What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Crystal Ball - 10 Prediction Questions

Dutchy

Immortal
2009 NRL Premiers: Manly-Warringah
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: Manly-Warringah
2009 Wooden Spooners: Parramatta
One player to make State of Origin Debut? David Williams
State of Origin Series winners? New South Wales
Leading Try Scorer? Michael Robertson
Leading Point Scorer? Luke Covell
Buy of the year? Ben Hannant
Most improved team? New Zealand
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? No

Changa

Juniors
2009 NRL Premiers: St. George
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: Easts
2009 Wooden Spooners: Wests
One player to make State of Origin Debut?Mick Ennis
State of Origin Series winners? Queensland
Leading Try Scorer? Will Zillman
Leading Point Scorer? Jamie Soward
Buy of the year? Neville Costigan
Most improved team? Titans
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? Yes

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
2009 NRL Premiers: Warriors
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: Manly
2009 Wooden Spooners: Panffers
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Denan Kemp
State of Origin Series winners? Qld
Leading Try Scorer? Israel Falou
Leading Point Scorer? Jonathan Thurston
Buy of the year? Israel Falou
Most improved team? Souths
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? Yes. 6th

Bulldog Force

Referee
2009 Premiers - Broncos
Minor Premiership - Manly
Wooden Spoon - Souths
Origin Debut - Micheal Ennis
Origin Winners - NSW (2-1) (POS - Wallace)
Leading Try Scorer - Denan Kemp
Leading Point Scorer - Kurt Gidley
Buy of the year - Israel Folau/Ennis/SBW
Most Improved Team - Bulldogs
Souths to not make 8
Melbourne to MISS out on the TOP 8
Plenty of big calls there.

2009 NRL Premiers: Still got the feeling the Warriors will drive home.
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: I think Brisbane.
2009 Wooden Spooners: I'll still go with Penrith.
One player to make State of Origin Debut? David Williams or Terry Campese, but that's a given. Still going with my Ennis gut feeling.
State of Origin Series winners? NSW. Someone 2-1.
Leading Try Scorer? I'll go with Stewart.
Leading Point Scorer? I'll go with Covell.
Buy of the year? Michael Ennis.
Most improved team? Canterbury.
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? No.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
2009 NRL Premiers: St.George
2009 Wooden Spooners: Parramatta
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Justin Poore
State of Origin Series winners? NSW 2-1
Leading Try Scorer? J.Nightingale
Leading Point Scorer? C.Smith
Buy of the year? L.Setu/N.Costigan
Most improved team? Bulldogs
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? :lol: not likely.

They must have been back burning marajuana plants next door to you.

2009 NRL Premiers: Cronulla
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: Roosters
2009 Wooden Spooners: Newcastle
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Robbie Farah
State of Origin Series winners? QLD 2-1
Leading Try Scorer? Denan Kemp
Leading Point Scorer? Luke Burt
Buy of the year? Reni Maitua
Most improved team? Parramatta
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? 8th

Liam

Juniors
2009 NRL Minor Premiers:
Dragons
2009 Wooden Spooners: Bulldogs
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Farah
State of Origin Series winners? Queensland
Leading Try Scorer? Aku Uate
Leading Point Scorer? Kurt Gidley
Buy of the year?
De Gois
Most improved team? Cowboys

Bulldog Force

Referee
Blue - My original response, Red - My updated response:
2009 NRL Premiers: Manly Sea Eagles | New Zealand Warriors
2009 NRL Minor Premiers:
Manly Sea Eagles | Brisbane Broncos
2009 Wooden Spooners:
Penrith Panthers after massive injury toll | Penrith Panthers
One player to make State of Origin Debut?
Robbie Farah | Robbie Farah
State of Origin Series winners?
NSW - 2-1 After taking 1-0 lead after Origin 1 in Melbourne | NSW - 2-1
Leading Try Scorer?
Brett Stewart | Denan Kemp
Leading Point Scorer?
Hazem El Masri | Hazem El Masri
Buy of the year?
Josh Morris | Denan Kemp
Most improved team?
Canterbury Bulldogs | Canterbury Bulldogs
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8?
Yes | Yes

