What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Memberships

so

the sharks, after 5 solid wins all year are up to 3k in ticketed members. 1000 more than last year.

The dogs are up to 10k members at least.
souffs to 17k total and 10k ticketed.

parras gone up bu huuuge percentage....

yeah. league in sydney is floundering. boot teams now....

MsStorm

Bench
Don't need to preach to me about A-League. I thought it had potential at the start, due to the immense playing numbers... but realistically, there's not the quality here, nor the money to attract or keep it anyway.

From what I read on the net the A-League are going to get a huge boost for the next foxtel tv rights, which might help, but they more than likely need to get a good FTA contract to keep them more buoyant.

One thing's for sure, if it wasn't for Melbourne Victory, their average attendances for the season would be really poor (barring finals of course).

Anyway back to rugby league, its great to see teams like Souths, Bulldogs, Parra in particular reaching or getting close to their target of 10,000 ticketed members.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
big_matt, do you have a general bias against local/Australian sporting competitions? Are you Australian?

big_matt

Juniors
That explains a fair bit.

What does it explain? Do you think non-australians shouldn't live here? Am I allowed to pass comment on the a-league or only if its your opinion?

If you are an australian do you have to blindly claim every aussie sports team is great?

I'm a member at the Storm so I obviously support australian clubs financially. I think the a-league is very poor quality soccer and will stand by that.

btw is your job as moderator just to troll the boards looking for people to pick on?

big_matt

Juniors
ps Westie (above) also said the a-league is crap. Why aren't you calling him out and asking if he is Australian?

Timmah

Staff member
What does it explain? Do you think non-australians shouldn't live here? Am I allowed to pass comment on the a-league or only if its your opinion?

If you are an australian do you have to blindly claim every aussie sports team is great?

I'm a member at the Storm so I obviously support australian clubs financially. I think the a-league is very poor quality soccer and will stand by that.

btw is your job as moderator just to troll the boards looking for people to pick on?
You're allowed to pass comment on whatever you like, my status a moderator is irrelevant. Thanks for your interest though.

Of course the quality of the A-League is not as good as the EPL, nor will it ever be, should we not support it because it's not the best in the world? What a negative opinion.
ps Westie (above) also said the a-league is crap. Why aren't you calling him out and asking if he is Australian?
Because you've gone out of your way to get noticed about crowds in not one but two threads. westie's been posting here regularly for years and I've already had a few arguments with him here and there.

big_matt

Juniors
You're allowed to pass comment on whatever you like, my status a moderator is irrelevant. Thanks for your interest though.

Of course the quality of the A-League is not as good as the EPL, nor will it ever be, should we not support it because it's not the best in the world? What a negative opinion.

Because you've gone out of your way to get noticed about crowds in not one but two threads. westie's been posting here regularly for years and I've already had a few arguments with him here and there.

1) You didn't mention any of my questions
2) I have never stated the a-league is as good as the EPL, nor do I expect it to be
3) I simply stated a widely held opinion that the quality of a-league is low enough that it may not be a viable long term concept. It's not a totally outrageous statement and many pundits in the media seem to have the same view. Why does that deserve an attack on me due to being non-australian etc?

Support every australian sports team if you want, but accept others may have a valid opinion. The 3k attendances turning up to see gold coast united quite clearly suggests that the product on the field may not be as good as it needs to be.

Lambretta

First Grade
Fair enough mate. I come from the UK where I had a membership at Celtic. Now some people would tell you scottish teams are bad but after watching that I just cant bring myself to watch the victory. I can understand that people are into it but for me the quality has to come way up before its a viable concept for people to pay good money to watch.

By Christ. If anyone who has witnessed the likes of St Johnston, Partick Thistle and Motherwell play thinks the A-League is bad, then it's definately doomed.

Have to agree with you though mate. I turn off most A-League games as I'm genuinely just not interested in game. I'm not sure if it's the lack of atmosphere in the crowd as the Victory are one of the few teams I will watch or just pure apathy. I watched the MK Dons (my home town team) at Christmas and the standard was pretty similar to the A-League, but I was enthralled. Maybe it's because I had an emotional interest in the club. But yeah, Gold Coast vs Adelaide??? I'd rather not thanks. I just cant summon the passion to show any interest.

Timmah

Staff member
1) You didn't mention any of my questions
That's a lie, I answered a few of them. I ignored others because... well... I can.
2) I have never stated the a-league is as good as the EPL, nor do I expect it to be
Then what is your "low quality" assessment based on? I've watched the best part of the the last 4 of the 5 A-League seasons, and the current season is the best quality of the ones I've watched. That's JMO though.
3) I simply stated a widely held opinion that the quality of a-league is low enough that it may not be a viable long term concept. It's not a totally outrageous statement and many pundits in the media seem to have the same view. Why does that deserve an attack on me due to being non-australian etc?
Because you announced yourself early and it appears you have an agenda.
Support every australian sports team if you want, but accept others may have a valid opinion. The 3k attendances turning up to see gold coast united quite clearly suggests that the product on the field may not be as good as it needs to be.
That, or it may just be that the code isn't as strong in that particular region than it is in others. FWIW, I think the expansion was ill-considered and further expansion might be damaging to the game. Just don't see why "low quality" or poor attendances means people should stop supporting it?

big_matt

Juniors
By Christ. If anyone who has witnessed the likes of St Johnston, Partick Thistle and Motherwell play thinks the A-League is bad, then it's definately doomed.

