What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you can't see why that's great marketing for the club and the NRL, you're an idiot.
In one sense you're right, but we need to focus on getting our locals to follow it before worrying about the USA.

BunniesMan

Immortal
In one sense you're right, but we need to focus on getting our locals to follow it before worrying about the USA.
I meant locally. Look at the DT website, 50 refugees died in a boat crash and the Bon Jovi pic with him in the jersey is the lead story with the pic being almost as big as the boat one. Putting NRL merchandise on people like Oprah and Bon Jovi puts the game in the headlines here and anytime we are in the headlines for a non scandal related story, it's great for the game.

dgsfan

Juniors
Timmah's just jealous because he's not wearing a Bears jersey or a St Merge one.

Good on Souths.

gronkathon

First Grade
I meant locally. Look at the DT website, 50 refugees died in a boat crash and the Bon Jovi pic with him in the jersey is the lead story with the pic being almost as big as the boat one. Putting NRL merchandise on people like Oprah and Bon Jovi puts the game in the headlines here and anytime we are in the headlines for a non scandal related story, it's great for the game.

That says more about the sad state of the Telegraph and media in general as does the general Oprah wankfest portion of news bulletins nightly during her paid vacation.

That and remember the boat people are evil invaders trying to take our way of life if you subscribe to that rags overall picture

MatthewA

Juniors
If you can't see why that's great marketing for the club and the NRL, you're an idiot.
What Timmah and gronkathon said... Maybe Russell should stop trying to flog a dead horse, actually watch his side make the finals and do semi-decent and even perhaps win a finals match before going off and slapping merchandise on the backs of over season celebrities.

Do you honestly think that it's great marketing?

BunniesMan

Immortal
What Timmah and gronkathon said... Maybe Russell should stop trying to flog a dead horse, actually watch his side make the finals and do semi-decent and even perhaps win a finals match before going off and slapping merchandise on the backs of over season celebrities.

Ofcourse it is. And you're a fool if you think you can only do one thing at a time when you're in charge of an NRL club, running a club well off the field is a necessity whether the club is going great or not on the field. I wonder how much it would have cost to get the same amount of coverage on tv and in the papers if Crowe paid for ads in the paper/tv. He got it for free. It's great marketing.

hellteam

First Grade
I love the new top, who wouldnt want a sponsors logo with no text on it!

Souths really do the have best merch in the game. You can tell that Crowe atually spends time trying to integrate things like the sponsors into the jersey/etc as best as possible.

If other clubs had Star City as their sponsor they’d have a big white block with a multi coloured Star City logo on it and the website for it underneath…

Honestly I’d like to see him help the commission set some guidelines on sponsor integration on the jerseys but it’ll never happen.

Dude, most clubs intergrate the sponsorship these days, including your own club.

As for the Souths' Star City sponsorship... well - I'm not sold. To most Sydneysiders that might be obvious but for branding purposes outside Sydney, not having the words "Star City" appear is criminal in terms of marketing.

Yep, Timmah you are right. sh*t move by Star City.

I had no idea whatt that logo was until I read it was Star City elsewhere.

beave

Coach
Manly- Beautiful jerseys, well done again ISC.

Knights.................. horrendous.

Souths- good on them for getting star city on board, but some people (the less observant of the general public, or ones who have never been to Sydney) might think their sponsored by the NAB by the lack of words under the star........ just saying

hunters

Juniors

You don't think he's gotten his $175 worth of coverage? Name me a better example of marketing in the game.

MatthewA

Juniors
You're right.

But again I'll ask - does anyone really care if Bon Jovi is wearing a Souths jersey? Or Oprah is wearing a Souths hat? Does it make them want to go for the club and support them? Fort me it's the complete opposite. It annoys me.

But you're right, it is cheap and I guess affectively smart marketing by Crowe. I'm just sick of our game being flogged over seas because his a movie star. Start in our own backyard and then expand.

hunters

Juniors
You're right.

But again I'll ask - does anyone really care if Bon Jovi is wearing a Souths jersey? Or Oprah is wearing a Souths hat? Does it make them want to go for the club and support them? Fort me it's the complete opposite. It annoys me.

But you're right, it is cheap and I guess affectively smart marketing by Crowe. I'm just sick of our game being flogged over seas because his a movie star. Start in our own backyard and then expand.
But he is doing this in our back yard! Do you think all those people in greater western sydney are seeing these pics? If it means a few of those people have had Rugby League on their mind instead of that other crap game they are about to be bombarded with, then every league fan should stand and applaud!

You need to start seeing the Souths jersey as a league jersey. There was some rumour floating around the other day that Hugh Jackman was going to give a Manly jersey. That would have been great too.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench

Is that a rhetorical question? Because if not Star City just made their $3mil+ in the last week with Oprah wearing their logo. Bon Jovi is icing on the top. When we become the first club to make $3mil per annum from front of jersey sponsorships alone - which we aren't far from now - I'd have to say that yes, it is great marketing. I'm sure those at Star City are very pleased.

As for the first of your paragraphs, well, it makes no sense.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
You're right.

And I thought your first post made no sense. It was an Orwellian masterpiece in comparison to this one.

applesauce

Bench
I wonder if convicted murderer Gabe Watson constantly getting photographed in Souths merchandise is good marketing too.

Read an article about that in a NEWS LTD paper :shock: saying there was nothing too bad with it (not going to try and find it). A media and social sciences professor from UQ said that it does less damage than any player indiscretions, and went on to say something like publicity is publicity.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
good on souths for their constant promotion, gotta admit though that bon jovi looks like a nice person in that pic. he looks pretty uncomfortable wearing it....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Poor Rusty... perhaps he didn't give Bon Jovi a good enough BJ...

h3h3xpfj:iphone

Latest posts