What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
nqboy said:
There were a few disappointing crowds on the weekend. WIN, Leichardt (still a good crowd for a Melbourne game though), Steve Rogers Stadium, Canberra could have all done better.

Clear the decks for Friday night. It's going to be a biggie. We'll get this weekend off to a good start.

I'd imagine it's already sold out yes?

nqboy said:
There were a few disappointing crowds on the weekend. WIN, Leichardt (still a good crowd for a Melbourne game though), Steve Rogers Stadium, Canberra could have all done better.

Clear the decks for Friday night. It's going to be a biggie. We'll get this weekend off to a good start.

17, 800 was immensely disappointing. :roll: :roll:

Perhaps, 36 000 would have been a more respectable turn out since rugby league's crowd average sits at about 15k.

Balmain v Wests, Leichhardt this Saturday.

Expected crowd: 22, 877.

Anything less will be an indictment on the paucity of support that the Joint venture commands.

Brutus

Referee
JW said:
Round 5:

20,262 in Townsville.

Disappointing in a way, but we've come to expect a lot from the North Qldanders over recent years regarding crowds. I really thought the place would be packed despite the weather.

I still think they won't get a crowd under 20k for the whole year.

nqboy

First Grade
TV Ted Ellery said:
17, 800 was immensely disappointing. :roll: :roll:

Perhaps, 36 000 would have been a more respectable turn out since rugby league's crowd average sits at about 15k.
Don't be so precious. If it helps you to understand, it was disappointing in the same way as the 20262 at DFS tonight - a good crowd which coulda/shoulda/woulda been better.

nqboy

First Grade
I was surprised it wasn't sold out, all the indications were that there were few tickets left. I guess they were budgeting for the walk-up crowd which decided to stay home on account of the weather.

On a side topic, I was surprised to hear how uncomfortable they thought it was there - 97% humidity and all that. It has definitely been a fair bit hotter and more humid on several occasions in the past.

Tigertread

Juniors
Brutus said:
Disappointing in a way, but we've come to expect a lot from the North Qldanders over recent years regarding crowds. I really thought the place would be packed despite the weather.

I still think they won't get a crowd under 20k for the whole year.
Disappointing crowd...no way, a very good crowd turned up more than I thought.
It was a sellout (22,000 tickets were sold by Wednesday arvo) but it had been raining all week (and still is) and a lot of out of towners wouldn't have made the trip because of it. There is no undercover seating at Dairy Farmers, I waited until half hour before kick off to go to the game. If the rain didn't stop I would of stayed home. I know heaps of people who had tickets that never went.

nqboy said:
Don't be so precious. If it helps you to understand, it was disappointing in the same way as the 20262 at DFS tonight - a good crowd which coulda/shoulda/woulda been better.

Do you come from Sydney?

Have you been to Leichhardt?

Reasonable capacity is only 21K (it becomes unmanagable when the crowd exceeds this mark)

The Tigers were playing a team who contribute 6 supporters.

The team had been performing ineptly over the past two weeks.

I implore you to find another Syd side who would've recorded a higher turn out in those circumstances.

17, 8k or thereabouts should be the benchmark for Sydney clubs and in time it mighta/coulda/shoulda increase to 20k.

You're right about one thing...the crowd last night was average, irregardless of the weather.

nqboy

First Grade
Turn it up Ted. They're the premiers, your messiah was back AND there was the small matter of the bad blood btw the home side and the opposition.

On a sunny Sunday afternoon at Leichardt, it was strange to see patches of grass on the hill that showed it wasn't a capacity house.

melon....

Coach
Costaki said:
the roosters crowd last weekend was a disgrace. 10,000 to there 1st home game after they won there 1st round match
WHere are we gonna get Melbourne supporters from you goose? Its the same with Penrith Sharks and and Raiders fans...they dont travel.

JW

Coach
20,816* in Brisbane.

I believe that's the highest Souths crowd at the new Lang Park, and the first over 20,000. In fact, I can't remember the last 20,000+ crowd vs Souths at ANZ, so it's a decent improvement on years past.

*According to ABC Radio.

c_eagle

Juniors
JW said:
20,816* in Brisbane.

I believe that's the highest Souths crowd at the new Lang Park, and the first over 20,000. In fact, I can't remember the last 20,000+ crowd vs Souths at ANZ, so it's a decent improvement on years past.

*According to ABC Radio.
An awful crowd, whichever way you look at it.

Brutus

Referee
What was the crowds for the two 7.30pm games.

My guess from looking at the tele 17,342 at WIN and 14,878 at Endevour to the exact person.

nqboy

First Grade
Dodge,
You need to change the format of the first post so the most recent round is first. Makes it easier to read.