What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

BunniesMan

Immortal
I thought the reason most NRL fans were against it was because it was too much of a reminder of SL,
SL was a generation ago, kids today (the future of league, and the consumers who this kind of thing is directed to) don't know of or care about SL. I don't see many people going "well SL did it, so I don't want to buy a personalised jersey".
and for corporates and clubs it compromises the amount of space available for sponsorship
Well the numbers would be the same size as they are, and I think we can fit a name that would only be maybe 2 or 3 inches tall.
Whats wrong with squad numbers? 1-25?

You move up in seniority or whatever. I think the number system is outdated and irrelevant, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should change it for someting that is just as irrelevant.

The numbering system is pointless, but there's a lot tradition there. No need for more bullsh*t modern marketing just for the sake of it.
The two biggest and most succesful sporting leagues in the world, american football and english soccer do it and they seem to be very succesful with it.

It would help stop clubs being forced to make sh*t designs just to make a few bucks. It would bring fans closer to their stars, and open another source of revenue that could go directly to players and make it more likely for them to stay in the code.

I know Searle, the Titans CEO, supports the idea and he's one of the best minds in the game today, I'd be listening to him.

Avenger

Immortal
He hasn't "chosen" that number. He's forced to wear it. But even if we did introduce the system I was talking about and he did decide to stick with "1", that's fine too, "Hayne 1" would sell just as much.

The point isn't which number they chose, it was just an example, but if you could go to your teams website and choose whatever player's name and number you want on your jersey like I can when I brought my Arsenal (english soccer) jersey it would increase sales without doing it the cynical way of bringing in some crappy artificial design every 3 years.

And it would keep bringing in money year in and year out as new players became stars or clubs brought in a marquee guy. Like the Rabbitohs would have made money selling "Inglis X" jerseys this offseason.

And because it would be players names and number being sold, we would know which players are popular, which players have the kids forking out money and we could give each player a % of the profits on his jersey. Ideally it wouldn't be counted against the cap and it would be yet another new revenue stream to keep players in the game.

I get your point, it's just that I cannot see him in any other number.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Cannot agree totally. While most teams in SL97 had a player who chose 23, looking over player numbers I cannot see one player who played in #69, most players who chose number 1 was due to them playing fullback in previous seasons.

Most numbers from what I could see were between 1 and 50. Looking at soccer, it seems to work in most cases and number choices are fairly simple and straightforward. It's arguably the most popular sport in the world and merchandise with names and numbers like Rooney and Gerrard are popular the world over... it's not an idea completely without merit.
I realise it has a lot of merit marketing wise but I question whether it will look phony or forced on a league jersey. As far as soccer goes do you or anyone else have any idea on what percentage a player gets for each jersey sold with their number or name on it in other sports?

_Johnsy

Referee
IMO the numbers are a representation of a specific position. We do not need to follow other sports.

hellteam

First Grade
Well they should at least put players names on them. Choose your top 25 at the start of the year, thats the number you play in for the year.

For example in soccer, basketball and NFL etc, people buy jerseys just because of the players names on them. Not just the team. We can have that in league. I wouldn't have minded buying a Johns 7 jersey, or a Wally Lewis Gold Coast jersey

hellteam

First Grade
IMO the numbers are a representation of a specific position. We do not need to follow other sports.

Who cares though? interchange players come on all the time and nobody needs to specifically know what position they are playing.

BunniesMan

Immortal
In basketball and soccer there used to be specific numbers for specific positions. They moved on and so should we. The tradition argument is crap, if clubs are allowed to change their traditional jerseys every 3 years just to make money i'd rather do it this way and keep the much more important tradition (the actual jerseys themselves) intact.
Well they should at least put players names on them. Choose your top 25 at the start of the year, thats the number you play in for the year.

For example in soccer, basketball and NFL etc, people buy jerseys just because of the players names on them. Not just the team. We can have that in league. I wouldn't have minded buying a Johns 7 jersey, or a Wally Lewis Gold Coast jersey
Exactly, while I want both personalised numbers and names, I'd settle for just one of them.

It comes down to this, would people rather their team keep changing their designs and even their colours every 3 years to continuously crappier designs, just to make a few bucks, or would they rather keep their iconic designs and colours and make personalised jerseys for the same reason. IMO the latter is the much better option.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
I have to laugh at some people....tradition? From a sport that has butchered it's jersey every 3 years.
A part of me died when the Kangeroos jumper got that ugly advertisement right on the front of it, a booze one no less!

