What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Thought there would have been more Penrith fans there tonight, but pretty good atmosphere in the Roosters section. One thing i've started to notive since going to NRL games last year is how young the crowd is commpared to any sport in the UK, there were groups coming into my bay with 5 or 6 youngsters coming in. Bodes well for the future!

Some think the NRL has crowd problems, look at the a-leagues crowds so far this round 11513, 7080, 6977, 4922 and cant see their being more than 5k at gold coast or melbourne.

Have to say it was my first time at the SFS and it is a cracking stadium, the more games played there the better in my opinion.:D

JT_

Juniors
Thought there would have been more Penrith fans there tonight, but pretty good atmosphere in the Roosters section. One thing i've started to notive since going to NRL games last year is how young the crowd is commpared to any sport in the UK, there were groups coming into my bay with 5 or 6 youngsters coming in. Bodes well for the future!

Some think the NRL has crowd problems, look at the a-leagues crowds so far this round 11513, 7080, 6977, 4922 and cant see their being more than 5k at gold coast or melbourne.

Have to say it was my first time at the SFS and it is a cracking stadium, the more games played there the better in my opinion.:D

It is a great stadium isn't it?! You don't appreciate it until you actually go there. The atmosphere it can generate from even 14-15k is amazing.

Serc

First Grade
Piss poor crowd tonight...and before I lay the boot into anyone, if I lived in the arc from Windsor-Penrith-Campbelltown, roughly how long does it take to get to the city on the train? I make the effort on a semi-regular basis to go to games here in SEQ, and I am an hour from Suncorp and Skilled (on the train), so just curious to see if it takes a similar time to get from the outer suburbs into the city.

Timmah if you were familiar with the RL fan opoulation out at Penrith you would know that when families moved out there they took their team loyalties with them, and kids generally follow whoever their family does. Will take ages for the Pantehrs supporter base to grow to huge levels. Average performances lately haven't helped.

You have been in the competition for over 40 years...I think thats more than enough time to build a good (admittedly not a Dogs/Tigers/Saints/Parra size) supporter base!

Last edited:

fanatique

Juniors
Sydney needs 2 less teams at the mo and the Roosters and Panthers should be removed.

The lazy inaccurate assumption that the Roosters attract poor attendances seems impossible to dislodge. The Roos drew comfortably more then 16,000 a game at home this season. 4 NSW teams were below them. They are not a huge draw obviously but hold their own most years.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Timmah if you were familiar with the RL fan opoulation out at Penrith you would know that when families moved out there they took their team loyalties with them, and kids generally follow whoever their family does. Will take ages for the Pantehrs supporter base to grow to huge levels. Average performances lately haven't helped.

I'm of the opinion that if you were raised in the Penrith area and don't support the Panthers you're a traitor, but I'm probably biased in my frustration. Still, f**k em. Jerks. Support your local team and their solid junior base.
I agree but it has been 43 years since they came into the competition you'd think they would have built a fan base by now. They've got the biggest junior area in the game, surely all the kids playing there are encouraged to support and one day grow up to play for the panthers, or maybe they're just encouraged to grow up and put their hard earned in the pokies at the leagues club.

VictoryFC

Bench
What was the crowd at the G like tonight? Looked like about 60k

Pretty close, it was 62,000.

Agreed, Australian sport has a far younger demographic that attend it seems. Its quite stark when you look at a stand in the UK. Also, issue with comparing NRL and A-League is that NRL is the premier comp of the sport, A-League is far from it. A-League should never be a benchmark for anything. AFL, whether we like it or not, will always be the elephant in the room as a benchmark

Goddo

Bench

I'm of the opinion that if you were raised in the Penrith area and don't support the Panthers you're a traitor, but I'm probably biased in my frustration. Still, f**k em. Jerks. Support your local team and their solid junior base.

In addition to that, I'd say the Panthers "brand" is hard to like. They change club colours every year, and have used some of the worst jerseys in the game. They can come across as bogan, ugly, westy. This makes them unappealing compared to "flashier" sides like the Dogs, Dragons, Eels and Tigers.

They have only won a couple of premierships, but have never had a period of sustained success. They should be one of the biggest clubs in the NRL, but fail to connect to the people living in the area, for a couple of reasons.

Goddo

Bench
The lazy inaccurate assumption that the Roosters attract poor attendances seems impossible to dislodge. The Roos drew comfortably more then 16,000 a game at home this season. 4 NSW teams were below them. They are not a huge draw obviously but hold their own most years.

Don't be thick. The Roosters are one of the least supported sides in Sydney. Their attendence average this year was distorted by:

* the 38k Dragons crowd at the SCG (and again next year at the SFS on ANZAC day),
* a 21k "home" game in Christchurch against the Warriors. How many went over for that?
* a 19k "home" game against the Dogs, where there were at least 14k Dogs fans
* an 18k "home" game against the Tigers, same as the Dogs game

They also had 4 games less than 10k, and one only 18 people over. Remember, this is a cinderella story year for them. Yet they managed the worst crowd of the year, 6,478. That is as many sub 10k games as the woeful Sharks.

The Roosters have a bandwagon fan base, but they don't show up much.

