What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 Crowd Watch - Final Totals in Post #3778

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennoonthehill

Juniors
That would have been before the Ken Arthurson stand was built. Don't know if that can account for 3-4,000 though.

Last nights game had as good an atmosphere as i've experienced at a Rugby league game, and i've been to grand finals and to the World Cup final at Wembley in '95.

Last edited:

ByRd

First Grade
Apparently around the 8,000 mark for the dogs game, not sure of official figure

BrisVegas

Juniors
8,549 at Dogs vs cowboys

The Bulldogs admin are going to take a bath financially for that. The break even point for renting out Suncorp is a crowd of 15-18k. Not that they could have done much to help things, 15th plays 16th with 8 wins between them this season. SBW, Thurston and Bowen all out. A Broncos game being televised directly before this game. And if I didn't frequent this board I wouldn't have known the game was at Suncorp, I saw no advertisements for the game compared to how the Broncos promote their home games.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Bulldogs admin are going to take a bath financially for that. The break even point for renting out Suncorp is a crowd of 15-18k. Not that they could have done much to help things, 15th plays 16th with 8 wins between them this season. SBW, Thurston and Bowen all out. A Broncos game being televised directly before this game. And if I didn't frequent this board I wouldn't have known the game was at Suncorp, I saw no advertisements for the game compared to how the Broncos promote their home games.

There were bright blue ads in the CM for about the last week, promoting the Reconciliation Cup. Didn't see any tv ads for it though.

It did seem like everything conspired against it getting a decent crowd didn't it, add that it was played on the opening weekend of the Ekka to the list. I hope the Bulldogs do it again next year.

brendothejet

First Grade
8,549 at Dogs vs cowboys

Queensland Rugby League fans should be ashamed of themselves. What a pathetic crowd from a supposed heartland of the game. One game to sell out in the entire city, one of only 2 in the state for the weekend and they can't crack 10k.

Shame Brisbane fans. Shame.

You don't deserve all the clubs you have.

I say we relocate.

Perth Broncos, Wellington Titans and Adelaide Cowboys.

ASAP.

Smiley

Bench
Queensland Rugby League fans should be ashamed of themselves. What a pathetic crowd from a supposed heartland of the game. One game to sell out in the entire city, one of only 2 in the state for the weekend and they can't crack 10k.

Shame Brisbane fans. Shame.

You don't deserve all the clubs you have.

I say we relocate.

Perth Broncos, Wellington Titans and Adelaide Cowboys.

ASAP.

There would have been a much bigger crowd if the Broncos didn't play in the 5:30 game.

bobmar28

Bench
There were bright blue ads in the CM for about the last week, promoting the Reconciliation Cup. Didn't see any tv ads for it though.

It did seem like everything conspired against it getting a decent crowd didn't it, add that it was played on the opening weekend of the Ekka to the list. I hope the Bulldogs do it again next year.

I hope they don't.

Chook Norris

First Grade

well tbh, i hardly see any ads down here in Sydney for games

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I hope they don't.

It's a great way of growing the brand. It'd be great if other clubs were as adventurous and played games at Perth (like Souths are supposed to next year iirc) or Adelaide.

If they get the timing right and continue it for a few more years so it becomes a tradition then it'll really start to pay dividends. It's conceivable that sometime in the near future the Bulldogs might get their 2nd or 3rd highest drawing crowd of the season from a home game in Brisbane.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
well tbh, i hardly see any ads down here in Sydney for games

Getting the Sydney clubs to work together on advertising the games is really important. They really need to start pulling their finger out and start promoting the game in their heartlands, instead of taking their support for granted.

There's nine clubs in greater Sydney. Working together to buy half-page ads in the sports sections of the (most importantly) Friday and Saturday papers wouldn't be all that difficult but it'd get the message out to a crapload of people.

yakstorm

First Grade
I think last nights game is a classic example that you can't just take a game to Brisbane and expect a huge crowd to turn up.

Hopefully all Sydney clubs that have been looking to take matches to Suncorp realise that you still need to actually sell the game to the public if you want them to turn up.

yakstorm

First Grade
Crowd announced as 6,500 at Canberra... tell you what some brave brave individuals there considering there was rain and then snow showers prior to kick off...

Shame it wasn't good weather, the Raiders put on their performance of the year. Still will hopefully mean a good crowd next time as everyone in the ACT starts to go 'Todd Who?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts