What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Draw - click here

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How Parramatta get three FTA matches before you lot is beyond me. Saints with 4 is also ludicrous.

Timmah

Staff member
Oh posts 163-166 - 2009 Club Wallpapers have been updated with dates/venues all accurate etc.

Timmah

Staff member
Currently Telstra Dome. Name changes March 1, day after the A-League GF.

Game is actually still scheduled for Olympic Park, not officially changed to Etihad yet.

BrisVegas

Juniors
Melbourne have confirmed the venue switch for Round 1. With the AFL yet to start, and the Storm/Dragons and Bennett/Bellamy rivalries to draw on, hopefully they can pull a big after-work crowd.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25036964-5003409,00.html

Opening clash venue switch

By Russell Gould | February 10, 2009 11:00pm

MELBOURNE Storm aim to cash in on their fierce rivalry with St George Illawarra and have moved the opening round clash from Olympic Park to the Telstra Dome.

Confirming the venue switch for the March 13 match, Storm boss Brian Waldron said several factors contributed to the decision, including a potential lock-out at their smaller home ground.

But the most significant was the tense relationship between the clubs, as well as coaches Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett, which Waldron said had the potential to draw a crowd in excess of 20,000.

"Our games have always created high interest and the stadium at Olympic Park only holds 15,000,'' he said yesterday. "And on a weekend where this is the only major sporting event on in town, we think we are going to attract a bigger crowd than that. And we have an obligation to let as many people as we can see it.''

The rivalry between the clubs began in 1998 when the Storm beat St George in the grand final after being awarded a last minute penalty try. It escalated in their Round 19 clash last season which featured an all-in brawl, started after Storm full-back Billy Slater was put on report for punching Dragon Jason Nightingale.

Slater was given a one-game suspension but that didn't satisfy the Dragons or Nightingale who called the punch a "dog act''. Then Dragons coach Nathan Brown, who has since been replaced by Bennett, also called on his players to extract revenge when the teams next clashed.

"I'll be telling my players to give them a whack. If they go down, I'll be telling them to whack them again when they get up,'' he said at the time.

Waldron said the club didn't have a break-even crowd figure needed to make money and that Dome officials had been "very supportive'' to get them there.

The Storm have played at the Dome just twice since 2001 when poor crowds forced them to abandon plans to play home games there.

But the Storm boss was confident the match had enough elements to attract a large crowd to what was likely to be a one-off return to the Dome.

"We had a boiling hot Monday night two years ago (against the Warriors) and we pulled over 20,000,'' Waldron said. "Given the significance of the team we are playing, a stand alone game in Melbourne and the first one of the year, we would certainly anticipate we would get a really healthy crowd.''

Waldron also said they would use the game to raise funds and pay tribute to the victims of the bushfires that have ravaged Victoria. Rugby league officials in NSW also announced a donation of $100,000 to bushfire victims, split between the Red Cross, Lifeline Australia and the Children's Hospital Foundations.

Timmah

Staff member
I have received correspondence from Bluetongue Stadium that the Manly v Newcastle Round 20 match scheduled for Brookvale will be moved to Bluetongue Stadium. I imagine that will be confirmed at a later date.

Timmah

Staff member
Sure am.

Date and time for SOU/MEL Perth match in Round 14:

Perth Game Date and Time Confirmed By NRL

11 Feb 2009

PerthDateDetail-8c7839a3-7d3c-447b-8162-595eebb04599.jpg
The NRL has confirmed the date and time of the Rabbitohs round 14 game against the Melbourne Storm in Perth.
The Rabbitohs will take on the Storm on Saturday 13 June at 7:30pm Perth time (9:30pm Sydney time) at Members Equity Stadium.
The game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports.
Tickets will go on sale later this week for the game through Ticketmaster. Keep an eye on www.rabbitohs.com.au.
If you are thinking of travelling west for the game, you can book flights to Perth through the Virgin Blue booking tile which can be found on the right hand side of this webpage on www.rabbitohs.com.au.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/News/Club-News/Perth-Game-Date-and-Time-Confirmed-By-NRL.html

