What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

mattyg

Bench
about 40,000 of those 65,000 seats are in the upper tiers which aren't open for club games. That makes 25,000 seats in the bottom level which are covered. Of these 25,000 i'd say at least 5,000 are X-Seats/Corporate Boxes and the like. 20,000 seats are probably under cover which are available for every game to the general public.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Dodger said:
Saints have been there every year haven't they? But it's well documented their home support is a myth.

That's not true. Saints have two both grounds in my opinion. When Saints are playign well they draw just as good as anyone if not more.

In 92 & 93..even early 94 Saints were probably the biggest drawing away side in the comp. As you see any club in Sydney has the potential to draw well, any whilst Saints dont get as many to their home games, mainly because of the venue imo, they do draw well away from home and particulary Queensland. I'm pretty sure the ANZ crowd record was against St George in 93 & 94.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mattyg said:
about 40,000 of those 65,000 seats are in the upper tiers which aren't open for club games. That makes 25,000 seats in the bottom level which are covered. Of these 25,000 i'd say at least 5,000 are X-Seats/Corporate Boxes and the like. 20,000 seats are probably under cover which are available for every game to the general public.

:lol: you're kidding right?

mattyg

Bench
And that explains the 18,000 crowd. Look at the bulldogs seating map on ticketek, and you can see pretty much the entire second elevation of the lower tier is "unavailable" for the Bulldogs matches. I spose this is:

a) to make it look better on TV
b) so the security guards have it easier controlling the crowd

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mattyg said:
And that explains the 18,000 crowd. Look at the bulldogs seating map on ticketek, and you can see pretty much the entire second elevation of the lower tier is "unavailable" for the Bulldogs matches. I spose this is:

a) to make it look better on TV
b) so the security guards have it easier controlling the crowd

Actually i saw a heap of spare seats there last night:?

mattyg

Bench
I'm kidding??? Each of those top levels would seat about 20,000 people. The bottom level (when there was 32,500 in round 2 last year) looks packed full when you get a 30,000+ crowd. I don't think it accomodates much more than 40,000 people. Of this, about half of it is out in the open.

Point out how i'm kidding please...

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Parramatta as a club has no soul.. thanks to one Dennis Fitzgerald.

When they are on efire for a long part of the season, such as 2001, they are the biggest club in Sydney.

If Parra ever got to a situation where the had a Crowe/HaC management that got the fan base excited again, they'd average more than Newcastle.

mattyg

Bench
yeah last night i think they allowed everyone out in the rain to move up higher, but when you purchase tickets on ticketek they don't let ya sit in the 2nd elevation. When the sky opened up everyone starting filing up to the higher elevation (which is under cover). You can't buy tickets up there usually.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Kurt Angle said:
Parramatta as a club has no soul.. thanks to one Dennis Fitzgerald.

When they are on efire for a long part of the season, such as 2001, they are the biggest club in Sydney.

If Parra ever got to a situation where the had a Crowe/HaC management that got the fan base excited again, they'd average more than Newcastle.

Well Parra was drawing 19,500+ in 1986;-)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think any club with PHaC and RC at the helm could bump their crowds over the 20k mark, maybe even Melbourne :crazy:

mattyg

Bench
your argument has little substance...Eels have won 2 minor premierships in the past 5 years and they have played in a grand final. Theres no reason they should be drawing crowds less than 10,000 to games.

We have won 1 premiership and played in a few finals series', however we've had plenty of controversy and plenty of reasons why fans would turn away.

So before calling canterbury fans a myth you should look at your own...

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mattyg said:
your argument has little substance...Eels have won 2 minor premierships in the past 5 years and they have played in a grand final. Theres no reason they should be drawing crowds less than 10,000 to games.

We have won 1 premiership and played in a few finals series', however we've had plenty of controversy and plenty of reasons why fans would turn away.

So before calling canterbury fans a myth you should look at your own...

A minor premiership is like wining the 7's:lol: c'mon crowds wont come untill you either make a GF which we did in 2001, and our crowds home and away that year were the best in Sydney.

Look at our crowds over the past 20 years? even when we came second last on occasions we still beat a majority of other Sydney Clubs. To not win a GF in over 20 years, yet stil have a following the size we have is great. Cantebury on the otherhand have had great success in the past 20 years ( 88, 94, 95, 97, 2002, 2004)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Dodger said:
I think any club with PHaC and RC at the helm could bump their crowds over the 20k mark, maybe even Melbourne :crazy:

Melbourne need a better stadium, i reckon they could get 20,000 consistently in a modern RL ground.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Kurt Angle said:
Fitzgerald hadn't sunk his fangs in so deep by that stage.

Even our crowds in 90,91,92,93,94 even though we didn't make the semi's and had players like Joe Bartolo, Greentree etc still pissed on most Sydney clubs.

I cannot understand why Dennis is still here?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
People had long memeories of 81,82,83 and 86.. this still remained in 1994, and the parra faithful stayed loyal.

Dennis has just sucked the life and spirit out of the Eels. I feel sorry for Hindy.. I'm an Eels fan since I was 6, and I don't think he'll win a premiership.

nqboy

First Grade
Crowd at Penrith looked very ordinary but haven't seen a figure.

Crowd at DFS was 18682(?). Well short of the 22K predicted for the Match of the round and definitely disappointing but unsurprising, at least to me.

Latest posts