What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Nuke

Staff member
ESL system of numbering is based on order of selection for that season. The first round of the year, a team is chosen (1 = fullback, 2 & 5 = wingers, 14-17 = interchange, ect). If, say, a 2nd-rower gets injured and can't play the next weekend, someone else will come into the team. He will be numbered 18. He keeps that 18 jersey all season, as will the injured 2nd-rower keep his 11 or 12 jersey all season. The more players that come into the team throughout the year, the higher the numbers go, but they keep them until the season has ended.

It's not like Rugby League has a long history of 1-13 numbered jerseys. I think up until the 50's it was free for all (perhaps RL1908 could expand on that). I could of sworn I have seen match day cards where it looks as though each team had a stack of jerseys numbered 1 to wherever, and the players have picked which ever number they wish to be associated with.
I'm pretty sure League has always had the 1-13 numbering system, only slightly different. I don't know when it happened (1970's perhaps?), but it used to be 1-7 as they are now, but 13 & 11 were props, 12 hooker, 10 & 9 second-rowers, 8 lock.
Interchange used to start at 27 I think, as the Reserve-Grade numbers were 14-26 and both Firsts and Ressies were named as a squad instead of two individual teams.

For what it's worth, I'm happier with the current numbering system. If we had to change, I'd prefer to go the way of the ESL system.

applesauce

Bench
I can't believe this topic is back around again.

My view has always been that it helps simplify the game and allow a "new" or "novice" fan to understand the roles and styles of play that occur in RL without having to know who the players are and their actual position. If we are trying to grow our game in new territory I think this is an advantage.

If I watch the AFL GF or anything I don't know who should be where or what they normally do due to the lack of numbers of thier backs, combined with my limited knowledge of the sport.

NFL for a noob is different as the game, positionally, is more structured and easy to follow without the numbers once you understand how the plays work.

Plus one day, the rest of the sporting world whore their jerseys for more $$ (like we do with sponsorship) via numbers why not keep this tradition as it will soon be truly unique and historical unlike the "retiring of numbers" etc that will happen in EVERY sport soon.

axl rose

Bench
I disagree, I think they needed to make it look more like the 1992 jersey than what they did. A closer copy to this would have looked a heap better.................

09_broncospowerretro.jpg

Thats thier best ever. Really need to go back to that logo as well.

Shorty

Staff member

My view has always been that it helps simplify the game and allow a "new" or "novice" fan to understand the roles and styles of play that occur in RL without having to know who the players are and their actual position. If we are trying to grow our game in new territory I think this is an advantage.
Couldn't agree more.
I wonder if the people that strongly oppose this sort of thing are the ones that whinge about Gallop and the state of our game...because this is a way to increase popularity and revenue.

BunniesMan

Immortal
the personalised numbers thing didnt work back in 97 why would it work now? plus
It was 1997, superleague, not much of anything worked.
the players all just chose their normal numbers with the exception of those like ridge or the unlucky ones who came late to a club like haumono
If most players kept their positional number, that's fine. But that's not reason enough to not allow the freedom.
in terms of marketing it actually doesnt make sense - you manufacture 5000 jerseies of player X who goes down with a season ending injury in round one or get s busted for some off field incident and there's 5000 jersies wasted.

you want to buy a raiders jersey but all they have is mona's name and number on it....
You'd have few personalised jerseys in store. The majority who would want would go online, where they have the ability to choose any player's jersey.

Retailers would probably stock only a few numbered/named jerseys with the most being numberless.

I would say that most supporters who wanted a numbered/named jersey would order it online through their clubs websites - as is done with the EPL. Probably would help the clubs make a few extra bucks too.
This.

My view has always been that it helps simplify the game and allow a "new" or "novice" fan to understand the roles and styles of play that occur in RL without having to know who the players are and their actual position.If we are trying to grow our game in new territory I think this is an advantage.
Every other sport worldwide has personalised numbers, hasn't stopped them from getting fans. Are NRL fans and potential NRL fans stupider than others? No.