Have to agree with you though mate. I turn off most A-League games as I'm genuinely just not interested in game. I'm not sure if it's the lack of atmosphere in the crowd as the Victory are one of the few teams I will watch or just pure apathy. I watched the MK Dons (my home town team) at Christmas and the standard was pretty similar to the A-League, but I was enthralled. Maybe it's because I had an emotional interest in the club. But yeah, Gold Coast vs Adelaide??? I'd rather not thanks. I just cant summon the passion to show any interest.

To be fair mate st johnstone and partick are not in the top division in scotland, and motherwell has produced very good players (McFadden etc) that are EPL standard.

But I agree with you. There is some reason why I just can't watch it. The quality is low (take Brebner at Victory who was rejected by dundee utd) but the whole product is just not right.

The reason I go to live sport like the storm is you see amazing players doing amazing things. With the a-league, they are better standard than the league side I play for but nothing they do really excites me.

Might be the emotional thing though.

Timmah

Staff member
Hold on, you don't watch it but you know it's low quality?

big_matt

Juniors
That's a lie, I answered a few of them. I ignored others because... well... I can.

Then what is your "low quality" assessment based on? I've watched the best part of the the last 4 of the 5 A-League seasons, and the current season is the best quality of the ones I've watched. That's JMO though.

Because you announced yourself early and it appears you have an agenda.

That, or it may just be that the code isn't as strong in that particular region than it is in others. FWIW, I think the expansion was ill-considered and further expansion might be damaging to the game. Just don't see why "low quality" or poor attendances means people should stop supporting it?

We'll have to agree to disagree mate. I think its low quality simply because the players arent good enough. Guys that can't even get a game in Scotland (a very poor league) are playing key roles here. If you enjoy the games thats great. I didnt say no-one can enjoy them. I just said the quality of player is low and I think many people would agree with me.

It's just a difference of opinion though. If saying the a-league is poor standard is having an agenda then I suppose I have an agenda.

Dan70

Juniors
Bare in mind big_matt that the A-League is only 5 years old, and is currently filled with players who where developed though the disastrous tail end of the NSL.

The quality has improved every year, and the younger guys coming through are the ones making the most impact. This, coupled with the fact that our youth systems have been overhauled, and a big TV deal is in the making (which should lead to an increase in the salary cap), means there is plenty of incentives for Aussie Football fans to stick with it until the quality is at least comparable to the Scottish/Belgian/Swiss/Romanian leagues.

big_matt

Juniors
Bare in mind big_matt that the A-League is only 5 years old, and is currently filled with players who where developed though the disastrous tail end of the NSL.

The quality has improved every year, and the younger guys coming through are the ones making the most impact. This, coupled with the fact that our youth systems have been overhauled, and a big TV deal is in the making (which should lead to an increase in the salary cap), means there is plenty of incentives for Aussie Football fans to stick with it until the quality is at least comparable to the Scottish/Belgian/Swiss/Romanian leagues.

Will the quality reach that level though mate? Robbie Keane at celtic is on 60k quid a week (120k AUD). That's what a lot of the a-league guys earn in a year so it's a big difference. Admittedly the new tv deal should close that gap a little bit.

I'd be interested to know your views on why you think the crowds are really dropping off. Whenever you see Roar highlights on the news its like they are playing in a closed stadium, and a few of the clubs are in real trouble already. Why has this happened?

What do you think needs to happen to get people through the door? I believe you when you say you find the young guys exciting but why aren't people getting through the turnstiles to watch them?

I like the fact the a-league took away the religeous stuff from the old regime but I just don't see how it will take off. Maybe the guys leaving a-league are (hopefully) coming to NRL games instead!

Evenflow

Bench
The A leage is a sh*t comp and for me that's exactly a reason not to watch it Tim. If you want to watch it then more power to you but don't carry on when it someone chooses not to sit through watching it because they find it boring. I love premier league but haven't watched A-league for ages because i think it's a crap standard. Sue me.

Sorry to be blunt but get the f**k over it because it's my prerogative to watch what i want to watch and for what reason i want, just like it's yours or anyone else's who choose to subject themselves to such torture. Obviously i'm not alone, there's a reason why several clubs have folded thus far in the leagues short history as well as another couple that are under scrutiny to stay afloat right now.

They might be getting a couple more new sides in the near future and give a false impression that the league is thriving, but we both know there's a very real chance that both those sides may not be around a couple years after they form. If thay still are i've no doubt that another couple will fold in that time.