What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Crystal Ball - 10 Prediction Questions

cb4

First Grade
2009 NRL Premiers: One player to make State of Origin Debut? Robbie Farah (aswell as Michael Ennis and Terry Campese)

so does this mean farrah will make his debut and get cut after a shocker or the other way around

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Interesting that so many seem to think Manly will go back to back... I think the loss of Menzies amongst others will hit them harder than they'd like to think...

Johns Magic

Referee
Interesting that so many seem to think Manly will go back to back... I think the loss of Menzies amongst others will hit them harder than they'd like to think...

Manly lost Kennedy at the end of 06 and made the grand-final in 07.

Then they lost Monaghan in 07 and won the competition in 08.

I think they were both bigger losses than Menzies.

Scarves

Juniors
Mr Saab, I'd say you've jumped the shark a little too quickly.

The deal is the Broncos have lost quality players in key positions with Ennis and Hannant. Both had big years at Red Hill.

It's fair to say Darius Boyd and Denan Kemp had big years too, they're gonski. Joel Moon leaving the club also cuts the squads depth, especially as he's usually a sounding board during origin and appeared to be improving every year, while young Darren aint young anymore and terribly for the game is probably one more knee tweek from retiring (I hope I'm wrong here).

On top of that they've lost arguably the most influential coach in League history, the man who is regarded as Mr Brisbane Bronco and replaced him with Ivan Henjak, lets be honest, he's on a hiding to nothing.

Ben Teo and Big Israel come to the club. Centres and fringe back rowers don't win you competitions. With guys like Justin Hodges and Israel now at the club I reckon there's an imbalance regarding the teams pay scales and it may reflect in performance. Front Rowers and Half backs should command the big cash but that's just my opinion.

On the Andrew Johns comparison: I distinctly remember Joey Johns hamming it up at half time in the 2000 season match you speak of, he threw a super ball to Freddie Fittler setting up the match for the Chooks. Yeah he had every right to throw his mouth guard. Different situation here with the Brisbane club, the Knights certainly did not lose the depth the Broncos are facing in 2009.

Look I like the Brisbane club, I'm not a one eyed New South Welshman who's trying to death ride Queenslanders and I hope they do make the finals as they never put the cue in the rack which makes for a great spectacle. I don't doubt the Broncos will be competitive in 2009, and with all hands on deck they may even be a top four team. I personally don't see the cards falling out of the pack that way, and considering what I've discussed above I'll put them around positions 7-11.

But like I said in my original post....

"well you can make up your own mind."

So all in all I've enjoyed the debate and ultimately disagree with your statement as I don't think my comments are "bizzaro".

Cheers and man, you've gotta love your league.

Timmah

Staff member
They're losing more than just Menzies from memory though... Luke Williamson, Steve Bell, Mark Bryant... all players of significant value I would've thought.

Johns Magic

Referee
They're losing more than just Menzies from memory though... Luke Williamson, Steve Bell, Mark Bryant... all players of significant value I would've thought.

Bell, yeah he's a loss.

Williamson was dropped from the squad half way through the year, and Bryant is very very replaceable.

Maybe you're right, but I think they can cover the losses. Mind you I'm not sure they'll win it again.

Garts

Bench
We can cover the losses imo. Although like JM I am not sure if we can win it again. I picked us inthis thread because it is the safe option.

Timmah

Staff member
It is true to say there are few other standout option but I suppose that's what the NRL want - total uncertainty and a relatively level playing field.

It's highly conceivable that almost any club could win it next year, although some clubs, in my opinion, such as Parramatta and the Wests Tigers, will struggle to get near it.

Jono078

Referee
2009 NRL Premiers: Sharks
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: Manly
2009 Wooden Spooners: Panthers
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Cory Paterson
State of Origin Series winners? Qld
Leading Try Scorer? Jason Nightingale
Leading Point Scorer? Luke Covell
Buy of the year? Issac De Gois
Most improved team? Bulldogs - Would be hard to not improve by a bit?
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? No

Shorty

Staff member
Absolutely.
It's not easy to go back to back,look how Melbourne was this time last year..and they're a very talented football side.
It's very difficult to get two in a row.

The GF will have different opponents,though Manly and Melbourne will feature heavily in the finals.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm actually looking at Cronulla's possible lineup (and I'm sure I'm missing one or two here and there) and they look like a good bet:

Kearney
Taulapapa
Pomeroy
Anderson
Covell
Barrett
Seymour
Ross
Hughes
Douglas
R Williams
Tupou
Gallen

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm actually looking at Cronulla's possible lineup (and I'm sure I'm missing one or two here and there) and they look like a good bet:

Kearney
Taulapapa
Pomeroy
Anderson
Covell
Barrett
Seymour
Peek
Hughes
Douglas
R Williams
Tupou
Gallen

I'd have backed Cronulla if they had any speed in the backs at all.

Oh, and you're missing Ross

Timmah

Staff member
I knew I'd miss someone out. Bench Douglas or Peek?

Ice777

Bench
2009 NRL Premiers: Manly
2009 Wooden Spooners: Parramatta
One player to make State of Origin Debut?: Glenn Stewart
State of Origin Series winners?: Qld
Leading Try Scorer?: Brett Stewart
Leading Point Scorer?: Michael Gordon
Buy of the year?: Arana Tuamata (It'll also get GI back in the centres)
Most improved team?: Bulldogs
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8?: Yes

Rovelli

Bench
I'll make a prediction that the Final Four this season will be the Final Four next season.

Panthers888

Juniors
2009 NRL Premiers: Cronulla
2009 Wooden Spooners: Tigers
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Michael Gordon
State of Origin Series winners? QLD
Leading Try Scorer? Brett Stewart
Leading Point Scorer? Michael Gordon
Buy of the year? Matt Wright
Most improved team? Penrith
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? Yes

Bazal

Post Whore
2009 NRL Premiers: Manly
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: Warriors
2009 Wooden Spooners: Can't split Tigers and Penrith. IMO the only two things that will save Parra
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Davey Williams
State of Origin Series winners? QLD :(
Leading Try Scorer? Israel Folau
Leading Point Scorer? Terry Campese
Buy of the year? Israel Folau
Most improved team? Warriors
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? Ahhhhh....no