jessie! It wasn't that cold!

Balmain_Boy

Dad's in Melbourne, went to the game tonight. Thought it was far bigger than 9000.

Either way, he was impressed with the fanatacism of the Storm supporters. He's a doubter of the Storm as well, think the passionate fans have one him over to Melbourne's potential. Said they are getting a fair bit of coverage there as well, a write up in the paper, Geyer was on the news. A few of his mates in Melbourne (Victorians, not blues or queenslanders) knew who was playing and as well. Good signs perhaps?

Surandy

Bench
robyalvaro said:
f**k off that wasnt 9000 at melbourne... even the fox commentators called it a very healthy crowd

There is no way there were that few people at the game, I was there and there's absolutely no way that the ground was only half full. I would've said it was around 11k.

miccle

Bench
There just HAD to be more than 9000 at Melbourne. I've seen crowds there reported as 10k and they looked heaps smaller than that.

Regardless, people have to tip their hat to the Storm faithful. No matter where the camera lands in the crowd, they all have Storm jerseys/caps/scarves etc. on. It's a sea of purple! They are some of the better and more passionate fans in the comp imho.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Trevor Cogger said:
I find it hypocritical when the media talks up the Eels crowd on Friday, all this crap about Blue n Gold Army, when last Friday Easts drew the same and its only described as decent

Parra Stadium - 22,000 capacity or so
SFS - 40,000 capacity or so

Thats why.

fanatique

Juniors
IanRitchie said:
Parra Stadium - 22,000 capacity or so
SFS - 40,000 capacity or so

Thats why.

It was only the third 20,000 plus Sydney attendance this year and the stadium was packed. The NRL needs all the positive coverage it can get about attendances and let's be honest drawing attention to Easts or Souths or Dogs no matter what he crowd only draws attention to the fact that the two big stadiums are largely empty when they play so that explains the celebration of the parra crowd.

I believe in being honest and Sydney attendances are cr2p and any capacity attendance should be trumpeted. Well done eels and i say that as a non eel.

phonetic

Juniors
Gorgeous Sydney weather this morning. Should be a healthy crowd out at homebush. I'm thinking 20k. Maybe 25k at Brisbane, then 35k on Tuesday at the SFS weather pending.

Hoggy

Bench
To be honest I thought the Storm had 12-13k easily last night.

Still got more than rugby league heartland last night though. :)

nqboy

First Grade
And yeah, comparing it previous crowd counts in Melbourne, it looked a ot more than 9000.

fanatique

Juniors
I'm not too worried about e Storm crowd. It's hard to compete for attention with AFL on ANZAC weekend adn League will always be squeeezed there on this weekend. not bad crowd really.

Pigskin

Juniors
i thought i heard 13000 at the bulldogs/manly match on the radio

is this true ?

if it is, disgraceful !!!!!!

more calls for Sydney clubs to be relocated to Gosford/Perth to come, and rightfully so

Oink !

phonetic

Juniors
Yep it was 13 or 14 thousand out there. 2 Sydney clubs on a lovely day weatherwise.. not good enough really.

Hopefully Tuesday will be a sellout to make up for some very average crowds this weekend.