What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2009 Trials, Charity Shield & World Club Challenge

Nuke

Staff member
Okay, as someone who was there at the St.George-Illawarra vs Sydney game, I can tell you that the Roosters played with the attitude they had for the week preceeding it. They came here in holiday mode. They cancelled at least one kiddies coaching clinic (only one that I know of though), Fittler didn't turn up to a 'Have Breakfast With Bennett & Fittler' function (decided to play golf instead), and he didn't bother turning up to the post-game media conference either. I heard from a couple of people they had a couple of nights on the drink here too during the week.

Anasta did nothing. Sailor was a passenger (albeit a crowd favourite), and my man-of-the-match would probably go to Michael Weyman. He impressed me. Good signing by the Dragons there.

The Dragons did put on their near-strongest team on the field, and the Roosters did field a team half-full of players few would've heard of before, so when you look at all these reasons (the line-ups and the attitudes of the teams during the week), you can see why there was nearly 50 points the difference. It was the first trial game though, so you can't really take this as an indication of how the teams will fare in 2009.

Just out of curiosity, I didn't realise 6PR were broadcasting the game (or any station for that matter), so this is the first I've heard of this. Can anyone tell me who the commentators were? There are plenty of knowledgable people over here who could do a half-decent job, so I'm personally embarrassed that whoever these guys were were so bad. Personally, I hate it when you're listening to commentary of a game of any sort and the commentators liken this and that to every sport except the one you're trying to listen to. I hate it when, say, Andrew Voss says so-and-so caught the ball like an aussie rules player, or this person's catch would make a AFL player proud, ect.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The commentators, as indicated in this thread, were f*cking terrible. Talked sh*t (i.e. AFL & Onion) most of the game and barely called a single set of six. On one occasion couldn't even identify a tryscorer. :lol:

As for your comparison, at least Vossy knows how to call the actual game, even if he does slip other sport references in... these guys just had a chat in the box.

Fittler did come in, and basically spent 5 minutes bagging his young blokes.

Noa

First Grade
. They came here in holiday mode. They cancelled at least one kiddies coaching clinic (only one that I know of though), Fittler didn't turn up to a 'Have Breakfast With Bennett & Fittler' function (decided to play golf instead), and he didn't bother turning up to the post-game media conference either.

If thats all true thats pathetic and they deserve to be "invited" into head-quarters for a chat.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
The West Australian paper did F**all promotionwise except for some small paid ads by the WARL. 2 pages on Western Force loss! They a sh!te! I refuse to buy that paper.

Nuke

Staff member
If thats all true thats pathetic and they deserve to be "invited" into head-quarters for a chat.

Mate, unfortunately, it is true. The only things I don't know for sure was the amount of coaching clinics they cancelled on (like I said, I know of the Fremantle one, and although I don't think there were more, I don't know), and where Fittler spent his time when he skipped the Bennett-Fittler Breakfast. I have been told it was at the golf course (and that makes sense because the Roosters stayed at a place called The Vines which is a golf course resort).

gong_eagle

First Grade
http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/message-board-detail.asp?mbid=119031&s=0#

BBC London will be carrying full commentary of the Harlequins RL v Manly Sea Eagles game (2:00am Sunday Sydney Time)

It'll be available on their website. There will be a direct link coming in the next couple of days but the generic link for their website is: www.bbc.co.uk/london

From our guys in the UK

Here's the link for the "listen live" stream from BBC London 94.9
http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/realmedia/live/localradio/london.ram

The two programs your fans may be interested in is our Wednesday night preview programme: 9-10pm GMT (about 6am your time) but you can listen again to it on this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0022sx8

And on Sunday 22nd February, we're presenting our entire sports show from the Twickenham Stoop. It airs from 2pm to 6pm and will carry commentary of the game.

If any fans want to email before the Wednesday program, we'll read those out london.sport@bbc.co.uk in our preview.
And they can use the same address to get in touch with the program on match day.

