What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

bmwpower

Juniors
raiders (not) premiers can you confirm approx how many dragon fans were at canberra you cok sucking muthaf**ka

Rocket

Juniors
Or for that matter why when they were on a winning streak, with their season on the line, only 11k turned up in Canberra to watch the Raiders vs Cowboys on a Saturday night with perfect weather. FFS the Dragons got more than that to wet Monday night games!

Were you there Raider_NOT_Premiers and if not, why not???????

Jason Maher

Immortal
I can read, you claim they are the best supported team in the comp, and you base this claim on their away averages.

If you would like to retract your comment, and simply claim that saints tend to bring opposition fans through the gates then I'll accept that.

I will not however accept the baseless assumption that a large crowd turning up to watch the broncos/dogs/bunnies etc play the dragons at their respective home grounds equates to the crowd being stacked with dragons fans, especially when they can't even fill their own tiny stadium

Have you actually been to any of these games? I go to all games against the Tits and donkeys in SEQ, and there is always a very visible red and white presence. Against the Tits early this year we actually outnumbered their supporters from what I could judge. Something tells me this won't be the case for the Roosters on Friday night. It'll be a fun game to play spot the Roosters supporter I'm guessing.

I'm still baffled by our crowd against Manly, as our two previous home semis both sold out (vs Cronulla at the 'Gong in 05 and Parra at Kogarah last year). And we sold out the round 26 game against Souffs. Baffling (though Souffs fans do travel better than Manly fans).

By the way, your assumption is equally as baseless, that the increase in opposition home crowds we tend to bring is entirely due to more opposition supporters turning out because they hate us so much.

Danish

Referee
what? when saints play those teams you mentioned at their home ground, they equate to 50 percent or even more sometimes of the crowd. your on drugs seriously. its clear the dragons would be the best supported team in sydney if they had a larger stadium.

It's not clear at all actually, and if anything your above statement only shows the depth of your delusions of grandeur for your supporter base.

What possible grounds do you have for making such a ridiculous claim such as this?

You do not have the highest average crowds in Sydney. In fact you are 5th, with 2 of the club above you playing all or most of their home games at suburban grounds similar to yours.

You Don't have the most members. Souths surpass you in that department.

So really I'm curious, what is your assumptions about saints being the most supported team in the comp, or even Sydney, bases on?

franklin2323

Immortal
You have been in the competition for over 40 years...I think thats more than enough time to build a good (admittedly not a Dogs/Tigers/Saints/Parra size) supporter base!

True but counting this year and SL we made the finals 9 times in 40+ years.

As demodeow mention there's a lot of non-panthers supporters in the area I can think of 10+ on this site for starters.

Granted we do have Juniors but you would be surprised to amount that are funding by other clubs example Glenmore Park/St Marys teams funded by Easts Leagues. So may not support Penrith or want to if they are supported by another club.

We are doing a survey for work and the 3 new housing Estates in the area Glenmore Park/Ropes Crossing and lots sold for Jordans Springs. 68% of owners are of Indian/Chinese hertiage hardly Sport lovers let alone Rugby League supporters.

Not excuses just facts that you can't escape. The club is trying to improve crowd/Supporter bases. Season Tickets haven't gone up for 4 years, Cheapest food in the NRL, Even an Eagle Boys Pizza at the ground.

The problem is we aren't that attractive in the media in general I don't know why just aren't

franklin2323

Immortal
It was a big city finals stadium Brutus. Aren't they suppose to automatically draw 30,000+ crowds?

What went wrong?

P.S.
Did you attend the game?

Unfortunately we don't have Melbourne's must attend sport's attitude.

On Sat night in Sydney:

Metallica 20k
Powderfinger 15k (I was there)
Defcon1 80k. (was in Penrith so heaps of fans I know went there)

If only 5% of those attended the game 30k would of been the crowd no where near as bad.

I bought Powerfinger tickets about round 12 thinking we never make the finals sadly I was wrong.

All 3 were onsale months ago if people felt the same as me that could of explained the crowd

docbrown

Coach
The highest finals attendance was in 2009 with 351,448

The full season attendance record (home and away plus finals) was set in 2009 with 3,435,929.

The highest (home and away plus finals) average was set in 2005 with 17337

For 2010 we are at:

Home & Away Aggregate: 3,149,927 (1st)
Home & Away Average: 16,406 (2nd)
Finals Aggregate: 142,518
Finals Average: 23,753
Total Aggregate (h&a + finals): 3,292,445 (4th)
Total Average: 16,629 (3rd)

Assuming a grand final attendance of approximately 81,500, to break the records we now need:

To break finals aggregate – 127,431 this week – or 2 full houses
To break finals record – we can’t break the all time rugby league record set in 1963, but we can break last year’s NRL record with 2 full houses

To break the total aggregate – 61,985 this week – most likely
To break the total average set in 2005 – 111,000 this week - maybe...

Brutus

Referee
13k sold thus far for ANZ Stadium according to Annesley on 2UE.

He was on explaining the ticketing stuff up.

beercoaster

Juniors

On Sat night in Sydney:

Metallica 20k

If only 5% of those attended the game 30k would of been the crowd no where near as bad.

I bought Powerfinger tickets about round 12 thinking we never make the finals sadly I was wrong.

All 3 were onsale months ago if people felt the same as me that could of explained the crowd

In a city of 4.5 Million that is really no excuse.
Guessing that 5% of a rock concert crowd would go the final is just diddley squat. It frees up tickets for those who don't go to rock concerts.
Queensland has a more impressive attendance record. The whole country knows that Sydney is not as sports mad as the rest of the country in terms of attendance except for GF, SOO and novelty events.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
In a city of 4.5 Million that is really no excuse.
Guessing that 5% of a rock concert crowd would go the final is just diddley squat. It frees up tickets for those who don't go to rock concerts.
Queensland has a more impressive attendance record. The whole country knows that Sydney is not as sports mad as the rest of the country in terms of attendance except for GF, SOO and novelty events.

You say this yet you guys have 3 teams!!!! How would you go going to watch a team you don't support???

Why in the world would Sharks, Tigers, Eels, Dragons, Knights, Manly fans turn up to a game??? which costs $50 for good seats GF's fair enough but just a semi. Neither team can classed as a glamour team most find Penrith boring to watch.

The reason I said 5% of those crowds is both Roosters and Panthers are poorly supported and in the crowd of 110k at the concerts there was bound to be fans of either who would of attended it it hadn't of clashed.

I was with 12 other Panther fans at the Entertainment Centre, I know 8 others that were at Metallica. There's 21 people I know who weren't there.

I will tell you what next time something is going to be on I won't get tickets and when Penrith don't make the finals (as with the prior 5 years) I will just sit at home watching 2 neutral teams play wishing I was elsewhere

Last edited:

JT_

Juniors
Gee it's annoying when people outside Sydney/NSW bring up the 4.5 million population thing.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gee it's annoying when people outside Sydney/NSW bring up the 4.5 million population thing.

And assume all of those 4.5m enjoy and want to attend Rugby League not just RL but all sport is trying to get bums on seats. Particularly with the high Asian and indian influx hardly sport fans (except Indina with cricket)

sooperdooper

First Grade

On Sat night in Sydney:

Metallica 20k

only 10k at at defcon... not sure where you get 80k from