Besides, the positions themselves are outdated, there's countless examples of how positions and roles have morphed into each other or changed from what they always were. If anything, it confuses potential fans.

Doug2234

First Grade
On another note, I believe we'll likely see the Dragons' Charity Shield strip released tomorrow, the launch press conference is taking place at ANZ Stadium with both teams. The rumour (as I think has been mentioned in this thread before) is a white vee on a red jersey. We shall see.

Timmy any info on this??

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Can someone refresh my memory..

What was POWERS???

a Beer

a lot of players go through their career once becoming first graders with the same number, i dont see how hard it is to see a storm jersey with 1 on it and not think slater, I imagine Inglis will have the same number atsouths that he had at melb, the marquee players will always stand out. you see a tigers jersey with 9 on it you arent thinking john morris...

LeagueNut

First Grade
ESL system of numbering is based on order of selection for that season. The first round of the year, a team is chosen (1 = fullback, 2 & 5 = wingers, 14-17 = interchange, ect). If, say, a 2nd-rower gets injured and can't play the next weekend, someone else will come into the team. He will be numbered 18. He keeps that 18 jersey all season, as will the injured 2nd-rower keep his 11 or 12 jersey all season. The more players that come into the team throughout the year, the higher the numbers go, but they keep them until the season has ended.
This seems like a good system - I guess the downside is squads will rarely name a full-strength line up for Round 1.

Whaddya reckon folks, would this work in the NRL?

I'm pretty sure League has always had the 1-13 numbering system, only slightly different. I don't know when it happened (1970's perhaps?), but it used to be 1-7 as they are now, but 13 & 11 were props, 12 hooker, 10 & 9 second-rowers, 8 lock.
Interchange used to start at 27 I think, as the Reserve-Grade numbers were 14-26 and both Firsts and Ressies were named as a squad instead of two individual teams.

For what it's worth, I'm happier with the current numbering system. If we had to change, I'd prefer to go the way of the ESL system.

I'm pretty certain we haven't always had 1-13. I know it changed in the 70's or 80's to the Graded numbering system you are talking about (1-13 1st Grade, 14-27 Reserve Grade, 28-41 Presidents Cup, 42+ bench players in each grade), then in the late 80's the forward's numbers swapped around (8 went from lock to prop, etc). I'm just not sure when the change over from personal numbers to positional numbers was.

applesauce

Bench
Every other sport worldwide has personalised numbers, hasn't stopped them from getting fans. Are NRL fans and potential NRL fans stupider than others? No.

Besides, the positions themselves are outdated, there's countless examples of how positions and roles have morphed into each other or changed from what they always were. If anything, it confuses potential fans.

You don't get it do you...

RL is players are spread across a field not along. Compare that to soccer, hockey, basketball etc. You can know a position by the players place on the field (90% of the time).

In RL a winger can come in on the first tackle and take a scoot, this does not mean he is a hooker to the untrained eye who might think the guy who picks the ball up is the dummy half. You could almost use that kind of example with any position in RL depending on the time of the game, the tackle count and the teams style of play.

I shouldn't need to explain soccer or hockey (basically the same kind of layout along the field).

Basketball has a PG who has the ball at the start of a possession, G's along the perimeter, and PF/C in the paint. Simple to grasp with 5 players on a court/team.

The NFL can make it work because the game is easy to grasp as the roles of individuals are simple (but as a team are complicated) plus you have the benefit of stoppage rather than rolling play with set positions each play.

AFL is the 1 exception when it comes to positions along the field as the game is a sh*tfight for the ball anyway it is hard to follow with or without numbers.

RL you can have a 2nd rower in the centres, a Fullback or Lock playing 1st receiver, 2nd rowers up front, 6 and 7 switching between scrums/receiving etc.

Ladmate

Bench
It's easy to grasp what each position does. It didn't take long for me. What took a while was tactics, schemes and execution.