What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Memberships

yobbo84

Coach
From the Rabbitohs Member News Email:

Congratulations Member and thank you for your fantastic support. Yesterday we passed our 2009 Ticketed Member total of 8,638. That is an amazing achievement especially considering the season is 6 weeks away. We now have 8,753 Ticketed Members, 5,953 Non-Ticketed Members for a total of 14,706 Total Members.

Brilliant stuff!

jc155776

Coach
Its good to see Soufs (Lol @ Soufs) fans signing on for another year of misery.

The ticketed members number is impressive.

I hope all clubs are up on last year by season starts and that fans also travel to other games, making the games have a better atmosphere and helping all clubs coffers.

Goddo

Bench
I think you've shot yourself in the foot here. I agree. The true, hard core fans will want a 12 match pass regardless. Its the casual market you're trying to tap in to. There a literally thousands of examples were businesses offer cheaper alternatives. Coles offer their "You'll love Coles" brand AND a basic Coles "No Frills" style brand. And they offer the same products. Just last night I was buying Chicken Kiev, and you could have Ingham for $6.99, You'll love Coles for $6.09 or Coles no frills for $3.99. All were the same 500g 2 pc chicken kiev.

What about Foxtel? Do they only offer a premium package where you must buy every single channel, or can you buy the basic package, sports package, movie package, kids package etc?

Mobile phones...how many differnt plans can you go on depending on your needs?

People will buy if it is value for money for what they are likely to use. At the moment most clubs are only tapping in to their core 5-6,000 that go to 10-12 games per year. That won't change...95% of people are not going to think "sweet, i'm gonna buy a 6 game pass (which isnt as good value per game as the 12 game pass) and then pay full price for the other 4...they'd come out behind and lose the opportunity to attend 2 games. It wouldn't happen.

What do you think the renewal rate is per year. I can bet you it isn't 100%. Maybe 85-90%?? Why do those people stop renewing. Sure, there might be on or off field reasons, but what about the ones who have a new baby and can't go every 2nd week this year? Or who are extending the house and have to tighten the belt? From a business point of view, dont you think it makes sense to have a "step down" package to offer these people rather than lose them completely? The same theory could be used as to why people dont start up memberships. Hmmm...is it really that good? What is it like getting the weekly emails, the member only events, the cap, etc? Do i want to spend $400 to find out?

Exactly my point. But trying to reason with Big Country is like trying to reason with a chair.

For me, I usually take out a Kogarah 6 game pass, then go to about 7-8 other dragons games through the year.

I get in to the ANZAC match for free as I am ex defence, I go to the Rd 10 Bulldogs game if its at ANZ, I will go to the Chooks game at the SCG this year, I usually go to 2 games in the Gong, and the Canberra trip because my bro lives there, Sharks away and Parra away. I was thinking of going to Melbourne this year too, but alas the new stadium won't be ready.

A full 12 match STGI membership wouldn't suit my lifestyle, and it wouldn't get me to some of the matches I would want to go to. I still attend +12 matches a year, but the ones I choose.

I bet there are lots of fans of other clubs who would be interested in supporting their club and going to a few matches a year, but can't justify a full membership, or have time/money constraints.

These are the people the game should target. You never know when in the future they may become full season members too. Its about building the dedicated supporter base.

People on here have criticised St George for having split memberships, but looking at their membership total, obviously there is something in it. Maybe Souths could get their non ticketed members to commit to a half season pass and make them ticketed! Then they would have 14k!

Last edited:

big country

Juniors
Exactly my point. But trying to reason with Big Country is like trying to reason with a chair.

For me, I usually take out a Kogarah 6 game pass, then go to about 7-8 other dragons games through the year.

I get in to the ANZAC match for free as I am ex defence, I go to the Rd 10 Bulldogs game if its at ANZ, I will go to the Chooks game at the SCG this year, I usually go to 2 games in the Gong, and the Canberra trip because my bro lives there, Sharks away and Parra away. I was thinking of going to Melbourne this year too, but alas the new stadium won't be ready.

A full 12 match STGI membership wouldn't suit my lifestyle, and it wouldn't get me to some of the matches I would want to go to. I still attend +12 matches a year, but the ones I choose.

I bet there are lots of fans of other clubs who would be interested in supporting their club and going to a few matches a year, but can't justify a full membership, or have time/money constraints.

