What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Crowd Watch

phonetic

Juniors
Never thought I'd back up Dodger, but yeah, what about that? Wesser was a grub all night , really he was. It was awesome to see Poore smash him in the last 10 mins then give him a bit of lingo afterwards, just to remind him of the St George Bank Scoreboard just over his left shoulder.

The Saints 'home crowd' at Kogarah is not what it once was. There was a decent atmosphere last friday, but really, I don't think we inspired the ref one way or another. We have much work to do as a fanbase.

There were plenty of bad calls either way the other night.. but I think Penrith got a slight majority of good calls.

Hopefully over the next few home games, we can regain our 'home advantage'

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yeah, and you're still incredibly off the mark with your geography. I'm a Bulldogs supporter who lives at Gosford and I can tell you now it takes me more than an hour to get there (Telstra).

As for the rest - You clearly don't even understand the argument you're taking part in.

NSW gets saturation coverage and such due to the sheer weight of teams and the profile of the game locally. If QLD was subject to the same amount of teams as NSW currently us, I can assure you that, as I said above, the novelty would wear thin and the support per team would dwindle. It's the old Supply/Demand chestnut and I'm confident it would hold true anywhere that accepts Rugby League for what it is (the Greatest Game of All).

The bottom line of what I was getting at - your comment "this round was missing a NQLD game" - NQLD can't have a home game every week. It was a stupid comment to start with. That's what I was getting at ;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
phonetic said:
Never thought I'd back up Dodger, but yeah, what about that? Wesser was a grub all night , really he was. It was awesome to see Poore smash him in the last 10 mins then give him a bit of lingo afterwards, just to remind him of the St George Bank Scoreboard just over his left shoulder.

The Saints 'home crowd' at Kogarah is not what it once was. There was a decent atmosphere last friday, but really, I don't think we inspired the ref one way or another. We have much work to do as a fanbase.

There were plenty of bad calls either way the other night.. but I think Penrith got a slight majority of good calls.

Hopefully over the next few home games, we can regain our 'home advantage'

Home ground advantage helped them over us in your 8-1 victory last year;-)

You'll be surprised how vocal supporters get once they're wining. Start wining and the Saints are as vocal as anyother Sydney side.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Dodger said:
Yeah, and you're still incredibly off the mark with your geography. I'm a Bulldogs supporter who lives at Gosford and I can tell you now it takes me more than an hour to get there (Telstra).

As for the rest - You clearly don't even understand the argument you're taking part in.

NSW gets saturation coverage and such due to the sheer weight of teams and the profile of the game locally. If QLD was subject to the same amount of teams as NSW currently us, I can assure you that, as I said above, the novelty would wear thin and the support per team would dwindle. It's the old Supply/Demand chestnut and I'm confident it would hold true anywhere that accepts Rugby League for what it is (the Greatest Game of All).

The bottom line of what I was getting at - your comment "this round was missing a NQLD game" - NQLD can't have a home game every week. It was a stupid comment to start with. That's what I was getting at ;-)

1 hour? takes me 1 hour 20 min to Parra stadium:shock:

Timmah

Staff member
phonetic, I was filthy on Wesser on Friday. My girlfriend was embarrassed the way I was shouting out at Hampstead for being a filthy ignorant cheat. It was sweet redemption as a quasi-Saints fan to see him drop those balls and get absolutely snotted in the last ten... I can't imagine how good it felt for you lot.

The atmosphere was brilliant I've got to say despite the small crowd - the hill was pretty packed IMO, as was the main stand - the tiered seating linking the stand and the hill was the big let down IMO.

Interestingly enough - The hill was chanting "Saint George" while the grandstand was quite audibly chanting "Dragons"

Timmah

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
1 hour? takes me 1 hour 20 min to Parra stadium:shock:

Do you drive like a f**king Grandma?

And granted, I live at Lisarow, which has much quicker F3 access than where you are ;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Dodger said:
Do you drive like a f**king Grandma?

And granted, I live at Lisarow, which has much quicker F3 access than where you are ;-)

f**k no!! i have a prelude so naturally i'm a maniac:lol:

Once i hit Hornsby it's just pathetic.

Coaster

Bench
I dont get it, as you said before I must be an idiot.

So you are saying, if Queensland got more teams and more coverage, we would get LESS supporters to games then we allready do?

Thanks also for the geography lesson, but you have drove around Queensland im guessing?

Timmah

Staff member
I'd like to think I keep tabs and have a general idea about most areas in Australia - I work in tourism. If I don't know - generally I try to look it up before I open my mouth.

