What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NSW Cup

When I was living in Wollongong (a number of years ago now), SG Ball + Harold Matts played mostly at WIN, and occasionally at Dalton Park. I'm basing playing out of Dalton Park + Ron Costello Oval more off the fact that a number of Reserve Grade sides are not playing out of the parent clubs home ground. More so clubs like Canterbury who have their own Reserves side, but make them play out of The Crest.

I'm pretty sure that they were only playing at Ron Costello as it was Shellharbour's home ground...?

The Dogs play all their games at the Crest these days as Belmore just just used for training.

Guess in the end, it's not really doing any damage to the St George 1st grade side not having a NSW Cup side, but it would be good for the NSW to be as strong as possible with as many teams as possible.

That's right, Ron Costello Oval is Shellharbour Sharks/Marlins home ground. Just named it as a place since NSW Cup games have been held there.

I want to see us with a NSW Cup side, I think it's better to have those outside the top 17 playing together for one team (be it the Steelers, Marlins, etc) than farmed out around the Illawarra League.

Word out of the Red V Members forum with club management regarding NSW Cup is that we will not be having a stand alone team. We will either continue with the Illawarra League or look to do a partnership in the NSW Cup like Cronulla and Melbourne have this year.

Hmmm... why am I not surprised!!! Bet the NSWRL won't be happy as they're wanting a St George NSW Cup team.
I've heard that the Cronulla/Melbourne deal is only for this year and the Storm are looking to field a side in the NSW Cup once again?

I'd rather we field a NSW Cup side to. The problem we have is that the St George side of the merger would have to finance any Steelers side due to the financial issues at Steelers Leagues. With that said, Paul MacGregor is returning to the club :)() in a coaching capacity, so perhaps a partership with Wests Devils isn't out of the question.

LeagueInsider

Juniors
The Dragons will be in the NSW Cup next year, but not as a stand alone. Look for them to be an amalgamation with Wests Magpies

Roland

Juniors
Good. A West St George team will be much stronger than Wests Magpies. Adding Mounties means there will be 12. Then all that needs to happen is introduce a top 5 instead of having teams that lose 18 games in "finals"

Roland

Juniors
Yeah you are right. Remember Wests were going to put Canberra players in their side a few years ago but that got killed off.

I'm pretty confident we will still be in the Illawarra League, unless something drastic were to happen to Steelers Leagues financial position or Shellharbour / Wests Devils change their tune and decide to be our feeder club again.

Red Bear

Referee
When has rugby league been played at Dalton Park? AFL/cricket ground. Would've though if not using WIN then the No. 2 ground would be the best option, or even somewhere like Vikings or Uni Oval.

WOW!!! A Wests/St George joint venture...?? That's crazy if you ask me, but I guess if Wests with the backing of their two leagues clubs and lack of players going into Wests Tigers then I don't blame them for looking into something else.

That said, seems odd that St George don't fully or partially fund a Steelers team in the NSW Cup if the Steelers club is broke.

RL Tragic

Juniors
It would be great to see a side from St George Illawarra in as the standard of football this year has been very high as clubs take it more seriously...I cant wait to get to Henson Park this Saturday from 1pm to see the top 4 sides all play one another Auckland vs Cronulla and Canterbury vs Newtown. Henson Park is a real traditional Rugby League experience with great meat pies and a few cold KBs thrown in for good measure.

RL Tragic

Juniors
Semi Finals this week - Sat: Canterbury vs Balmain at Belmore 2pm, Newtown vs Wentworthville at Henson 3pm. Sun: Auckland vs Central Coast at Mt Smart 1pm and Cronulla vs North Sydney at Toyota 3pm. Canterbury are back at their traditional home ground on the Sat and The Sharks and Norths are the only top level League game in Sydney on the Sunday with NRL in Melbourne. Check the NSWRL Website for team lists as their are sure to be some top line players involved - Auckland the other week had a backline that included Lance Hohaia, Glen Fisiiahi, Lewis Brown, Krisnan Inu and Brett Seymour.

Looks like your man was right HPH RE: Illawarra, though it's not going to be the Steelers.

Illawarra RL media release: Three-Way Partnership For Illawarra In NSW Cup

by Rugby League Week on Thursday, 15 September 2011 at 10:49

The Illawarra Rugby League, Illawarra Steelers and Dragons announced on Wednesday a unique partnership with the formation and entry of an Illawarra team into the NSW Rugby League Cup competition for 2012.

The team will be known as “Illawarra” and (while a team logo has yet to be confirmed), it can be confirmed that the colours will be the District’s traditional “Scarlet and White”.

The Illawarra team will be looking to play their home matches at WIN Stadium and will be able to utilise contracted players from both the Dragons NRL squad and NYC Under 20’s team while also offering Illawarra Carlton League players the opportunity.

The Dragons have been looking to establish a long-term partnership to provide the highest quality of playing opportunities for their extended squad and believe it is now the time and place to support a regional Illawarra initiative.

“The Dragons have been keen to support the NSW Cup and its position in the infrastructure of rugby league in NSW South Wales,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

"The Illawarra region is a strong hold of rugby league and we believe this initiative is timely and appropriate."

Sean O'Connor, Chair of the Football Management Sub-Committee added:

"It is fitting that we are able to announce this partnership in the Illawarra Rugby League's Centenary year. To have the full endorsement of the joint venture partners in this initiative is further evidence of our shared vision.

"We will work closely with the Dragons to ensure an integrated pathway for talented footballers in the Illawarra."

The Illawarra team will be coached by former Australian New South Wales and Dragons centre Paul McGregor, who recently guided Wests Illawarra in the Carlton League to their third consecutive Premiership. McGregor will be assisted by former Dragons hooker Shane Millard.

"I am looking forward to the next challenge in my coaching career and to be able to do that with an Illawarra district team in the NSW Cup is fantastic,” said Head Coach Paul McGregor.

“I am excited about the opportunity and the role this squad will play in the development of players in the Illawarra”.
Furthermore, Dragons Junior Representative and High Performance Manager Neil Lovett will be in charge of the team’s administration while Steelers Deputy Chairman Sean O’Connor will chair the team’s Football Management Sub-Committee which will also include the Chairman of the Carlton League Ian Neill, Steelers Director Graeme Gulloch and representatives of the Dragons.

The Illawarra team will serve as the official Dragons “feeder club”, to enable the St George and Illawarra Harold Matthews and S.G. Ball teams to participate in their respective NSW Rugby League competitions in 2012 and beyond.

The key to the long-term success of the Illawarra team and brand are key sponsorship relationships and other key partnership opportunities, which will be developed as the partnership grows.

I would presume if they aren't using the Steelers name, then it is Illawarra Leagues who are putting in the money and not Steelers Leagues. They will probably take on their logo as well.

Latest posts