What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Ladder Predictions

1. Tigers
2. Dragons
3. Roosters
4. Raiders
5. Bulldogs
6. Storm
7. Warriors
8. Titans

9. Rabbitohs
10. Eels
11. Broncos
12. Sea Eagles
13. Panthers
14. Knights
15. Sharks
16. Cowboys

Liddell

Juniors
Penrith being picked by some people for 14th and 15th just goes to show that people believe most of what the media tells them. If you listened to Brad Fittler gibber on last year he'd always mention 'Franky Pritchard' as our key man, he's gone now, and this forum plus most of the gibbering media ad nauseum go on about us being able to only to score off kicks and how we were found out in the finals, never mind the fact Civ, House, Lewis, Frank P and Jennings all missed significant amounts of those games.

It's obviously quite possible we could drop a few places, and the signings don't look spectacular. But 14th or 15th? it's like people have just forgotten about Penrith and then had to fit them in the ladder somewhere. I get the feeling it's because we don't have a big fan base and most people would prefer to see a more 'popular' club like Soufffs or the Dogs be successful than us. You'd think Soufffs were the most important club on this site judging by all the talk in the off season that Bunniesboy started.

Try not being so touchy about it. Maybe some people just think you over achieved in 2010 and will fall back this year. You flew under the radar all year and before anyone noticed you had cemented a spot in the 8. Thats my take on it anyway.

Anyway its clear none of us are experts and wouldn't surprise me if most of my bottom 8 made the semi's going by what we have seen in the last few years.

adamkungl

Immortal
Panthers just look very Roosters 08-09 for me.
I can't see the same kick heavy style of attack being as effective, and I don't think they have improved their roster. Don't rate Walsh, despite leading try assists last year. And Matt Elliot is a dud.
That said, they have a lot of class in Coote, Jennings, Civoneceva, etc.

timka4

Bench
Don't rate Walsh, despite leading try assists last year. And Matt Elliot is a dud.
Same here, anyone can punt a ball into the air and hope for the best.

Penrith are a great side, they just had the wrong game plan for the finals. Like said, they have plenty of class around the board.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
1. Dragons
2. Warriors
3. Roosters
4. Tigers
5. Knights
6. Bulldogs
7. Raiders
8. Titans

pantherz9103

First Grade
Try not being so touchy about it. Maybe some people just think you over achieved in 2010 and will fall back this year. You flew under the radar all year and before anyone noticed you had cemented a spot in the 8. Thats my take on it anyway.

Anyway its clear none of us are experts and wouldn't surprise me if most of my bottom 8 made the semi's going by what we have seen in the last few years.

I just can't see us dropping down as far as some people do. I think alot of people look at the signings that some of last season's lesser lights have made and assume a big improvement, but the likes of Cowboys, Sharks etc are still a way off the Panthers, even if their squads have improved and ours seemingly hasn't.

Anyway, usually Penrith under Elliot start the season well and fade at the back end. In 08 and 09 we faded very badly and missed the 8, but last season our fade didn't come until after we'd won 11 matches and were virtually safe in the 8. An easy last 3 games allowed us to claim 2nd in the minor, but with many injuries and the constant selection of Purtell, we lost the form and momentum needed to worry the best teams. Not over confident about another top 4 finish, but I'd like to think this season won't be a regression to the poor results of Elliot's first 3 years.

Nevan_

First Grade
Not many people have picked Melbourne. They may be cheating bastards, but they still have some good players.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I dare say they're everyone's dark horse. Still have Slater, Smith and Cronk, if the rookies develop around them they'll be dangerous again very quickly.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Panthers just look very Roosters 08-09 for me.
I can't see the same kick heavy style of attack being as effective, and I don't think they have improved their roster. Don't rate Walsh, despite leading try assists last year. And Matt Elliot is a dud.
That said, they have a lot of class in Coote, Jennings, Civoneceva, etc.
That's my feelings exactly.

We had an excellent season in 2008 but were found out badly towards the ends of the season and backed up with an awful campaign in 2009.

And whilst i dont expect the Panthers to be anywhere near as bad as we were i still worry immensely about their truly pitiful halves pairing. Not to mention Elliot.

Dont get me wrong, their is alot of talent. With the likes of Coote, Jennings, Gordon and Lewis playing off the back of Civo, Grant, McKendry and Waterhouse they still have alot of potential.

But ultimately the Panthers halves are absolute poo and that's my fear for them. Much like the Eels.

goosie

Juniors
panthers and eels to have to much class and strength this season and toss of the coin who will win comp.

pantherz9103

First Grade
That's my feelings exactly.

We had an excellent season in 2008 but were found out badly towards the ends of the season and backed up with an awful campaign in 2009.

And whilst i dont expect the Panthers to be anywhere near as bad as we were i still worry immensely about their truly pitiful halves pairing. Not to mention Elliot.

Dont get me wrong, their is alot of talent. With the likes of Coote, Jennings, Gordon and Lewis playing off the back of Civo, Grant, McKendry and Waterhouse they still have alot of potential.

But ultimately the Panthers halves are absolute poo and that's my fear for them. Much like the Eels.

Funny thing is you say the halves are poo. Yet before Luke Walsh came in and our halves were worse. We once has Maurice Blair and Jarrod Sammutt playing halves. They were certainly poo I would agree there. Burns isn't a natural playmaker or much of a threat that's true, but Walsh was top in try assists last season, mostly through kicks. Still the tries he created all counted for 4 points, whose to say we still won't score alot of tries from kicks this season as well. We need to rely less on them and we were starting to score more through the hand towards the end of last season but the injuries hurt us in the finals. Our halves aren't great at all but I don't think they're the worst in the comp.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I agree they're not the worst in the comp. The Eels have a stranglehold on that mantle. But they are the second worst IMO.

Look it's quite likely that the Panthers could make a fool of me. In fact the more i think about them the more i like their team. Civo, Grant and Mckendry are perhaps the 2nd best prop rotation in the competition behind the Raiders. And Lewis is IMO the leagues best attacking lock forward. And the likes of Coote, Gordon and Jennings are some of the most dangerous backs in the comp.

But...Burns is awful. Id rather Steve Witt personally. And so Luke Walsh has an immense amount of pressure on his shoulders and personally i dont think he's up to it. But time will tell...

goosie

Juniors
my top 8 in random order:

dragons
eels
panthers
roosters
raiders
warriors
storm
tigers

Last edited:

to_ddeath

Coach
Only if they're caught cheating the cap.
Your mob will have little trouble reaching the bottom 3, especially if Hayne cops
an injury at any stage...

T.

Latest posts