What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythekid

First Grade
there was not 30k there tonight. it looked a few k more than the 19k at bulldogs v roosters last week. I've been in a 31k crowd which was way more packed than that. i reckon 25k tops. doesn't surprise me though souths inflating crowds when it looks like a half decent crowd (most of which were dogs fans tbh). makes the average look a bit better. if it was a dogs home game they woulda said 25k

It looked about 30K to me. I'm not sure if you're just sour that souths got a good crowd or that they beat your team either way you are letting bias cloud your judgement.

Moffo

Referee
Pigs arse there were 30k there trust me. I was sitting in bay 142 behind the posts and there wern't many spare seats

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I live only 7km from etihad stadium (in st kilda) and for fridays game had to take two seperate trams. The journey took me an hour. Loads of people i know had to change trains for the graveyard. Hardly a perfect public transport arrangement, but like you say its easy to bag something you know nothing about.

Really? :lol:

It sure is.

Might explain why I too was at Etihad Stadium on Friday and took one tram from the opposite side of the city straight to the ground without the need for a change.

You could've caught the 96 straight up from St Kilda Beach to Spencer Street, hopped off outside SC Station and walked the rest, not very far at all.

Nice assumption on "what I don't know though".

Timmah

Staff member
It looked about 30K to me. I'm not sure if you're just sour that souths got a good crowd or that they beat your team either way you are letting bias cloud your judgement.
55-45 in numbers to the dogs fans % wise. Hardly sour that "Souths" got a good crowd.

It's easy to forget the few thousand on the upper deck 4 though, where both sets of premium members had seating. Added plenty to the figure.

mattyg

Bench
i said 24k about 5-10 mins into the game at 6-6. timmah said 25k and my mum said 22k...we've all been STH's for years now and are usually very very close predicting the crowd...not sour at all...just bemused by the crowd considering last week only said 19k when it looked pretty close to the same as tonight.

Timmah

Staff member
Round 4 :: Easter :: Apr 2-5
MEL v STG @ Etihad - 25,480
SYD v BRI @ S.F.S. - 17,106
CRO v PAR @ Toyota - 13,213
NQL v GCO @ D.F.S. - 15,551
NZW v MAN @ Mt Sm - 19,230
CAN v WST @ Canb. - 17,112
NWC v PEN @ E.A.S. - 15,894
SOU v CBY @ ANZ - 30,120

Total: 153,706
Avg: 19,213

shear_joy9

Coach
round 5 looks like it will be pretty dour crowd wise.
dogs/warriors will probably be the only 20k+

parra/canberra on monday will be under 10k

Billythekid

First Grade
55-45 in numbers to the dogs fans % wise. Hardly sour that "Souths" got a good crowd.

Yes but it is still a souths home game hence why i said it was a big souths crowd. I didn't say he was sour because souths had a lot of fans there rather because the large crowd was for a souths home game.

I am not trying to insult dogs fans either, it was great to see so many away fans. Shame more Sydney clubs couldn't do this. If they did we would of had a few more crowds like this to start the year.

i said 24k about 5-10 mins into the game at 6-6. timmah said 25k and my mum said 22k...we've all been STH's for years now and are usually very very close predicting the crowd...not sour at all...just bemused by the crowd considering last week only said 19k when it looked pretty close to the same as tonight.

Wow a whole 5-6K difference thats not really all that much. This happens every year where people constantly question the crowds posted and i think its just silly. It is very hard to tell how many people are at ANZ. Not to mention i still think it looked like 30 and we have another poster saying the same thing.

You have no idea how many people were there so stop trying to discredit the crowd.

Timmah

Staff member
Dunno about that.

Saints/Brissy at WIN is always a strong crowd, Titans Storm, well - hopefully the Titans fans turn up for it... Souths v Newcastle at Gosford should pull a good 13 to 15k, Dogs v Warriors with the right promotion should get around 20k (Pricey's party), Cows v Tigers with NQ finally hitting form at WT playing on fire should pull a 18 or 19k crowd.

Sunday - Manly back at Brookie for the Sharks Steve Rogers trophy match should be a cracker - 16-17k possible - then Penny v Roosters will be entertaining and should grab 16k as well.

Only threat of sub 10k as u said is Monday Parra v Canberra and there's no guarantees it will be sh*t anyway.

Timmah

Staff member
If Parra v Canberra is strong, we might go five rounds.

Billythekid

First Grade
Dunno about that.

Saints/Brissy at WIN is always a strong crowd, Titans Storm, well - hopefully the Titans fans turn up for it... Souths v Newcastle at Gosford should pull a good 13 to 15k, Dogs v Warriors with the right promotion should get around 20k (Pricey's party), Cows v Tigers with NQ finally hitting form at WT playing on fire should pull a 18 or 19k crowd.

Sunday - Manly back at Brookie for the Sharks Steve Rogers trophy match should be a cracker - 16-17k possible - then Penny v Roosters will be entertaining and should grab 16k as well.

Only threat of sub 10k as u said is Monday Parra v Canberra and there's no guarantees it will be sh*t anyway.

Agree with this. I think we could see every game bar the Monday night game get 15K+ fans. I could see us getting an average of around 15-16K.

Considering there are no real big matches in the round that would be a fantastic result.

I am starting to get more confident we can break the crowd record again this year. The big crowds aren't getting much bigger but i think we are starting to get rid of the really poor crowds which have plagued us for a long time.

Timmah

Staff member
I think we're in it ParraEels, it's been early R4 when the duck has broken every year for the last ten I think.

The "bumping up the bottom feeders" argument with membership is the first part of the upswing in crowds IMO, if we can shed the pathetically low crowds i.e. anything under 10k, then we can start planning for bigger regular crowds. Its a long process but we're heading in the right direction.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I think we're in it ParraEels, it's been early R4 when the duck has broken every year for the last ten I think.

The "bumping up the bottom feeders" argument with membership is the first part of the upswing in crowds IMO, if we can shed the pathetically low crowds i.e. anything under 10k, then we can start planning for bigger regular crowds. Its a long process but we're heading in the right direction.

Good stuff then, I agree, if we get the smaller crowds up, we'll def have a new record or close to this year because the big crowds will come when the comp sorts out the gun sides from the pretenders.

Plus the storm and their stadium will go up a fair bit too.

Timmah

Staff member
When we hit a four-figure crowd:

2000 - Round 3
2001 - Round 2
2002 - Round 1 (would you believe, Dogs v WT - at Showground though)
2003 - Round 2
2004 - Round 3
2005 - Round 2
2006 - Round 3
2007 - Round 1
2008 - Round 2
2009 - Round 3
2010 - Round 4 and still going.

Chook Norris

First Grade

no, you were just off tonight ;-)

saw the crowd on tv and first thing that popped into my mind: 28k+

Bay City

Juniors
Great to top 30k. Was at the Easter Show today and lots of people getting around in Dogs and Rabbits gear and i was expecting a big crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts