What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Doug2234

First Grade
Agree. Bunniesman is by far one of the more accomplished trolls i have seen on this forum...

Well played sir

hellteam

First Grade
No. Our colours, along with the Dragons red v and Easts "tri colours" are the most iconic colours in rugby league. The cowboys design is ok now, but the colours are just bland, no market on the planet would choose those colours to advertise a brand.

You're right. There's dozens of international companies who have chosen red and green as their colours...:roll:

As a neutral I have to agree that the Cowgirls jerseys have been bland since their first one from 1995 which I used to own. What dick at the club cannot understand that the first one probably has been their most popular one ever??? Fecking clueless club marketing men.

Mike_Jets

Juniors
Hmmn, Castrol?
Probably not used much as its perceived as Christmas colours and because of the nautical warning???:sarcasm:

beave

Coach
No. Our colours, along with the Dragons red v and Easts "tri colours" are the most iconic colours in rugby league. The cowboys design is ok now, but the colours are just bland, no market on the planet would choose those colours to advertise a brand.

How am i? Am I not allowed to have an opinion? A club's colours are supposed to identify their team. When you think Souths you think red/green, Dragons its the big red V, Easts its the tri colours, Bulldogs is blue/white, Melbourne is their unique purple, Knights is blue and red, Raiders is their green.

Those teams have done a good job with their colours. A few clubs have not, among those are the Cowboys, Panthers and Warriors. When you think of those teams you have to think hard to even remember what they look like. And when you see them on tv you need to glance at the score in the corner to see who is playing. Those teams have done a poor job choosing and establishing marketable colours as their brand.

I'm not a troll. I just happen to be loud and proud with my opinions. My opinions, whether they are popular or not, are legitimately mine and are not designed just to annoy. Which is what trolls do. If mine do annoy sometimes, that's just a coincedence and not my problem.

The cowboys original colours were navy,white and grey with yellow used as highlights. Such as this jersey (that I still to this day, f**king love to bits)

north-queensland-cowboys-home-rugby-shirt-1995-s_627_1.jpg

Now I am the first to admit that over the few years following our original jersey, we've lost our way but this year we finally are heading back in the direction that the club first intended with the jersey design being simpler and color portioning within the jersey.

The colours were picked by the public back in 1993 in a vote, Royal blue is the traditional NQ rep team color such as this,

09_cowb_htage_jers_380.jpg

but the blue is too similar to the doggies blue and to a lesser extent Newtown (well more so in jersey design with the jets, but Newtown aren't competing anymore in the top flight) so whilst the blue is slightly different to our traditional NQ blue, its about as best as we could get without treading on the doggies toes. The grey and white IMO go well combined with it, I always think of cowboys when I see those 3 colours together, probably due to Dallas I suppose, but IMO they 3 go excellent together.

The Townsville Foley shield teams colours have been yellow and blue for as long as I can remember, so the use of yellow comes from there but as you can see above, it was used sparingly in the 1995 design and only as a highlight color (i suppose not to clash too much with the eels) but over the years the yellow slowly became one of the main colours. The new jersey uses minimal yellow again, and none of the merchandise for this year uses any yellow at all.

what colours would you recommend a NQ team wear??? You are quick to criticise the choice the club made, so what would you have done with your extensive knowledge of NQ footballing history??

Mike_Jets

Juniors
Also just thought red and green are not used in logos as a large % of people are colour blind between these colours so would just appear as the same.
That is why soccer teams, in the uk at least, have to play in the away jersey for some games even though you wouldnt think the colours clash.

BunniesMan

Immortal
north-queensland-cowboys-home-rugby-shirt-1995-s_627_1.jpg

09_cowb_htage_jers_380.jpg

what colours would you recommend a NQ team wear??? You are quick to criticise the choice the club made, so what would you have done with your extensive knowledge of NQ footballing history??
I like both of those jerseys much more than the current one and either would do well.

The first jersey, even if it has similar colours, the design is much kinder to the colours and let's them contrast well instead of turning into a bland wash. And it's the kind of unique look that would allow fans to strongly associate it with the Cowboys brand.

And I like the second jersey too. As for the Bulldogs issue, that's why we have alternate/away jerseys. It would be great for every game other than when you play away against Canterbury.
Think of Castrol yourself did you?
To be honest I had a quick google search to find a brand that uses red and green. I knew there was some but I couldn't think of the name, and thanks to my mate google I found what I was thinking of, castrol.

skeepe

Immortal
To be perfectly honest, the new Cowboys jersey looks more like a training shirt. I just don't like it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
beave - you'll find the rule is 3 years on main, 2 years on alternate. Should be able to change away next season.

Timmah

Staff member
EnergyAustralia Sponsorship

25/01/2011 5:22:36 P

The Coal & Allied Newcastle Knights have today announced their sponsorship with Stadium Naming Rights partner EnergyAustralia will not extend past the current contract when it expires at the end of the 2011 season.

Both parties have confirmed the relationship has been mutually beneficial throughout its 10 year term.

“We have enjoyed a long and successful relationship with the Newcastle Knights dating back to 1991, the last 10 years as naming rights sponsors of EnergyAustralia Stadium,” said EnergyAustralia Managing Director George Maltabarow.

“All existing sponsorship commitments remain in place until the end of 2011, including the stadium, so we will continue to actively support the club over the remaining term of the current agreement.

“Recent arbitration on stadium management rights has changed the sponsorship rights that the Newcastle Knights can offer post 2011. This is one of the major factors that influenced our decision.”

The Newcastle Knights has confirmed the relationship continues to be amicable and very positive.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20309

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I think you'll see Kumho Tyres announced as the new Saints shorts partner in the not too distant future. They've recently been promoted to fourth (from second last) on the list of sponsors on the bottom of the club website and were also seen on the advertising board that sat behind the players and staff at the Charity Shield press conference.

Timmah

Staff member
Good to hear. I recall reading somewhere that IGT had dropped themselves off the shorts.

Latest posts