And...the amount of revenue personalised jerseys would bring into the game would really help, and you can see when you go to any game just how much people would enjoy this.
A lot of kids and adults have ironed on a number and a name themselves, I'm sure a lot people on here do it themselves.

Maybe the money made from this would ensure that teams wouldn't have to bend over to advertisements polluting a great jersey.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I for one can say, even though I bought a Souths jersey in the last 6 months, if we bought in personalised jerseys I'd buy one on the very first day it was out. That would be $150+ bucks going towards the game right there. My biggest problem would be choosing between a Burgess, Luke or Inglis jersey...ahh the problems that come with cheering for a team with so many stars.

LineBall

Juniors
I have to laugh at some people....tradition? From a sport that has butchered it's jersey every 3 years.
A part of me died when the Kangeroos jumper got that ugly advertisement right on the front of it, a booze one no less!

And...the amount of revenue personalised jerseys would bring into the game would really help, and you can see when you go to any game just how much people would enjoy this.
A lot of kids and adults have ironed on a number and a name themselves, I'm sure a lot people on here do it themselves.

Maybe the money made from this would ensure that teams wouldn't have to bend over to advertisements polluting a great jersey.

I think the traditionalists could be kept happy with the rep jumpers keeping the 1-13 numbering. The players most likely would also like this - being the Australian number one would be something they would always treasure - as the chance to play in that jersey is rare and an honour.

Club football on the other hand - imagine the marketing you could get if Parra signed Sonny Bill Williams - with Kearney handing him the now current ( and great looking ) Parra jersey - with williams on the back ( above whatever number he bloody well likes). They would be on a great little revenue earner there.

cleary89

Coach

If we were to change the numbering, it has to be to this imo. Would make sense, and probably get the result all you guys want. But without making players pick a favorite number.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
SL was a generation ago, kids today (the future of league, and the consumers who this kind of thing is directed to) don't know of or care about SL. I don't see many people going "well SL did it, so I don't want to buy a personalised jersey".

Well the numbers would be the same size as they are, and I think we can fit a name that would only be maybe 2 or 3 inches tall.

The two biggest and most succesful sporting leagues in the world, american football and english soccer do it and they seem to be very succesful with it.

It would help stop clubs being forced to make sh*t designs just to make a few bucks. It would bring fans closer to their stars, and open another source of revenue that could go directly to players and make it more likely for them to stay in the code.

I know Searle, the Titans CEO, supports the idea and he's one of the best minds in the game today, I'd be listening to him.

Fair enough. I'm really apathetic on this issue. I dont see how it would negate the need to create revenue via jersey changes though. If a player has the same number every year & they don't change the strip, where does their repeat jumper sales business come from?

As I've said before, you cannot possibly use the NFL as an example. 32 one team towns, most from cities the size of Sydney. If the NRL was in a similar market, then I see your point. But we're not, so stop comparing.

As for the EPL - they change their strips EVERY year and also have a massive turnover of players, hence a continual stream of revenue from repeat business / upgrades for the current version.

Your bullsh*t sounds more and more like a Craig Foster column in the SMH every time you post. A lot bluster with no substance of note to support your arguments.

LESStar58

Referee

Yep. The best looking jersey in world sport has been ruined by the logo of the most God awful swill ever concucted!

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think the traditionalists could be kept happy with the rep jumpers keeping the 1-13 numbering. The players most likely would also like this - being the Australian number one would be something they would always treasure - as the chance to play in that jersey is rare and an honour.

Club football on the other hand - imagine the marketing you could get if Parra signed Sonny Bill Williams - with Kearney handing him the now current ( and great looking ) Parra jersey - with williams on the back ( above whatever number he bloody well likes). They would be on a great little revenue earner there.
I think that's a great compromise between tradition and modern marketing. As a fan of personalised jerseys, even I'm for the rep jerseys staying traditional.
Fair enough. I'm really apathetic on this issue. I dont see how it would negate the need to create revenue via jersey changes though. If a player has the same number every year & they don't change the strip, where does their repeat jumper sales business come from?
Think about it. Look at any team's squad from 5 years ago, and look at the same team's squad now. Hugely different. Many players have gone, many have arrived from other teams or juniors, many new stars.

