What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The people that bought tickets to the Olympics are sports fans, event goers, and generally people wanting to witness one of the top sporting events in the world. You can attend the NRL every year; the Olympics doesn't come around very often, especially on these shores. You shouldn't really compare them to crowds in at club level.

I don't think attendances have anything to do with lack of hype. To use your example of the EPL, most of the games have an outright favourite particpating. Over the course of 380 odd games, maybe 20-30 will be genuine contests. Yet most clubs sell out stadiums on a regular basis. Why? Not because of any hype factor, rather attending is entrenched in the culture. And thats what needs to happen in the NRL. Membership drives a good start, but as I said earlier, its very naive to expect to see that culture of non-attendance change overnight. Could take a good 10+ years, but I suspect we'll still be talking about crowds up until that culture has changed.

we were talking about SOO not club games. It is one of the top sporting events in the country and should have no diffuclty selling regardless of where it is being played and how many seats are available. The fact it doesn't is a poor reflection on how it is viewed by "sports" fans.

Jono1987

Juniors
Watched the St.George game and it seemed to me there was more then over 12000 fans.

I was at the game and it did seem that more than 12k were present. However this also seems to be the case at Kogarah. Had it not been an ordinary day I'm sure a few more thousand people would have shown up.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I was at the game and it did seem that more than 12k were present. However this also seems to be the case at Kogarah. Had it not been an ordinary day I'm sure a few more thousand people would have shown up.
I think all seater stadiums can give out a more negative picture as you noticed the empty seats but grounds with hills what have seem to make the ground look a bit more packed.

Red Bear

Referee
Should be some decent crowds this weekend

Easts vs Souths - 20K (hopefully more, should be a cracker)
Tigers - Tits - 16K
Manly vs Canberra - 13K
Canterbury vs Melbourne - 10K (a bit optimistic in Adelaide)
Newcastle vs Cronulla - 14K
Penrith vs NZ - 19K (should be huge, just knocked off the Drags, runnings second)
Parra vs Nth Qld - 10K

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Easts vs Souths - 23K
Tigers - Tits - 14K
Manly vs Canberra - 10K
Canterbury vs Melbourne - 11K
Newcastle vs Cronulla - 15K
Penrith vs NZ - 16K
Parra vs Nth Qld - 10K

Hard to judge the Sydney games this week, mostly out of town teams and night games except Penrith. Could either be a rubbish round if the weather is poor or a great round if its dry considering Wests, Penrith form of late. Hopefully, Easts and the rabbits get a good crowd, a foundation rivalry like this deserves a big crowd every game

Chook Norris

First Grade
Easts vs Souths - 18k
Tigers - Tits - 14K
Manly vs Canberra - 12K
Canterbury vs Melbourne - 9K
Newcastle vs Cronulla - 14K
Penrith vs NZ - 14.5K <-- dno why it would be 'that' (19k) huge at CUA redbear
Parra vs Nth Qld - 10K

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
61k last night @ ANZ a GREAT result despite the negative media and still plenty of proud and passionate Blues fans out in force. Loved it!

ByRd

First Grade
True Timmah, i was there last night and have to say the atmosphere was pretty good. Even though we couldnt win the series, we were vocal and loud and got behind the boys, shame about the result but a much better game to watch.

Brutus

Referee
61k last night @ ANZ a GREAT result despite the negative media and still plenty of proud and passionate Blues fans out in force. Loved it!

Yep the atmos was great and good to see the Blues' fans still passionate.

And we didn't see a silly Mexican wave - I know there was group of people attempting to start a wave or two up behind the goal posts, but the Maroon wig brigade wouldn't have a bar of it, hence the wave died an appropriate death.

To all those clowns who want the dead rubber axed - how many NRL games will attract 61k and attract over 2 million TV viewers right around the country?

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
And we didn't see a silly Mexican wave - I know there was group of people attempting to start a wave or two up behind the goal posts, but the Maroon wig brigade wouldn't have a bar of it, hence the wave died an appropriate death.

It never made it anywhere near the Maroon wig-end :lol:

ByRd

First Grade
I was in Blatcheys blues and there were people trying to start the wave there but it didnt take off as most of us were focused on the game

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah up the back of the Blatchys section is where I saw attempted waves. Right after NSW got to 12-13. Dumbasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts