What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

Brutus

Referee
miccle said:
Surely you jest?

Brisbane getting over 20K against souths on the same night that the Lions opened their season down the road is pretty damn reasonable. I was expecting something closer to 16 or 17K considering the reasons above and our mediocre start to the season.

It's a sad situation when Brisbane league fans are happy with a 20,000 crowd, 14,000 behind the AFL on the same night.

How times have changed.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Raiders crowds have been disapointing for as long as I've been going. I've been going to the majority of home games since about 2001 and they're always poor.

*Paul*

Juniors
Little relief in sight, at least this season. Apart from actually winning, another yawn inducer tonight.

ali

Bench
t-ba said:
Probably the last game of league that will be played in Adelaide for a very long time...Thank christ that city is dying...

I was expecting better from Adelaide. The rams crowds used to be ok, but I guess it serves us right for slaughtering them. I think we should forget about Adelaide, we don't need them. Future expansion should be to NZ, and maybe Perth if it continues to be one of Australia's fastest growing cities.

jamesgould

Juniors
ali said:
I was expecting better from Adelaide. The rams crowds used to be ok, but I guess it serves us right for slaughtering them. I think we should forget about Adelaide, we don't need them. Future expansion should be to NZ, and maybe Perth if it continues to be one of Australia's fastest growing cities.

The last game played there (apart from Rams matches) in 1995 between Newcastle and St George got 8987, so it seems not much has changed in that time.

r12-01.jpg

Agreed there are many places we will be creating new teams at before we return to Adelaide, and with a crowd like that they shouldn't expect many random matches, either.

Cletus

First Grade
Adelaide just doesn't care about league. When I lived there (including the time the Rams were there) they had like eight teams in the local comp. And that's all ages/divisions. AFL is the only football there. The NRL should concentrate on areas that are interested in league. Central Coast would be good I think, but a western NSW or Queensland team would be good. North Queensland sem to get huge crowds and it's not like it's a huge town.

JW

Coach
With one game to go this round:

21,246 @ Aussie
18,069 @ Brookvale
7,017 @ Hindmarsh
7,174 @ Canberra
26,048 @ Newcastle
15,550 @ Campbelltown

Avg - 15,851

t-ba

Post Whore
*Edit* Damn you JW...Damn you :lol:
Agg to Date:95,284
Avg to Date:15,880

Could be better...Hopefully the Return of Sonny Bill-Hospital sees 15k+ @ Telstra, but I'm not holding my breath.

t-ba

Post Whore
robyalvaro said:
there'll be a fair few at telstra tomorrow...20k+ is not out of the limit...

imo, it's been a bit of a dissapointing season for crowds...so we'll see!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh lets drop Canberra as well! Considering the way Adelaide fans were treat (team being ripped away from them and then nothing for 8 years) RL is lucky that many turned up.

JF_Henson_Hill

Juniors
Perth Red said:
Yeh lets drop Canberra as well! Considering the way Adelaide fans were treat (team being ripped away from them and then nothing for 8 years) RL is lucky that many turned up.

My thoughts exactly.

I cannot believe that people are so quick in bagging out the crowd in Adelaide. I heard there was bugger all promotion for the match to start with.

The Rams used to get excellent crowds at Adelaide Oval. They had a Supporters numbering over 700, with many SANFL Cheer squad members opting to swaop codes and help out. Sheesh, Glenelg Cheer Squad disbanded once the Rams came into being. :shock:

Basically you are saying that developing the game in AFL markets is too hard, so you should not even bother? :oops: If the VFL/AFL had adopted that approach when it moved the Swans up north, the club would have been no more & the game of Aussie Rules would have remained wholely & soully a southern-states sport.

Making serious efforts to try and develop an infrastructure for RL in Victoria should be the NRL's NUMBER ONE priority. Making a serious effort to develop a niche market for the Storm should be something they not not only want to do but take pride in doing, for the sake of the game.

Adelaide would not have been easy. But the Rams DID have good attendences given the support they got. The Reds could have developed a nice little niche for themselves, especialy playing at Perth Oval. Now RL is more or less a dead duck in WA & to be honest I think that is not only sad but a tragedy for people who either live over there or have moved over there and love the sport. But sadly BOTH the Rams & Reds were shunted by News Limited because they knew well that having both clubs in those markets would not really have helped much in terms of increased Foxtel subscriptions. Yes, the development & future of a complete code was destroyed because NEws knew nobody was going get Foxtel in both cities. That is a complete and utter disgrace!

Penrith & the NRL should at the very least be applauded for at least making an attempt to develop the code nationally again by having a game in SA. I personally think to be honest that the horse has pretty much bolted. I mean, if you were a keen Rams fan & had your club shunted, would you be horribly keen on going and watching a game between two teams you don't follow 9 years down the track? :oops:

JF

yakstorm

First Grade
Not a bad crowd for Souths v Bulldogs - 19,529

Same games last year got 8,911 (Homebush) and 13,062 (Moore Park) respectively.

chunk

Juniors
yakstorm said:
Not a bad crowd for Souths v Bulldogs - 19,529

Same games last year got 8,911 (Homebush) and 13,062 (Moore Park) respectively.

Thats a good result for the Rabbits even though majority of fans were Bulldogs.

I suppose thats an advantage of playing at Homebush

t-ba

Post Whore
chunk said:
Thats a good result for the Rabbits even though majority of fans were Bulldogs.

I suppose thats an advantage of playing at Homebush

give it a dozen years or so, and everyone will probably be playing a certain number of games @ Aussie/Telstra. If Crowds can continue to improve in Sydney, traditional venues just won't do. All inter-sydney matches will end up being played at the two big venues to maximise crowds and profit, whilst out-of-town clubs will probably still play matches at the traditional Sydney venues.

yakstorm

First Grade
Despite what people might say about Telstra, the facts of the matter are, that every club which has moved there has enjoyed an increase in crowd support.

Look at the comparasion as well between South's home crowds so far this year and last:

First 3 Home Games 05:
11,445; 14,455; 16,162

First 3 Home Games 06:
16,741; 16,049; 19,529

The convience of the ground, the fact that you are guarenteed a seat and the fact you can see the action on the field, are all showing why more and more teams should consider taking some games to Telstra.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I can't see why big blockbusters matches can't be played there, similar to the old SCG match of the day, and other games at a clubs regular home ground.