Each time a new fashionable star came that would be more jerseys sold, or when a junior really hits the big time.

As for the EPL - they change their strips EVERY year and also have a massive turnover of players, hence a continual stream of revenue from repeat business / upgrades for the current version.
They change sponsorships, but the jersey design itself and the colours generally change very little from year to year.

Shorty

Staff member
If we were to change the numbering, it has to be to this imo. Would make sense, and probably get the result all you guys want. But without making players pick a favorite number.
I don't know if some people on here aren't familiar with overseas sports or what.
But there is always a limit to a number system, the NFL doesn't just go 'Here you go....take your pick!'
Depending on your position you only have like 20 or so numbers to choose from.

69? This play has to pull this on when he takes the field....it's HIS number...fair dinkum whoever said that....obviously didn't value their number in sport.
I have never seen that and see no reason why anyone would do that.
[/B]

As I've said before, you cannot possibly use the NFL as an example. 32 one team towns, most from cities the size of Sydney. If the NRL was in a similar market, then I see your point. But we're not, so stop comparing.
Probably from a lot more people willing to buy a jumper with the number and name of their favourite player rather than buying a t shirt with a few sponsors on it.

Repeat sales come from the new signings, new talent and other players, hell I would be fine with jersey changes if most stuck to the original designs and colours!

The NFL is a fantastic example because they got where they are from marketing, companies as big as Coke and Maccas are falling over themselves for 30 seconds at halftime.
Population has little all to do with it considering the NFL competes with a hell of a lot more sport than the NRL does.

beave

Coach
I'm not knocking the idea, more so just telling it as I see it.

IMO numbers and names on the back of jerseys is for kids who want to 'be like their hero'. Let's face it, most kids are interested in the Hayne's, JT', Inglis's more than the actual team itself. They identify with certain players and look up to them (some people say 'role model' I don't buy that sh*t, they are 'heroes' to the kids, I want my kids to be inspired to go on to bigger and greater things than be able to tackle hard and pass well, but that's for a different argument) and out of admiration, think that wearing the parra number 1 will make them be one day be like Hayne.

But adults wear their jersey out of support for the club more so than the individual players who are out on the field, I don't see many adults walking around with numbers on their club jerseys or names/numbers on their origin jerseys (well not up here at least) because, well they have been around a lot longer than the individual players and have a love for the club that out lives any career length capable of todays players. As an adult, it's kinda weird wearing a jersey with someone else's name on it, who could be up to 20 years or more younger than you are.............

by all means if it makes people buy more jerseys, then go ahead and do the name and number thing, I really don't give a f**k. As long as they do an adult version that is void of any of that, I will buy that instead.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
Cannot agree totally. While most teams in SL97 had a player who chose 23, looking over player numbers I cannot see one player who played in #69, most players who chose number 1 was due to them playing fullback in previous seasons.

Most numbers from what I could see were between 1 and 50. Looking at soccer, it seems to work in most cases and number choices are fairly simple and straightforward. It's arguably the most popular sport in the world and merchandise with names and numbers like Rooney and Gerrard are popular the world over... it's not an idea completely without merit.

The only player I remember taking 23 in SL97 was Matthew Ridge... maybe Travis Norton did as well... or was it 45? I remember Solomon Haumono wearing number 50 or 55.

I kinda like the idea of peronalised jerseys/numbers for players. I know I'd love a Storm jersey with my surname and number 80 (year of birth) on it. I'm trying to get as many perosnalised jerseys as I can to add to my Arsenal one.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They change sponsorships, but the jersey design itself and the colours generally change very little from year to year.

Have to disagree with that. Man U have had three different designs between the last three seasons...

LESStar58

Referee
Raiders home:

154914_472260307615_190728797615_5846517_348239_n.jpg

Alt:

154914_472260317615_190728797615_5846519_7587866_n.jpg

Same as 2010, only a different sponsor logo and a commemorative 30 Years Raiders badge.

Not a fan of the away strip at all but I reckon the home strip is the best in the NRL. Still a relatively "young" club at 30 years old but still have enough tradition to hold on to in their jersey. The 2000-02 one was horrid but they haven't gone wrong since. They need to get the old school 1994 Milk away jersey back.

Latest posts