What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As above, todays crowds were:

Rabbitohs v Warriors @ Telstra 2pm - 13,044
Titans v Eels @ Carrara 3pm - 18,021

Brycey

Juniors
If we're going to get serious about crowds there is going to have to come a time where Sydney teams are set a standard in crowds and also various other criterias and if its not met over a consistent amount of seasons they should have to relocate or face expulsion.

And before you ask, if it came to be my team facing the axe I would welcome my team relocating. Sydney teams probably need to be cut down to 5.

And by the trend of things

Dogs, Tigers, Eels, Rabbitohs (maybe) are the only ones I can think of that deserve a spot atm.

ozzie

Bench
and if "a piece of toasty" is not playing next week how many are they going to have - you must admit 13.000 is disappointing for club that has been playing good football - I wonder is it to late to get back the heartland of SOUTHS? talking to a few supporters from older days they won't go to a match anymore

Timmah

Staff member
As they said - an out of town team against whom they only managed 6k against in 2006, 13k was a good effort.

mattyg

Bench
I don't think Souths have as many closet fans as everyone says they do. Maybe 18 years of failure was just too much for some of them.

The NRL will continue to get crap crouds as long as we continue to have dickheads marketing the game..

To give everyone an idea on a comparison between NRL and AFL, during the telecast today on foxsports 3 for the souths warriors game there was advertisments to become a member of an AFL club, its a good ad mind you.. There were no ads on becoming a member of an NRL club, does the NRL even have an ad about becoming a member of your favourite club? If so i haven't seen it.

The NRL would never be able to come up with something good like that, or have the balls to try and get an NRL ad during an AFL telecast.

The AFL has an awesome marketing team. All the AFL advertisments are very well done, they are either funny or cute, they even have ads to display famous moments in history in a funny way.. The ads focus on all ages, young children with their auskick ads, they have ads that get the attention of the older generation with the moments in history and all the other ads such as becoming a member are focused on everyone.

I wouldn't be suprised if the NRL didn't even have a marketing team.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
sh*t crowd from us, lets not muck about.

Playing out of our district is killing our crowds. I know a lot of people that have kids playing, or play themselves on a Sunday and just can't be arsed travelling across the city to just make kick-off. The sooner we get back to Aussie the better. Not to mention Telstra Stadium being a soul-less library.

Farva

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
sh*t crowd from us, lets not muck about.

Playing out of our district is killing our crowds. I know a lot of people that have kids playing, or play themselves on a Sunday and just can't be arsed travelling across the city to just make kick-off. The sooner we get back to Aussie the better. Not to mention Telstra Stadium being a soul-less library.

Totally agree. Telstra is crap. It has been crap for every side that has played there.

I am pretty sure if Souths and the Dogs played their home games at the SFS, their crowds would increase significantly. I dont know anybody that likes going to Telstra to watch a game of league. State of Origin i understand, but club games.............deadset BS.

Obviously clubs that play there have a financial incentive, but it sure is not helping the fans, nor the game as a whole.

And as a fan, it makes it a lot less exciting when you are watching it on tv to see 70,000 empty seats it ruins it all.

Having 20,000 fans at aussie stadium looks a lot better than it does at telstra

ouwet

Bench
Farva said:
Totally agree. Telstra is crap. It has been crap for every side that has played there.

I am pretty sure if Souths and the Dogs played their home games at the SFS, their crowds would increase significantly. I dont know anybody that likes going to Telstra to watch a game of league. State of Origin i understand, but club games.............deadset BS.

Obviously clubs that play there have a financial incentive, but it sure is not helping the fans, nor the game as a whole.

Maybe Souths but Homebush is a rock throw away from our heartland (Bulldogs)...

The Liverpool stadium would of been Perfect but shiite happens.:crazy: :sarcasm:

Timmah

Staff member
Liverpool? Bulldogs?

Could you get it further away from our heartland? :crazy:

nqboy

First Grade
Dodger said:
How was the weather in NQ?
Seasonally pleasant by Townsville standards. I blame it on the fickle Townsville bandwagon. Two losses, some injuries and the crowd falls away. The performance last night would ordinarily draw in a few more next time but our next home game is against Penrith who don't draw well away from home and are travelling poorly. They might attend in anticipation of a big win but it's no certainty.

Timmah

Staff member
If Penrith play twice as well as they did last night you'll still put 30 or 40 on them.

nqboy

First Grade
Dodger said:
Roosters v Dragons - 18,240
Bulldogs v Tigers - 18,066
Broncos v Storm - 33,750
Panthers v Raiders - 8,494
Cowboys v Sea Eagles - 18,682
Rabbitohs v Warriors - 13,044
Titans v Eels - 18,021

Total: 128,297
Avg: 18,328

Hate to say it but the three QLD games are the saviours this weekend. Let's hope for MNF success at Newcastle tomorrow.
Told ya we were the heartland of Rugby League :lol:

tbone10

Juniors
nqboy said:
Seasonally pleasant by Townsville standards. I blame it on the fickle Townsville bandwagon. Two losses, some injuries and the crowd falls away. The performance last night would ordinarily draw in a few more next time but our next home game is against Penrith who don't draw well away from home and are travelling poorly. They might attend in anticipation of a big win but it's no certainty.

I did manage to fly up to townsville for lasts nights game! What a waste of money that was. Sorry i couldn't make it up for your fickle fans.

But you NQ supporters are alright. Especially the ones at the leagues club

mattyg

Bench
You're right for once nqboy, you outdrew us by a country mile this weekend, but you were still dissapointing.

33k at the grand final replay...Brisbane drew 40k+ to that last year, shoulda been the same this year being the GF replay

18k at cows v manly...top of the table battle, shoulda been over 20k

the Titans crowd was expected, they are still a novelty item up there, and will be for some time.

No excusing Sydney crowds though. But overall, this whole weekend was a big let down, especially when we were thinking of the possibility of this weekend smashing all records.

Latest posts