Danish

Referee
Don't be thick. The Roosters are one of the least supported sides in Sydney. Their attendence average this year was distorted by:

* the 38k Dragons crowd at the SCG (and again next year at the SFS on ANZAC day),
* a 21k "home" game in Christchurch against the Warriors. How many went over for that?
* a 19k "home" game against the Dogs, where there were at least 14k Dogs fans
* an 18k "home" game against the Tigers, same as the Dogs game

They also had 4 games less than 10k, and one only 18 people over. Remember, this is a cinderella story year for them. Yet they managed the worst crowd of the year, 6,478. That is as many sub 10k games as the woeful Sharks.

The Roosters have a bandwagon fan base, but they don't show up much.

Our home ground figures were distorted by large home ground attendances?? :lol:

By your logic we should also be lambasting the dragons since their home crowds were only a few hundred better than ours on averages, with their figures "distorted" by big home ground crowds for ANZAC day at the SFS.

Seriously, just flawless logic there mate :lol:

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
f**k all penrith fans out there tonight.

Thought the crowd might be a bit higher than that. All but two bays on the western side full, Western Upper tier close to full, eastern lower side pretty damn full.

Good game though!

Agree, I was guessing at 27k or so before it was announced. I'm gonna use the St george counting method and claim the ground was actually full and the NRL lied about the crowd.

The usual suspects (ie. f**kwits) are bagging Easts again...there were 23k there and 22.5k were Roosters fans. More than the best supported team in the comp got to their home final at Oki Chokie oval last week.

applesauce

Bench
I'm going to be buying tickets to the Titans v Roosters tomorrow at the ticket office.

Got a couple of questions if anyone can help me out.

How many can I buy/person?
Do we take our membership cards with us and show them at the ticket box, or if I buy them online will I just use my number???

Cheers

Deacon

First Grade
4 tickets per membership you should receive an email with a unique code before they go on sale tomorrow

Goddo

Bench
Our home ground figures were distorted by large home ground attendances?? :lol:

By your logic we should also be lambasting the dragons since their home crowds were only a few hundred better than ours on averages, with their figures "distorted" by big home ground crowds for ANZAC day at the SFS.

Seriously, just flawless logic there mate :lol:

You can discount Roosters home ground "support" where the majority of fans are from other clubs.

Yes, they go down as Roosters "attendences", but you know that actual Roosters fans were significantly in the minority.

I actually agree that you can't look at the ANZAC game for the Dragons. Its an outlier and not a true measure of support.

But so to are the two 12k Monday night games.

You ignore the outliers of the Roosters, and concentrate on numbers of fans of the club at their other big games, and you find your club averages somewhere around 11k.

So 5000 more people turned up to the final between us and the Gold Coast (who have minimal supporters) last year than a final between 2 Sydney teams? That is embarassing.

Danish

Referee
You can discount Roosters home ground "support" where the majority of fans are from other clubs.

Yes, they go down as Roosters "attendences", but you know that actual Roosters fans were significantly in the minority.

I actually agree that you can't look at the ANZAC game for the Dragons. Its an outlier and not a true measure of support.

You ignore the outliers of the Roosters, and concentrate on numbers of fans of the club at their other big games, and you find your club averages somewhere around 11k.

Lets put your assumptions to the test then shall we??

You've stated that the 2 lowest dragons crowds should be ignored as outliers, so lets also assume that in fairness their 2 biggest crowds should be ignored also.

The dragons 12 home games this year yielded crowds of:

13 267
36,212 (highest)
12,974 (2nd lowest)
12,668 (lowest)
18,274 (2nd highest)

Removing the 2 highest and 2 lowest, the average for the remaining 8 games is 15,213

Now lets look at the roosters home crowds using the same method. Our crowds this year are:

6,478 (lowest)
7,934 (2nd lowest)
20,721 (2nd highest)
37,994 (highest)

Eliminating our 2 highest and 2 lowest crowds this year, the roosters average for the remaining 8 games is 15,135

So, it seems, even by eliminating the so called outliers the roosters crowds are still but a handful less than the dragons.

In summation, you are full of sh*t

Which games were we outnumbered by opposition fans? I went to every game we played at the SFS and SCG bar Cronulla and we were not outnumbered once. The Dogs brought about 500 fans, we outnumbered Wests in round 2 3:1, against Saints at the SCG we easily matched them and the closest split was against Souffs which would have been 60:40 then against Wests in the finals our handful of supporters bays were full and last night we easily brought 20,000 fans. I realise you have no idea about what you are talking but still you're pretty stupid with this assumption.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So 5000 more people turned up to the final between us and the Gold Coast (who have minimal supporters) last year than a final between 2 Sydney teams? That is embarassing.

Whats even worse was that last years wasnt even a 'home' final for both teams.

Last night showed the lack of support and build up to a game. And the game was a disappointment really, lacked that sort of finals match that everyone hoped.

But do you reckon more people wouldve turned up if the game was played today? Think about. Would fans rather have the Sat night/Sunday format for weeks 2 and 3 of the finals.

JT_

Juniors
Same old comments - Roosters have no fans this and that, sounding like a broken record how about something original. Roosters support totally outnumbered the Panthers fans last night in that it wasn't even close. Fair enough the Panthers gotta travel 1 hour but still if they turned up it could have been a good 30k crowd and would have lifted the Panthers spirits a bit more.

I also the think the promo for this game was non-existent, if Nine want to support league they need to actually promote the important games.

@Parra fan, Panthers and Roosters would definitely benefit from a Sunday afternoon crowd.

dragondad

First Grade
I think what may have saved the crowd was lots of neutrals. The sfs members stand was full and that is not all roosters fans.