As for the more teams thing - that's exactly what I mean. Per team the support would diminish - the market would be flooded like it is here and the demand would be far less. QLD really isn't that much further ahead of NSW in terms of support if you look at the figures regionally rather than club by club.

Ron - driving time depends which day the game is too. My two ventures to ParraStad have both been for Sunday arvo games, hence the easy travel time.
Kogarah on Friday was a dirty bitch - took me the best part of just over two hours to arrive in the backstreets of Carlton. Gore Hill-Warringah Fwy between 6 and 7pm Fri? Forget it :crazy:

McCrud

Juniors
Dodger said:

The point about the large number of RL teams in Sydney has long been made - but look at Melbourne and the AFL there. They have plenty of Melbourne based teams and they (for the most part) conjure up consistently huge crowds, crowds which completely dwarf the NRL.

I know it's a different culture, but I think Sydney should be doing better - especially considering when fixtures involve a Sydney based team v Sydney based team.

This year we had a great crowd of 35K to a Bulldogs v Souths match, but people were harping on about it no end. 35K (and greater) crowds should occur more often in Sydney IMO, not every week, but certainly more often. Great crowds should not be such a rarity down there.

phonetic

Juniors
Dodger said:
phonetic, I was filthy on Wesser on Friday. My girlfriend was embarrassed the way I was shouting out at Hampstead for being a filthy ignorant cheat. It was sweet redemption as a quasi-Saints fan to see him drop those balls and get absolutely snotted in the last ten... I can't imagine how good it felt for you lot.

The atmosphere was brilliant I've got to say despite the small crowd - the hill was pretty packed IMO, as was the main stand - the tiered seating linking the stand and the hill was the big let down IMO.

Interestingly enough - The hill was chanting "Saint George" while the grandstand was quite audibly chanting "Dragons"

The hill is always decently populated, as well as the stand. The plethora of new seats is not so readily occupied however.

As far as the chants go.. I don't think you'll hear anything but 'St George' from the hill. The stand might chant otherwise, but they pay the big bucks so that's their call. As long as they get right into it when things spice up, I'm sure most Saints fans would be happy enough.

Timmah

Staff member
The lack of huge numbers can be put down to ratsh*t marketing by the NRL. The AFL make sure it's all done properly and such, the NRL have no f**king idea.

My point above about regionality in crowd figures... if you think about it - in your region on a weekend you might get 33k to just the one game, while we may end up getting 47k (total example for arguments sake) between 2-3 games.

At the end of the day, there are more fans turning up in Sydney over the course of that weekend... see what I mean?

yosh64

Juniors
Yep, congrats to the titans. Since i always use the excuse that it was raining for the dragons, parra, rooters when they get sh*t crowds i should at least give credit to the titans fans for turning up and putting our syd teams to shame.

yosh64

Juniors
yosh64 said:
NRL crowds compared to last year after 7 rounds

2006 - Total = 849,752 Avg = 17,342

2007 - Total = 982,369 Avg = 18,192 Increase of 4.9%

Although so far crowds for NRL are up by 16.6% on 2006's avg for the season.

2006 - 15,601

2007 - 18,192

Teams home crowd avg above last years avg;
Brisbane
Canberra
Cronulla
Manly
Melbourne
New Zealand
North Queensland
Penrith
Souths
Sydney
Parramatta

Teams home crowd avg below last years avg
Canterbury-Bankstown
Newcastle
St-George
Wests

NRL crowds compared to last year after 8 rounds

2006 - Total = 958,932 Avg = 17,123

2007 - Total = 1,109,379 Avg = 17,893 Increase of 4.5%

Crowds for NRL are up by 14.7% on 2006's avg for the season.

2006 - 15,601

2007 - 17,893

Teams home crowd avg above last years avg;
Brisbane
Canberra
Cronulla
Manly
Melbourne
New Zealand
North Queensland
Penrith
Souths
Sydney
Parramatta

Teams home crowd avg below last years avg
Canterbury-Bankstown
Newcastle
St-George
Wests

nqboy

First Grade
Dodger said:
:lol: You're an idiot. Suggesting North Queensland are solely propping up the crowd figures is ludicrous, especially given their last two showings.
You're the idiot Dummah. A poor showing at DFS of 19K would have boosted your precious crowd figures, particularly if it replaced the 12K for your precious pooches.

fanatique

Juniors
Lockyer4President! said:
I don't think the Titans crowd has gotten the praise it deserves. 18,000 when it's pissing down in a sh*t stadium is pretty damn good.

Totally right. It is the Titans alone who are responsible for average being up on last year. Superb showing so far and to be frank helping to cover what has been an iffish year so far by their standards at powerhouses like Nth. Qld., Bulldogs and Newcastle.

Latest posts