_Johnsy

Referee
2009 NRL Premiers: Manly
2009 Wooden Spooners: Parra
One player to make State of Origin Debut? POORE / FARRAH
Leading Try Scorer? SLATER
Leading Point Scorer? GIDLEY
Buy of the year? SETU by a mile

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
2009 NRL Premiers: North Queensland
2009 Wooden Spooners: Tigers
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Terry Campese
Leading Try Scorer? Isreal Folau... Will Zillman will be right there amongst it though
Leading Point Scorer? Terry Campese
Buy of the year? Isreal Folau for talent but from value for money - Bronson Harrison, William Zillman not far behind, watch this kid go if he gets an injury free season, the titans dont need Shannon Walker, Zillman's can be 4x the player Walker can be.
Most improved team? Bulldogs (With Ennis and Kimmorley i think they'll do quite well, boarderline top 8)

Last edited:

dogz08

First Grade
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: Sharks
2009 Wooden Spooners: Parra
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Ennis
Leading Try Scorer? Matt Bowen
Leading Point Scorer? Hazem
Buy of the year? Josh Morris
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8 NO, but close

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2009 NRL Premiers: North Queensland
2009 Wooden Spooners: Tigers
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Terry Campese
Leading Try Scorer? Isreal Folau... Will Zillman will be right there amongst it though
Leading Point Scorer? Terry Campese
Buy of the year? Isreal Folau for talent but from value for money - Bronson Harrison, William Zillman not far behind, watch this kid go if he gets an injury free season, the titans dont need Shannon Walker, Zillman's can be 4x the player Walker can be.
Most improved team? Bulldogs (With Ennis and Kimmorley i think they'll do quite well, boarderline top 8)
Wanna try one without bias? :lol:

gong_eagle

First Grade
I've gone a little overboard and in depth but underneath is how I see your team and their chances in 2009.

2009 NRL Premiers: Manly Sea Eagles
2009 NRL Minor Premiers: Manly Sea Eagles
2009 Wooden Spooners: Wests Tigers
One player to make State of Origin Debut? Glenn Stewart
State of Origin Series winners? If NSW get it right they'll win 2-1, but they usually get it wrong from the coach to reserve bench.
Leading Try Scorer? Don't Know
Leading Point Scorer? Don't Know
Buy of the year? Wayne Bennett (He'll give the Dragons an aura)
Most improved team? North Qld Cowboys
Yes/No - Souths to make the Top 8? I think they'll be a fighters chance but why South's?

I see terrible news for the legions of Western Sydney fans, Parramatta and the Wests Tigers just haven't shored up the area's where they needed an influx of talent most - the front row. It's the most important position on a footy field in todays game. On this seasons results, these two clubs look to be going backwards deluxe in 2009, if either finish any higher than the bottom three or four, it will suprise me.

Sea Eagles if they don't get complacent (the understated Hasler should sort that right out) will be up there challenging again, they've shown improvement every season despite losing name players during the last 2 in Ben Kennedy & Monaghan. They've again recruited well and a few of the lads now have building apprenticeships to supplement their income. With great depth and a hardened culture, they'll be the one to catch in 2009.

The Dragons (coach) & Warriors (depth) look to have improved key area's, if they keep improving I see them mounting serious challenges for the title. I still rate Benny as the best coach in the game, he's arguably the greatest and I reckon he'll prove it at the Dragons.

Depending on how Melbourne recover from their last start, the Storm are still the most talented team in the competition. Although their depth will be sorely tested in 2009, if Bellamy cuts out the whinging and brings the offload into their game plan they are certainly a chance to make a fourth grand final appearance when the road to glory begins. They'll be in the semi finals for sure.

I see The Cowboys making massive improvement, Bowen is basically a new player in 2009 and Neil Henry is impressive as any coach around. Losing the under rated Cashmere in the front row is a concern, however if Manuokafoa fires then they have the talent to be a top four team.

Cronulla are well drilled and play consistently, I don't know what is going to happen with Greg Bird and he'll be an asset for any club if they lose him. But with Stuart at the tiller, the Sharks should be in the semi finals, however they may still be one alpha male prop forward away from a premiership.