Timmah

Staff member
Weekend teams:

Foundation Cup - Roosters v Tigers @ SFS, Saturday 7:30pm:
SYDNEY ROOSTERS: Anthony Minichiello, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Sam Perrett, Mitch Aubusson, Sonny Tuigamala, Ben Jones, Mitchell Pearce, Braith Anasta (c), Nate Myles, Craig Fitzgibbon, Lopini Paea, James Aubusson, Mark O'Meley. Interchange: Jordan Tansey, Frank Paul Nuuausala, Stanley Waqa, Rohan Ahern, Marty Kennedy, Riley Brown.
WESTS TIGERS: Shannon McDonnell, Taniela Tuiaki, Dean Collis, Chris Lawrence, Beau Ryan, Tim Moltzen, Benji Marshall (c), Dene Halatau, Chris Heighington, Gareth Ellis, Keith Galloway, John Morris, Bryce Gibbs. Interchange: Shannon Gallant, Rhys Hanbury, Danny Galea, Rocky Trimarchi, Daine Laurie.

Battle for the West Cup - Panthers v Eels @ CUA Stadium, Saturday 8pm:
PENRITH: 1. Michael Gordon 2. Shane Elford 3. Michael Jennings 4. Brad Tighe 5. Junior Tia-Kilifi 6. Wade Graham 7. Jarrod Sammut 8. Tim Grant 9. Paul Aiton 10. Adam Woolnough 11. Gavin Cooper 12. Matthew Bell 13. Nathan Smith Interchange: 14. Masada Iosefa 15. Frank Puletua 16. Luke Lewis 17. Trent Waterhouse 18. Maurice Blair 19. Andrew Emelio 20. Joseph Paulo 21. Ben McFadgeon
PARRAMATTA: Luke Burt, Krisnan Inu, Ben Smith, Taulima Tautai, Eric Grothe, Brett Finch, Feleti Mateo, Weller Hauraki, Nathan Hindmarsh, Josh Cordoba, Matt Keating, Fuifui Moimoi. Interchange: Kevin Kingston, Kris Keating, Tim Mannah, Broderick Wright, Joel Reddy, Jonathan Wright, Joe Galuvao.

Mercury Challenge - Dragons v Bulldogs @ WIN Stadium, Wollongong, Saturday 7:30pm:
ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA: 1. Brett Morris, 2. Michael Lett, 3. Chase Stanley, 4. Matt Cooper, 5. Wendell Sailor, 6. Jamie Soward, 7. Mathew Head, 8. Justin Poore, 9. Dean Young, 10. Michael Weyman, 11. Beau Scott, 12. Jarrod Saffy, 13. Matt Prior
Interchange: 14. Dan Hunt, 15. Jon Green, 16. Luke Priddis, 17 Ricky Thorby, 18. Ben Creagh, 19. Jason Nightingale, 20. Darius Boyd, 21. Neville Costigan, 22. Jeremy Smith
BULLDOGS: 1. Brent Crisp, 2. Hazem El Masri, 3. Josh Morris, 4. Jamal Idris, 5. Matt Utai, 6. Daniel Holdsworth, 7. Brett Kimmorley, 8. Ben Hannant, 9. Michael Ennis, 10. Michael Hodgson, 11. Gary Warburton, 12. Andrew Ryan, 13. David Stagg
Interchange: 14. Bryson Goodwin, 15. Chris Armit, 16. Yileen Gordon, 17. Brad Morrin, 19. Lee Te Maari, 20. Daniel Harrison, 21. Michael Sullivan, 22. Ben Barba, 23. Tim Winitana, 24. Robert Worsley, 25. Daryl Millard

