What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

mattyg

Bench
TheBourbonBeast said:
I've seen more than 12k dragons fans turn up at suncorp.

Well done penrith.

Will any sydney crowd break 30k this year?

3 games i can say i think 30k will be there.

Rd 4: Souths v Bulldogs (hopefully we get back on track again next week)
Rd 7: ANZAC Day Match - Roosters v Dragons
Rd 7: Bulldogs v Tigers (Benji v SBW)

Moving from Kogarah's not going to happen any time soon.

a) Just about everyone hated it when we played out of Aussie Stadium instead of Jubilee.
b) St George Leagues Club owns the lease for Jubilee for another 10 years or so. Therefore it's easy to turn a profit at Jubilee.
c) $17 million or so has been or will be spent on Jubilee from 2003-2008.

We take the ANZAC Day game to Aussie every second year. Other than that we have refused several offers/proposals from Telstra Stadium, the SCG Trust and the NRL to move games in the past.

In any case, the Aussie and Telstra are central for whom? Certainly not for people in St. George and not for the people of the Illawarra either.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
Moving from Kogarah's not going to happen any time soon.

a) Just about everyone hated it when we played out of Aussie Stadium instead of Jubilee.
b) St George Leagues Club owns the lease for Jubilee for another 10 years or so. Therefore it's easy to turn a profit at Jubilee.
c) $17 million or so has been or will be spent on Jubilee from 2003-2008.

We take the ANZAC Day game to Aussie every second year. Other than that we have refused several offers/proposals from Telstra Stadium, the SCG Trust and the NRL to move games in the past.

In any case, the Aussie and Telstra are central for whom? Certainly not for people in St. George and not for the people of the Illawarra either.

Not all Saints supporters live in the area. Much like the Dogs supporters.

To be honest I think that the Saints could get crowds much similar to the Dogs, big games should be gettign 25K+. But they don't due to the ground and factilies.

It's not like it's a gamble either, as Telstra/SCG trust would be sure to underwrite any minimum crowd figures.

As for the $17mil, how soon will the govt need to tip in another $17mil, and then another $17mil. Face it, the ground needs more capacity, but unfortuantly it is limited by the area it is in. Same reason that the dogs bit the bullet and moved on.

Sure, not all Saints supporters live in St. George. That's true of any club. But the majority of Sydney-based fans surely do live in St. George and the majority of those who don't would live broadly within the area around the locus of points equidistant from Kogarah and Homebush or Kogarah and Moore Park. Plus, of course, it's easier for Illawarra-based fans to get to Jubilee than it is to the other two grounds.

Then, of course, you have to remember the failure that was Saints playing out of Aussie Stadium 2000-2002 and the SCG 1986-1987.

In any case I think we probably need to fill the ground a few more times before we talk about it needing more capacity. In any case by the middle of next year Jubilee will have a capacity of about 22-23k which would make it more than big enough for our needs in the foreseeable future and one of the highest-capacity suburban grounds in the game.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Really, a move from Kogarah isn't necessary until they have to put the sold out signs up more often than not which is not the problem at all.

fanatique

Juniors
Timmah said:
Their army is big and passionate no doubt, but outside that it seems a big struggle to draw fans :?

I agree their core support is as good as anyones and I respect them but the fact is that every year since merger they have underperformed the league as a whole in terms of home support. In no season have they averaged 15,000. That speaks for itself. The Dragons are thought to be a big draw. people predict big attendances time after time, year after year but the established truth is that the active Dragon fanbase is less than the average for the league.

As time goes by i find it remarkable that people are surprised when the usual 12 to 13,000 turn up. That is the support they have.

fanatique said:
In no season have they averaged 15,000.