Timmah

Staff member
ROUND 1 CLASH RETURNED TO OLYMPIC PARK TO AID BUSHFIRE RELIEF
The Melbourne Storm’s Round One clash against the St George-Illawarra Dragons has been moved back to Olympic Park as a token of goodwill for the Bushfire Relief Concert to be held at the MCG the following night.
Given the AFL’s NAB Cup Final was scheduled to be played at Etihad Stadium on the same night as the concert, the Victorian State Government has asked the AFL if they could move their game to the Friday night beforehand.
This in turn meant the Storm was asked if they could move their opening game of the season back to Olympic Park.
In light of the tragic fires that have engulfed Victoria in recent weeks, Storm CEO Brian Waldron had no hesitation in granting the State Government their request.
“We’ve all seen what has happened in Victoria in recent times and we’ve all been touched by the tragic stories that we’ve been hearing,” said Waldron.
“The people of Australia have opened their hearts and given so much to help those affected, and having this concert as a stand alone event in Melbourne is vital to raising as much money as possible.
“As such, when we were asked to move our game back to Olympic Park, we were only too happy to, given the honourable reasons behind the request.”
Given the history between the two teams, and the always intense head-to-head battle between head coaches Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett, the game’s blockbuster status is justified regardless of the venue.
“We’d expect the game to peak the interest of many people in Melbourne, and we’re sure, given the past battles between the two clubs, we’ll get a sensational crowd at the game,” said Waldron.
“Many of us remember fondly that amazing comeback by the Storm to win the 1999 Grand Final against the Dragons, and of course the teams didn’t exactly see eye to eye in the corresponding clash at Olympic Park last year.
“As a result, we expect tickets to be at a premium and I encourage all people to buy their tickets early to avoid disappointment.”
Tickets go on sale at midday on Friday, 27th February through Ticketek on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au.
For those who have already purchased tickets, please go to the Melbourne Storm website, www.melbournestorm.com.au, for further information as it comes to hand.
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=17498

snogard6

Juniors
This is bullsh1t i have bought tix and accomadation and flights in expectation it was going to be at the dome, not a sh*ty little hole that im not even garunteed a tix infact 6 because thats how many of us were going. Who is going to accomadate me, Waldron?NRL?AFL?

MsStorm

Bench
This is bullsh1t i have bought tix and accomadation and flights in expectation it was going to be at the dome, not a sh*ty little hole that im not even garunteed a tix infact 6 because thats how many of us were going. Who is going to accomadate me, Waldron?NRL?AFL?

Blame Ian Collins and the Telstra Dome management

skeepe

Immortal
I would have thought an actual competition game would have counted for more than a poxy trial match. They can move the trial match to the MCG.

Digga Hole

Juniors
I would have thought an actual competition game would have counted for more than a poxy trial match. They can move the trial match to the MCG.

The issue is the MCG is being used for the bushfire concert. The concert is on Saturday night, but it would be out of action for a few days either side to set up/take down all of the staging (if not for the concert the Sheffield Shield final was to be played there anyway).

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The Dome is about 5 mins from Olympic Park and if you've bought tickets when it was at the Dome, I'm sure the Storm would be happy to transfer them for you.

griffo346

First Grade
Round 6
April 17 - 20
Dragons vs. Knights @ OKI Jubilee Stadium
Eels vs. Bulldogs @ TBA
Panthers vs. Broncos @ CUA Stadium
Rabbitohs vs. Sea Eagles @ ANZ Stadium
Sharks vs. Cowboys @ Hindmarsh Stadium, SA
Titans vs. Raiders @ Skilled Park
Warriors vs. Roosters @ Mt Smart Stadium
Wests Tigers vs. Storm @ TBA

The game i have bolded is set for kick off 1:30pm ACT 2pm AEST on Sunday the 19th April 2009 - Tickets through Venuetix

Timmah

Staff member
Yep, all advance scheduling information is in the draw thread in Game Day Spoilers. The R14 Perth match and the R7 ANZAC match have both also been confirmed.

Latest posts