Redcliffe Trial - Broncos v Raiders @ Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe QLD, Saturday 7:15pm:
BRISBANE: 1. Karmichael Hunt, 2. Antonio Winterstein, 3. Gerard Beale, 4. Israel Folau, 5. Jharal Yow Yeh, 6. Andrew McCullough, 7. Peter Wallace, 8. Nick Kenny, 9. Aaron Gorrell, 10. Sam Thaiday, 11. Lagi Setu, 12. Ben Te'o, 13. Corey Parker
Reserves: 14. David Taylor, 15. Joel Clinton, 16. Alex Glenn, 17. Guy Williams, 18. Aaron Sweeney, 19. Ashton Sims, 20. Josh McGuire, 21. Tom Hewitt
CANBERRA: Glen Buttriss, Terry Campese, Justin Carney, Jarrod Croker, Brad Cross, Shaun Fensom, Stuart Flanagan, Phil Graham, Bronson Harrison, Marc Herbert, Sam Huihahau, Daniel Joyce, Brett Kelly, Scott Logan, Josh McCrone, Josh Miller, David Milne, Joel Monaghan, Joe Picker, Nigel Plum, Adrian Purtell, David Shillington, Trevor Thurling, Dane Tilse, Alan Tongue, Glen Turner, Daniel Vidot.

Darwin Trial - Titans v Sharks @ Richardson Park, Darwin NT, Saturday :
TITANS: 1 Preston Campbell, 2 Jordan Atkins, 3 Josh Graham, 4 Brett Delaney, 5 Esi Tonga, 6 Mat Rogers, 7 Scott Prince ©, 8 Luke Bailey ©, 9 Nathan Friend, 10 Matthew White, 11 Anthony Laffranchi, 12 Mark Minichiello, 13 Luke O’Dwyer
Interchange: 14 Brad Meyers, 15 Will Matthews, 16 William Zillman, 17 Kayne Lawton, 18 Sam Tagataese, 19 Bodene Thompson, 20 Brad Davis, 21 David Mead
SHARKS: Brett Kearney, Misi Taulapapa, Mitch Brown, Ben Pomeroy, David Simmons, Trent Barrett, Blake Green, Luke Douglas, Corey Hughes, Ben Ross, Bryan Norrie, Reece Williams, Jayson Bukuya, Jack Afamasaga, Kade Snowden, Terence Seu Seu, Atelia Vea, Trent Trotter, Jacob Selmes, Matt Wright, Jonathan Tavinor, Nathan Stapleton, Blake Furguson

Melbourne Trial - Storm v Knights @ VISY Park (formerly Princes Park), Melbourne VIC, Saturday 6:00pm:
STORM: 1. Billy Slater, 2. Anthony Quinn, 3. Willie Isa, 4. Joseph Tomane, 5. Steve Turner, 6. Greg Inglis, 7. James Maloney, 8. Jeff Lima, 9. Cameron Smith, 10. Adam Blair, 11. Ryan Hoffman, 12. Wairangi Koopu, 13. Aiden Tolman Interchange from: Sam Joe, Dane Nielsen, Andre Itula, Brett Anderson, Dane Chisholm, Brett White, Scott Anderson, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Kevin Proctor, Matt Cross, Hep Cahill and Zeb Tawha
KNIGHTS: 1. Cameron Ciraldo, 2. Ben Cross, 3. Isaac De Gois, 4. Scott Dureau, 5. Richard Fa’aoso, 6. Byron Fruean, 7. Chris Houston, 8. Marvin Karawana, 9. Keith Lulia, 10. James McManus, 11. Peter Mata’utai, 12. Jarrod Mullen, 13. Tim Natusch, 14. George Ndaira, 15. Cory Paterson, 16. Ben Rogers, 17. Junior Sau, 18. Zeb Taia, 19. Mark Taufua, 20. Luke Walsh, 21. Simon Williams, 22. Akuila Uate

WCC Warm-up - Sea Eagles v Harlequins @ The Stoop, London UK, Sunday 2:00am AEDT:
SEA EAGLES SQUAD: BAILEY Chris, BALLIN Matt, CUTHBERTSON Adam, FORAN Kieran, HALL Glenn, HODKINSON Trent, KING Jason, L’ESTRANGE Heath, LYON Jamie, MATAI Steve, MORWOOD Phil, NEUMANN Shane, ORFORD Matt, PERRY Josh, ROBERTSON Michael, RODNEY Shane, ROSE George, STEWART Brett, STEWART Glenn, SUNIULA Andrew, WAEREA-HARGREAVES Jared, WATMOUGH Anthony, WILLIAMS David
HARLEQUINS: TBA

North Harbour Trial - Warriors v Cowboys @ North Harbour Stadium, Auckland NZ, Sunday 2:00pm AEDT:
WARRIORS: WADE McKINNON, DENAN KEMP, MANU VATUVEI, MALO SOLOMONA, AIDAN KIRK, BRENT TATE, JEROME ROPATI, PATRICK AH VAN, JOEL MOON, NATHAN FIEN, STACEY JONES, STEVE PRICE (c), RUSSELL PACKER, LEESON AH MAU, MATAUPU POCHING, IAN HENDERSON, LEWIS BROWN, LANCE HOHAIA, UKUMA TA’AI, SIMON MANNERING, EPALAHAME LAUAKI, ELIJAH TAYLOR, DANIEL O’REGAN
COWBOYS: Ben Farrar, John Williams, Shannon Hegarty, Donald Malone, Ty Williams, Ashley Graham, Willie Tonga, Johnathan Thurston, Travis Burns, Grant Rovelli, Aaron Payne, Clint Amos, Carl Webb, Antonio Kaufusi, Matt Scott, Scott Bolton, Shane Tronc, Luke O’Donnell, Manase Manuokofoa, Steve Rapira, James Tamou, Dayne Weston, Matt Bowen, Steve Southern, Ben Harris

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Sharks, Cowboys & Dragons teams named, updated above.

Timmah

Staff member
Bulldogs

1. Brent Crisp
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Josh Morris
4. Jamal Idris
5. Matt Utai
6. Daniel Holdsworth
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Ben Hannant
9. Michael Ennis
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Gary Warburton
12. Andrew Ryan
13. David Stagg

Interchange
14. Bryson Goodwin
15. Chris Armit
16. Yileen Gordon
17. Brad Morrin
19. Lee Te Maari
20. Daniel Harrison
21. Michael Sullivan
22. Ben Barba
23. Tim Winitana
24. Robert Worsley
25. Daryl Millard

www.bulldogs.com.au

Just waiting on the Storm, Knights and Warriors lineups.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Knights squad for the Melbourne trial

1. Cameron Ciraldo
2. Ben Cross
3. Isaac De Gois
4. Scott Dureau
5. Richard Fa’aoso
6. Byron Fruean
7. Chris Houston
8. Marvin Karawana
9. Keith Lulia
10. James McManus
11. Peter Mata’utai
12. Jarrod Mullen
13. Tim Natusch
14. George Ndaira
15. Cory Paterson
16. Ben Rogers
17. Junior Sau
18. Zeb Taia
19. Mark Taufua
20. Luke Walsh
21. Simon Williams
22. Akuila Uate

Timmah

Staff member
Melbourne & NZ added in now... just waiting on Harlequins - don't know if we'll get it though.

Timmah

Staff member
As reported in another thread, the WCC will now be shown live on FOX, and delayed later in the day on Ch 9.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Manly, Harlequins to honour Victoria fires victims

February 20, 2009

Article from: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25081365-12377,00.html

NRL premiers Manly and English Super League side Harlequins will observe one minute's silence to honour victims of the Victoria fires before their match in London on Sunday.
Players from both sides will also wear black armbands during the game, which will be played hours after Australia holds a national day of mourning for at least 208 people who died in the February 7 infernos.

The game, at Twickenham's Stoop Stadium, is a warm-up for the Sea Eagles' clash with Super League champions Leeds in the World Club Challenge at Elland Road on March 1.

Timmah

Staff member
I don't think there'll be any radio coverage of any remaining trials tbh...