Season 2004: 15,338
Season 2006: 15,257

Before someone else points it out: Yes, these were the seasons when we hosted the ANZAC Day game at Aussie Stadium.

ouwet

Bench
The problem is the Sydney mentality! The NRL is not a suburban competition anymore! Sydney teams NEED to play out of there 'areas' and in central bigger stadiums! OKI Doki was good 30 years ago but today it's not up to scratch! People want comfort, seats and a nice environment!

innsaneink

Referee
LebaneseForces said:
The problem is the Sydney mentality! The NRL is not a suburban competition anymore! Sydney teams NEED to play out of there 'areas' and in central bigger stadiums! OKI Doki was good 30 years ago but today it's not up to scratch! People want comfort, seats and a nice environment!
Thats why there'll be 10,000+ on the hill alone at Leichhardt today.
I saw plent of empty plastic seats last night.

ouwet

Bench
innsaneink said:
Thats why there'll be 10,000+ on the hill alone at Leichhardt today.
I saw plent of empty plastic seats last night.

Yeah good stuff... Let's keep playing out at stadiums that hold 20K.:roll:

Let's keep RL as a surburban game!!!! WHY Not take the Campbelltown games to Lidcombe oval while we are at it?????

t-ba

Post Whore
LebaneseForces said:

I don't think 'central' is a neccesity. Soccer Clubs in London certainly don't play as close to Charing Cross as possible but still draw great crowds, because they're entrenched in their community. The NY Jiants and Jets play out in Suburban Jersey but still pack the stadium whenever they are there, because transport is adequate and the facility is decent.

It's a matter of good transport, good facilities and GOOD PROMOTION more than it is a central location. It's up to the Government to fix up the woeful infrastructure in Sydney, it's up to the clubs and the community to lobby for better facilities and it's up to the NRL and the Clubs to actually SELL THE GAME.

People aren't just going to turn up to the footy because the footy is on. In Sydney in particular, there are a million different things competing for peoples disposable income, and RL is just one tiny fish in a very big pond.

t-ba

Post Whore
LebaneseForces said:

Let's keep RL as a surburban game!!!! WHY Not take the Campbelltown games to Lidcombe oval while we are at it?????

Manage expectations. The Tigers wouldn't draw 20k playing Manly at Telstra Stadium. They draw 20k because Leichardt is only used sparingly as a venue. It's turned out to be a great ploy by the club and shouldn't be criticized.

innsaneink

Referee
LebaneseForces said:

LOL :lol: well argued fool

ouwet

Bench
t-ba said:
Manage expectations. The Tigers wouldn't draw 20k playing Manly at Telstra Stadium. They draw 20k because Leichardt is only used sparingly as a venue. It's turned out to be a great ploy by the club and shouldn't be criticized.

That's WHY AFL draws bigger crowds! They have expectations and reach them more times then not! Lazy arse supporters need to be encouraged to go and sitting on a hill isn't encouraging!

t-ba

Post Whore
LebaneseForces said:
That's WHY AFL draws bigger crowds! They have expectations and reach them more times then not! Lazy arse supporters need to be encouraged to go and sitting on a hill isn't encouraging!

The AFL draws bigger crowds because they relied on gate takings for the 50 years that RL relied almost exclusively on Leagues Club Funding. It's a big cultural issue that I fear most Sydney Clubs, and Indeed the NRL, are not taking seriously enough.

It's something that's going to take more than relocating games to two stadiums in Australia's geographically largest and most decentralised big city to get the crowds up. Simply putting the games into a big stadium and crossing our fingers isn't going to work. Look at the Crowds StG-I pulled while they were resident at Aussie Stadium!

Raider_69

Post Whore
apparently some bad weather coming in over canberra, might give us a decent excuse for a poor crowd.

ouwet

Bench
innsaneink said:
Other way round, Im already $25 in front.

lolol... Anyways let's agree to disagree. Enjoy your night at the Footy!!!!

Go Tiger's i'm 0/2 in my tipping comp i need you guys to come through!

t-ba

Post Whore
Raider_69 said:
apparently some bad weather coming in over canberra, might give us a decent excuse for a poor crowd.

You guys are lucky to have a Leagues Club that owns half of Southern Brisbane, that's all I can say. ;-)

Latest posts