What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

_Johnsy

Referee
I think it's sad when you think of a team and you don't thi nk of their long term home strip initially.

Eg, Penrith (I mean what is it these days) Brisbane (Some god awful combination that does not resemble their 1st jersey, the colours are not even really close). West Tigers (Have a history of looking like a kid ate black, orange crayons and vomited on a white shirt) etc.

You get the idea. IMO a constant home design goes hand in hand with a sense of tradition.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think it's sad when you think of a team and you don't thi nk of their long term home strip initially.

Eg, Penrith (I mean what is it these days) Brisbane (Some god awful combination that does not resemble their 1st jersey, the colours are not even really close). West Tigers (Have a history of looking like a kid ate black, orange crayons and vomited on a white shirt) etc.

You get the idea. IMO a constant home design goes hand in hand with a sense of tradition.
+1

Avenger

Immortal

This is what Penrith's should be

images

LineBall

Juniors
Teams obviously need to change jerseys so they can sell the new ones. Otherwise, people would buy one jersey when they are 15 and wear it for the rest of their lives.

I don't care that teams change their jerseys often, it needs to happen. I just hate it when they turn out absolutely sh*t designs.

One way to avoid this - a la the EPL - is to allow players to have their own numbers and name on the back of the jersey. That way fans who have a favourite player or a new player coming to the club - they would be more tempted to buy a new jersey, with that player's number and name on the back, even though the design hasn't changed.

Not saying I'm a big fan of players choosing their own numbers, but could be an alternative to clubs making money out of jerseys by changing their designs every 3-4 years.

BunniesMan

Immortal
One way to avoid this - a la the EPL - is to allow players to have their own numbers and name on the back of the jersey. That way fans who have a favourite player or a new player coming to the club - they would be more tempted to buy a new jersey, with that player's number and name on the back, even though the design hasn't changed.

Not saying I'm a big fan of players choosing their own numbers, but could be an alternative to clubs making money out of jerseys by changing their designs every 3-4 years.
This. It's why I'm for unique numbers and names on the back of the jersey, like just about every single other sport has. It can be a way of creating jersey revenue without f**king up the design every 3 years. Imagine someone like Hayne choosing Michael Jordan's 23. "Hayne 23" eels jerseys would fly off the shelves like hotcakes.

Shorty

Staff member
This is an NFL thing as well, and I think it would do so well here.
I don't know why they don't do it...it's such a successful concept.

This seems to be an Australian sport problem, because I don't know any teams that have their name on the back....Rugby, AFL, even the Cricket sometimes!

Avenger

Immortal
This. It's why I'm for unique numbers and names on the back of the jersey, like just about every single other sport has. It can be a way of creating jersey revenue without f**king up the design every 3 years. Imagine someone like Hayne choosing Michael Jordan's 23. "Hayne 23" eels jerseys would fly off the shelves like hotcakes.
Mr Hayne has already chosen his number.

r606671_3982120.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
This is an NFL thing as well, and I think it would do so well here.
I don't know why they don't do it...it's such a successful concept.

This seems to be an Australian sport problem, because I don't know any teams that have their name on the back....Rugby, AFL, even the Cricket sometimes!
In the AFL you get to at least choose your number, and in cricket they have their names on the jersey and their own number in limited overs cricket and in shield cricket.

Mr Hayne has already chosen his number.

r606671_3982120.jpg
He hasn't "chosen" that number. He's forced to wear it. But even if we did introduce the system I was talking about and he did decide to stick with "1", that's fine too, "Hayne 1" would sell just as much.

The point isn't which number they chose, it was just an example, but if you could go to your teams website and choose whatever player's name and number you want on your jersey like I can when I brought my Arsenal (english soccer) jersey it would increase sales without doing it the cynical way of bringing in some crappy artificial design every 3 years.

And it would keep bringing in money year in and year out as new players became stars or clubs brought in a marquee guy. Like the Rabbitohs would have made money selling "Inglis X" jerseys this offseason.

And because it would be players names and number being sold, we would know which players are popular, which players have the kids forking out money and we could give each player a % of the profits on his jersey. Ideally it wouldn't be counted against the cap and it would be yet another new revenue stream to keep players in the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I thought the reason most NRL fans were against it was because it was too much of a reminder of SL, and for corporates and clubs it compromises the amount of space available for sponsorship.

LineBall

Juniors
I thought the reason most NRL fans were against it was because it was too much of a reminder of SL, and for corporates and clubs it compromises the amount of space available for sponsorship.

Connections with superleague may be an issue for some people.

As far as the player's name preventing a potential sponsor - well - perhaps clubs should look at it from the angle of having a single sponsor on the front of the jersey. Then they could command the same sponsorship dollars by having the exclusivity of being the only logo/brand to be seen - and not having to compete with sleeve sponsors, above number, below number, shorts sponsors etc, etc.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Not this own number bullsh*t again. Lets face, one gronk from each club will choose 23. One will choose 69 in attempt at school boy humour. another will choose number one because 'their number one' The rest will choose, shock horror, the number that they have played with their own lives - that is, 2 through 13.

Any idea from SwanniesMan should be taken with a thousand kilograms of salt, next he'll be advocating that jerseys should be sleeveless and shorts should ride up player's clackers.

LineBall

Juniors
Not this own number bullsh*t again. Lets face, one gronk from each club will choose 23. One will choose 69 in attempt at school boy humour. another will choose number one because 'their number one' The rest will choose, shock horror, the number that they have played with their own lives - that is, 2 through 13.

Any idea from SwanniesMan should be taken with a thousand kilograms of salt, next he'll be advocating that jerseys should be sleeveless and shorts should ride up player's clackers.

Initially most players proabably would pick the number they currently play in. But if the entire list of players eligible to play first grade had to pick a number, eventually you would start to see other numbers creep into the team lineups.

hellteam

First Grade

Hey, you're preaching to the choir here, I'm a massive fan of this idea. Should happen for sure.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Whats wrong with squad numbers? 1-25?

You move up in seniority or whatever. I think the number system is outdated and irrelevant, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should change it for someting that is just as irrelevant.

The numbering system is pointless, but there's a lot tradition there. No need for more bullsh*t modern marketing just for the sake of it.

Timmah

Staff member

Cannot agree totally. While most teams in SL97 had a player who chose 23, looking over player numbers I cannot see one player who played in #69, most players who chose number 1 was due to them playing fullback in previous seasons.

Most numbers from what I could see were between 1 and 50. Looking at soccer, it seems to work in most cases and number choices are fairly simple and straightforward. It's arguably the most popular sport in the world and merchandise with names and numbers like Rooney and Gerrard are popular the world over... it's not an idea completely without merit.

Timmah

Staff member
On another note, I believe we'll likely see the Dragons' Charity Shield strip released tomorrow, the launch press conference is taking place at ANZ Stadium with both teams. The rumour (as I think has been mentioned in this thread before) is a white vee on a red jersey. We shall see.

Latest posts