What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

adamkungl

Immortal
:lol: Loving how people consider their own head counts more accurate that the official NRL figure

haha I know right....fair enough you can accuse clubs of fudging figures during the season, but to claim that the NRL is undercounting a finals match? Suuuuure

haha I know right....fair enough you can accuse clubs of fudging figures during the season, but to claim that the NRL is undercounting a finals match? Suuuuure

If anything it looks like a case of the Dragons inflating figures in their regular season games

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Who is saying that?

Nice couple of conspiracy theories from you and your sidekick Adam.

There might be another reason, perhaps even a plausible one. Could it be possible that the NRL has made a mistake? It's not like they haven't done so before.

What we do know is that there are quite a few posts here from eye witnesses who frequent the ground often and are challenging the figure.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Eastern upper tier was mostly empty.
? That's the hill.

There were no 'half empty' or 'mostly empty' sections.

There's opinion, then there's misinformation.

Perhaps you mean the SE and SW areas which are part of the Northern Terrace. They had about 10 seats vacant in each section. The SE areas is always the last to fill up. I gauge the crowd on a few areas including the SE section. When it's near full (and it was), it's an indicator that we have a large crowd.

Keep in mind that the official capacity is around 20,541, but the police have a cap on which is reportedly 18,000. They have gone a little over that recently.

dragondad

First Grade
? That's the hill.

Perhaps you mean the SE and SW areas which are part of the Northern Terrace. They had about 10 seats vacant in each section. The SE areas is always the last to fill up. I gauge the crowd on a few areas including the SE section. When it's near full (and it was), it's an indicator that we have a large crowd.

Keep in mind that the official capacity is around 20,541, but the police have a cap on which is reportedly 18,000. They have gone a little over that recently.

I think he was talking about the SFS mate.

ouwet

Bench
? That's the hill.

:lol: St George paranoia????

His talking about the SFS game... The game between 2 Sydney clubs that drew more then double the crowd on sunday! You know, the Wests Tiger's game, the club that didnt put its self interest infront of the code and decided to shift the game to accomondate the extra people!

Rocket

Juniors
the club that didnt put its self interest infront of the code and decided to shift the game to accomondate the extra people!

Yeah and the extra dollars usually on offer from the NRL had nothing to do with it.

Bottom line is that the rules state we can have a home final at a place of our choosing. Ask where most Dragons fans would want that and most will say Kogarah or Wollongong. Even the Manly fans around me yesterday were saying how they loved the atmosphere and the passion of the fans.

The Dragons have more ticketed and non-ticketed members than any other Sydney club and consistently bring in the biggest away crowds. Sure the way we do it wouldn't suit every Sydney club and I don't suggest that everyone go back to suburban grounds. If going to bigger stadiums works for your team then go for it.

I also follow motorsport and it is a bit like the Monaco grand prix. It is a race steeped in tradition that everyone wants to win, but if you were to start it from scratch today people would say you were mad and drivers wouldn't race there.

Holding on to a bit of tradition with a team that is one of the best supported and healthiest in the competition with the great history of one of the merged clubs is something that should be embraced.

ouwet

Bench
Yeah and the extra dollars usually on offer from the NRL had nothing to do with it.

Bottom line is that the rules state we can have a home final at a place of our choosing. Ask where most Dragons fans would want that and most will say Kogarah or Wollongong. Even the Manly fans around me yesterday were saying how they loved the atmosphere and the passion of the fans.

And couldn't get more then 16K there... YEAH EVERYONE Wanted it at Kogarah:lol:

The Dragons have more ticketed and non-ticketed members than any other Sydney club and consistently bring in the biggest away crowds. Sure the way we do it wouldn't suit every Sydney club and I don't suggest that everyone go back to suburban grounds. If going to bigger stadiums works for your team then go for it.

St George counts 3 game passes as members... Most clubs don't!

I also follow motorsport and it is a bit like the Monaco grand prix. It is a race steeped in tradition that everyone wants to win, but if you were to start it from scratch today people would say you were mad and drivers wouldn't race there.

