What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 // Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
HMS Cheesemaker said:
It may have looked like that on TV, but if you were at the ground it was quite clear that 9,000 was about right.

The grandstand was more-or-less full - 2,500
A few brave souls on the concourses - 2,000
Hill looked more full than it was because of umbrellas etc - 4,500

At least, that was my take on it.

-----------------------------

Where did the 17k tickets being sold thing come from?
I don't doubt it, but I would be interested in the source.

Cheesie, I was there. The match was close to sold out - only General Admission on the hill as available. I know what a crowd of 9,000 loks like (I've been to Souths games) and I can tell you there were more there than that last night. The GS was full apart from the front two rows, the tiered seating around the sides was at least 3k, the hill was pretty chockers, I was on it. I honestly think they f**ked the counter up. The only majorly empty places were the concourses around the front of the hill. Even the concourse walkways were packed.

Interesting. Where were you? Top of the grandstand I guess. I was in the bottom.

Put it another way. I've seen what Kogarah looks like with 13-14k in it. It's much, much more full than that. Even taking into account the new stand.

The new capacity is circa 20k. I can easily see where they could've put another 10-11k in there.

Timmah

Staff member
I was on the hill around the scorebox, and had a pretty good view of everything. I just think there was more than 9000.

c_eagle

Juniors
Timmah said:
I was on the hill around the scorebox, and had a pretty good view of everything. I just think there was more than 9000.
Do you go there often though? The only places where I can pick the crowd consistently are at the SFS and Brookvale because I've been there enough times to know what the different crowds look like. There's no real way of telling how many people are amongst you without knowing relatively what it looked like when there were more/less in the official figure.

As for Kograh, on TV at least, it's always pretty damn packed when 14k gets posted.

Saint Doc

Coach
The kogarah crowd looked right to me (I was there). The new northern stand and the concourse seats were very sparsely filled (despite being sold out). I was on the hill at the southern end behind the posts and the main hill up the southern end was pretty empty (family zone). The hill up the main end looked pretty covered but umbrellas meant people were not as crammed in as normal. Ive been there for crowds of 15,000 and people are sitting on top of each other over the whole hill.

Great crowd considering the conditions though. Cant believe how clear it looked on TV. It was bucketing down the entire match. I had pre-purchased whith 10 others, which is the only reason we went. But i couldnt believe it when we turned up that the line to buy tickets was 150-200m long! Great effort saints and eels fans!

Timmah

Staff member
meltiger said:
Wasn't someone on the game thread whinging about the crowd?

Whats wrong with 16k against the Cowboys?!

Surely a Grand Final replay at the biggest stadium in the comp can draw at least 20k. The Bulldogs v Roosters game at Telstra last year drew 27,111. Granted the return match (in very different circumstances in R26) didn't draw, but there's no reason why today should've yielded less than 20,000. Where did all the Tiger fans go? Today's crowd wouldn't have even made Leichhardt full.

And yes, I'm well aware our crowds aren't good either. Not much I can do - I'm always there already.

c_eagle

Juniors
Brutus said:
Crowds are crap lately, maybe the AFL really is taking over?
The Swans' crowds are up 1k from last year, with a premiership under their belt. I doubt it.

It's to do with the total lack of promotion, "That's my team" ffs.

Brutus

Referee
c_eagle said:
The Swans' crowds are up 1k from last year, with a premiership under their belt. I doubt it.

It's to do with the total lack of promotion, "That's my team" ffs.

I agree.

The promotion like every other year has been pathetic.

Latest posts