I really rate Wayne Bennett but on top of that the Broncos have lost plenty of depth & hooker Michael Ennis!!! He is a GUN and it will hurt them deluxe. Let's get fair dinkum, they'll need all their stars on deck throughout 2009, especially Lockyer or they may do the unthinkable & miss out on the top eight. Considering the improvement of many other teams I reckon they are in trouble and the exasperation etched on Lockyers face after losing to the Storm... well you can make up your own mind.

Geez the Raiders impressed everyone in 2008, they've bought a couple of forwards next year & they'll get plenty of injured players back to compliment their new winning confidence. Unfortunately the Raiders lose "Coach of the Year" Neil Henry in the process. Hopefully he's left a legacy because I enjoyed what I saw from the Raiders - tighten the defence & they could finish top four.

I thought the Roosters were skinny in the centres in 2008 and now they have lost forward depth for next year & don't appear to have purchased anyone of note. They need someone to become a superstar in the backs and a cracker jack Morely type in the forwards to challenge for a title. Willie Mason's lateral movement isn't good enough any more to be a back rower, he needs to add a few kilos and play more like an alpha male front rower - if he doesn't have a massive season, the Sydney Chooks may even miss the eight altogether. It's a crunch year at Bondi Junction!!!

Who really knows with the Titans, it all hinges on Bailey and Scott Prince for mine. Laffranchi looks indestructable, they've bought Zilman and have quality players in key positions. They are well coached and play an exciting style in front of a parochial home crowd. Stay healthy and they could be around on the Sydney October long weekend, these players unfortunately have a history of not remaining healthy and I see another mid table finish. I hope they do better.

The Knights are like the Titans (but respectfully not as talented), it's difficult to draw a line with them. Newcastle have lost the influential Buderus, a couple of forwards in White and Royal, & Patterson's talking up his NFL chances. I like Mullen & Dureau as halves and if the man at the helm - Brian Smith settles on these two with Gidley cracking at the back, maybe top eight???

Souths have super forwards in Sutton, Fa'alogo and Asotasi which will be the cornerstone of their season as they lay a platform for their speedy halves. I like the balance they have across the park in 2009 but when does Big Roy make his return to footy? Without him they'll fall behind early and can not afford another start like 2008. Finals football's a possibility in 2009 but I think they'll again fall short.

Bulldogs should improve on 2008. They've had a clean out, bought a couple of good front rowers and a few respected backs. I don't know much about their coach or who will play 5/8th but Michael Ennis is a super buy if he remains healthy. The long road to redemption begins in 2009 and it starts with avoiding the spoon.... but no semi final dice.

Penrith, I expect plenty of excitement and controversy. They've unearthed heaps of young talent who'll now get an off season under their belt, and it always looks good when guys like Smith and Lewis renege on deals pleading to hang around. Big Petrol can't do the tough stuff on his own and they'll need some forwards to help lay a platform for them to reach the finals. They also need a dominating half back or 5/8th to take control. It appears Elliott has a stay of execution, after all that my tip is he'll be executed and nothing much will change after a few thousand beers at the Log Cabin.

There you go, Manly, Saints, Warriors, Melbourne, North Qld & the Sharks to make the top six. The other two play off spots could be any combination of teams but I'm sacking the Bulldogs, Parramatta and the Tigers, I don't think these teams will feature in September.

Tip - Manly
Best Rough - St. George
Value Place Bet - Raiders
Sacking - Parramatta, Bulldogs and Tigers.
quality post :thumb

** Waits for Wokin wonnys post***

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Wanna try one without bias? :lol:

He picked the Cows to be Premiers, the She Eagles as minor premiers, the reigning spooners as most improved, and given that Campese has already played for the 'Roos (as well as NSW's lack of depth in the halves) it's a more than likely scenario that he will be in a sky blue jumper this year. So apart from the numerous Zillman plugs (who incidentally is no slouch either) what is biased about his post?

As for Godz and the opium plantation quip - LOL!

Last edited:

Latest posts