These are the people the game should target. You never know when in the future they may become full season members too. Its about building the dedicated supporter base.

go ahead and compare rugby league clubs which struggles to break even every year to multi million dollar profit making enterprises like Coles and Telcos who have millions of customers and can play with product options. Again I ask, Why would a club who is attracting more and more FULL season ticket holders each year then give those members the option to downgrade and therefore cut into their profit margin - sorry, I must have flunked my course in strategic business management

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
I have just signed up my dad my brother and I to a six game kogarah pass, none of us have been members before.

My partner is having a baby next week so I could not afford a 12 game pass. I also had to convince my dad and brother that they should be members and I doubt I would have been able to persuade them to get a 12 game pass.

I am very happy that my club has the option to buy a half season pass. That is 3 new members the club has got because they provide the option of a half season pass.

adamkungl

Immortal
Do Roosters even have a marketing department anymore? Today I saw Souths salespeople at both Eastlakes and Randwick Junction. ffs why aren't we making this effort.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Ive seen Souths van and a table set up a bondi on saturdays, thats a bit of a risky move! but maybe thats why their numbers are high

westie

Bench
Do Roosters even have a marketing department anymore? Today I saw Souths salespeople at both Eastlakes and Randwick Junction. ffs why aren't we making this effort.

Mate you've got Noyce as your CEO. What did you expect? He'd suddenly learn competent administration after leaving Wests?

Fein

First Grade

The Roosters fans have been up in arms about their "marketing" department for a few years now.

What's the go Adam?

adamkungl

Immortal
The Roosters fans have been up in arms about their "marketing" department for a few years now.

What's the go Adam?

There was some improvement in 08 and 09...but it looks like our membership campaign died with Freddy's coaching career.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
go ahead and compare rugby league clubs which struggles to break even every year to multi million dollar profit making enterprises like Coles and Telcos who have millions of customers and can play with product options. Again I ask, Why would a club who is attracting more and more FULL season ticket holders each year then give those members the option to downgrade and therefore cut into their profit margin - sorry, I must have flunked my course in strategic business management

What's better, 10k people at $5, or 5k people at $10?

They both yield the same result in $$$, the former gets more bums on seats, which in turn is a boon for sponsorship.

One of the biggest complaints about membership in recent years is that they're too expensive and there's not enough variety. If you can't see that after your "strategic business management course" you're dopier than I thought.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ticketed memberships have to offer exceptional good value (or if you are lucky enough to be WC Eagles a guaranteed seat to a game) otherwise fans won't sign up. I doubt there are many fans that sign up just to "support the club", the die hards maybe but they are probably only a few thousand.

Charlie124

First Grade
Well the Cowboys finally answered my prayers and now offer a membership package which doesnt involve tickets (seeing as i live in Brisbane). I signed up a few days ago.

Billythekid

First Grade
What's better, 10k people at $5, or 5k people at $10?

They both yield the same result in $$$, the former gets more bums on seats, which in turn is a boon for sponsorship.

It does more than that though. More people coming to games leads to an increase in merchandise as well as other sales at the ground.

Not to mention bigger crowd = better atmosphere which leads to more people wanting to come to games.

Also as has been mentioned many times clubs are much better of with a year round income.

Any questioning the benefit of ST holders need only look at the AFL. I can't understand why anyone would be against it. It simply must be a case of willful ignorance or plain stupidity (or maybe their club is one of the ones falling behind).

Goddo

Bench
I have just signed up my dad my brother and I to a six game kogarah pass, none of us have been members before.

My partner is having a baby next week so I could not afford a 12 game pass. I also had to convince my dad and brother that they should be members and I doubt I would have been able to persuade them to get a 12 game pass.

I am very happy that my club has the option to buy a half season pass. That is 3 new members the club has got because they provide the option of a half season pass.

Big Country, this.

Thats 3 members STGI wouldn't have if it wasn't for 6 game memberships. 12 game passes are still cheaper than 6 per game, but 6 gives people flexability to buy a product that suits them.

big country

Juniors
Big Country, this.

Thats 3 members STGI wouldn't have if it wasn't for 6 game memberships. 12 game passes are still cheaper than 6 per game, but 6 gives people flexability to buy a product that suits them.

that's because STGI have two home grounds as do West Tigers......and take away country memberships (out of town) there really is no logical reason why clubs would offer memebers the opportunity to downsize on their season tickets

adamkungl

Immortal
that's because STGI have two home grounds as do West Tigers......and take away country memberships (out of town) there really is no logical reason why clubs would offer memebers the opportunity to downsize on their season tickets

Yes there is. A lot of people can't commit to an entire season. It's plainly obvious that the only reason you're against this is because Souths don't offer them.