What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowds

deluded pom?

Coach
especially when the soccer team (which we are told is 2nd to rugby league) outdoes them both quite handsomely

Football is by far the dominant code in the UK. Rugby league is well supported within the city of Hull. Outside of Hull there's very little rugby league interest in the rest of the East Riding. Hull City draw their crowds from the whole of the area because the whole area has an interest in football. Hull FC 14,000+ added to Hull KR 9,000+ and it's not far off the crowds Hull City attract from a smaller population base that has an interest in the sport. Ergo rugby league is actually more popular in the East Riding when population base divided by actual crowds are taken into consideration for either sport. ;-) Stop fishing VFC.

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Football is by far the dominant code in the UK. Rugby league is well supported within the city of Hull. Outside of Hull there's very little rugby league interest in the rest of the East Riding. Hull City draw their crowds from the whole of the area because the whole area has an interest in football. Hull FC 14,000+ added to Hull KR 9,000+ and it's not far off the crowds Hull City attract from a smaller population base that has an interest in the sport. Ergo rugby league is actually more popular in the East Riding when population base divided by actual crowds are taken into consideration for either sport. ;-) Stop fishing VFC.
Whats Ergo Rugby League ?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Plus KR's ground is too small, if they had a 15k stadium, I think they'd go close to filling it most the time if they had a bit of success.

nadera78

Juniors
Plus KR's ground is too small, if they had a 15k stadium, I think they'd go close to filling it most the time if they had a bit of success.

Our resident Hull FC fan will be along soon to comment on this, but I don't think Rovers are big enough to suggest that. For the biggest games against teams with a big away support (FC, Leeds, Wigan) they could probably hit 14-15,000 but their average will never be much more than 10,000.

As for the rest of it, Salford will definitely be getting their new stadium, but they will only be renting it. Salford City Council and the developers Peel will be paying for it and getting their money back through the surrounding development. Might be a problem though if the owners want additional revenue and offer it to the rahrah's as well. Assuming they get a new licence (not at all a definite btw) then I think Salford's crowds will rise by a good 15-20% when they move in.

Sts are pretty far advanced on their move and it's almost 100% to come off. they too will see a rise in attendances. Stadia for Castleford and Wakefield are probably 50/50 at the moment.

Quins crowds are still awful. They finally start doing some marketing and promotional work and it co-incides with the worst coach and team they've had for a good few years. Ce la vie!

Evil Homer

Staff member
They were talking about building a new stand where the temporary seating is and moving the seating to the other end, it looked pretty impressive and was going to take it to about 15,000 I think. Don't know if this is still going ahead though since they have hit financial problems.

deluded pom?

Coach
They were talking about building a new stand where the temporary seating is and moving the seating to the other end, it looked pretty impressive and was going to take it to about 15,000 I think. Don't know if this is still going ahead though since they have hit financial problems.

The only renovation work going on at NCP (that's New Craven Park not National Car Parks) as far as I'm aware is the extension of the East stand which brings capacity up to something like 11,500 but all that will happen is that current passholders who sit in the open golf stand will move to the new extension under cover rather than bringing in new supporters. Rovers will struggle to bring in 10,000 average crowds Parra. They only averaged around 9,000 in their heyday of the early eighties.

The Clan

Juniors
I think Wakefield had just under 7,500 thousand fanswith around 2,500 travelling from Leeds!

That's a pretty good turnout for Wakefield and reflects our good start to the season!

morley101

Juniors
I think Wakefield had just under 7,500 thousand fanswith around 2,500 travelling from Leeds!

That's a pretty good turnout for Wakefield and reflects our good start to the season!

The actual crowd was 9,783 which was 2,000 more than last year.

hutch

First Grade
so round 2 summary:

- hull fc v huddersfield 14520

- salford v crusaders RL 3421

- wigan v hull kr 12429

- castleford v warrington 7569

- bradford v st helens 10165

- harlequins RL v catalans 2330

- wakefield v leeds 9783

pathetic crowds at salford and london!

gsweeper

Juniors
so round 2 summary:

- hull fc v huddersfield 14520

- salford v crusaders RL 3421

- wigan v hull kr 12429

- castleford v warrington 7569

- bradford v st helens 10165

- harlequins RL v catalans 2330

- wakefield v leeds 9783

pathetic crowds at salford and london!

Some of those figures are sad. Its is so annoying to see League in this state in England. As soon as they can Market the game for what it is, they should...It is such a better product than Union, yet many people just can't see that.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Some of those figures are sad. Its is so annoying to see League in this state in England. As soon as they can Market the game for what it is, they should...It is such a better product than Union, yet many people just can't see that.
Don't let those figures mislead you, they are the only two clubs that still get such pathetic crowds and barring a miracle Salford will not be in Super League next time. Crowds are up across the board year on year, apart from at Harlequins and Salford where they continue to be embarrassing and pathetic. To be fair these crowds were well below last year's average for those clubs too.

VictoryFC

Bench

Just playing the devils advocate. :cool:

Springs

First Grade
Could you imagine that 3,000 crowd in the City of Salford stadium? That stadium is going to be one of the best and will probably be used for the co-op championship. Shame.

hutch

First Grade
ROUND 3

- bradford v castleford 8019

- leeds v salford 12700

- catalans v st helens 7825

- warrington v wigan 13024

- crusaders v hull fc 6794

- hull kr v huddersfield 7575

- harlequins v wakefield 3688 (played on 30/1/10)

poor crowd in bradford, what has happened to them over the last few years? good crowds in wrexham and warrington!

Springs

First Grade
St Helens Vs Wakefield - 10,717

Wigan vs Catalans - 12,001

Hull FC Vs Harlequins - 13,965

Salford vs Bradford - 3,806

Damn Salford! Ruins another round of quite good crowd figures, also included in this round is the 10,334 in Wrexham earlier this year. Leaves this round with an average of 10,165 so far.

hutch

First Grade
also ROUND 4

- crusaders v leeds 10334 (played earlier in year)

- castleford v hull kr 6855

- huddersfield v warrington 8567

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Is that a good crowd for Huddersfield? I always thought they could be a strong as the bigger clubs in the SL for crowds, especially with how they went last year and reaching the challenge cup final. Let alone being the birth place of rugby league.

deluded pom?

Coach
Is that a good crowd for Huddersfield? I always thought they could be a strong as the bigger clubs in the SL for crowds, especially with how they went last year and reaching the challenge cup final. Let alone being the birth place of rugby league.

I was disappointed by the crowd at Huddersfield. Warrington isn't that far away and usually travel there in good numbers. I was expecting nearer the 10,000 mark.

deluded pom?

Coach

I was disappointed by the crowd at Huddersfield. Warrington isn't that far away and usually travel there in good numbers. I was expecting nearer the 10,000 mark.