Holding on to a bit of tradition with a team that is one of the best supported and healthiest in the competition with the great history of one of the merged clubs is something that should be embraced.

Tradition? Tradition is great but it's the 21st Century! For RL in Australia to move forward clubs need to generate crowds of more then 15K! I'm against all Suburban grounds not just Kogarah!

bazza

Immortal

The Tigers signed an agreement with the SFS to play finals matches there when they agreed to play their regular matches there.
They were never going to play at Leichhardt or Campbelltown unless the SFS was unavailable

bazza

Immortal
because when you go to a game at kogarah when there is 15.5k, you tend to know how the crowd looks like, last night was larger then last sunday which pulled 18.2k.

raiders premiers, your just a farkwit.

At Kogarah, when watching on the TV, all crowds over about 14k make the hill look pretty full. Similar at Leichhardt and Brookvale

CC_Roosters

First Grade

His talking about the SFS game... The game between 2 Sydney clubs that drew more then double the crowd on sunday! You know, the Wests Tiger's game, the club that didnt put its self interest infront of the code and decided to shift the game to accomondate the extra people!

All the talk in the media about where the Tigers should play was overhyped rubbish, they have a contract to play home finals at the SFS and couldn't violate it. Not complaining its probably where they should be played

Where the Dragons choose to play there games is up to them. Ideally for the image of the game and crowd figures it should be at the SFS but if they want to play at Kogorah to get an advantage then so be it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And then there's misreading a post completely ;-) Try again Willow
Argh, fair enough. My only crappy defence is that I did preface with a question mark, and I was getting databased at the time. But my misread. :D

See how easy it is to concede when you are in error?

Saint Doc

Coach
Its pretty simple...get the NRL to change their rules!

Why should the dragons voluntarily move a home final to a ground they rarely play at?

I don't disagree that finals should be at SFS/ANZ, but its not our fault. There was a big hoo-hah last year regarding the parra game, then all CEO's voted to keep the rules exactly as they were.

You talk about the "image" of the game, and yet if all games were forced to be at bigger neutral venues, then imagine the "look" for panthers/raiders final at ANZ. Maybe the crowd would have pushed early 20's, but then you're playing at a ground 1/4 full. Same with dragons/eagles...given the media saying how one-sided it was going to be, I think the best you could have hoped for at SFS would have been 25k. Is that really a superior look to a jam packed kogarah?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
so are the dragons fiddling the tax man if they are announcing lower gates than they are taking income on?
Given it's an NRL fixture

Take your blue and white glasses off (whoever thought I'd say that) and get around the anti-Saints dribble.

Next, wake up to the fact that the Tigers have a contract with the SFS as it's already a Tigers home ground. Week 1 is for home ground finals or did you miss that? Where's the attack on Penrith for only getting 16k at a ground holding 22k? That's an equally "sh*t" crowd at a venue that doesn't meet the lofty criteria of the faithful in here, why isn't it up for questioning? Oh that's right, they don't wear red and white, who cares?
At Kogarah, when watching on the TV, all crowds over about 14k make the hill look pretty full. Similar at Leichhardt and Brookvale
Difference being, someone at the ground can see not only the hill but have the luxury of observing most of the seated areas. There were very few if any empty seats in all seated areas... the crowd posted was wrong.

Rocket

Juniors
Just for arguments sake say the Dragons/Manly game was held at the SFS or ANZ. Would there really have been a big crowd?

Crowd figure debates aside, you would have been lucky to have had 1000 Manly fans as Kogarah yesterday. So that means the majority of the 15-18k were Dragons fans.

At the Raiders/Panthers game (16k crowd) there were a few thousand Raiders fans and I'd say less Panthers fans than we had Dragons fans yesterday.

Not too sure the break up of the 33k from the SFS, but maybe 50/50? That means each of the Sydney teams (except Manly) contributed somewhere in the 14-16k range.

So would the Manly fans have come out in droves at the SFS? Instead of a thousand odd would there have been 10k? Why not blame Manly fans for not supporting their team?

This just isn't as cut and dried as some people are making out and the bottom line is that if the Dragons want to have home and final games at Kogarah it should be of no concern to other teams.