What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 World Cup squad

undertaker

Coach
Now that the summer of test matches is finally over and we won't be playing another test for at least 7 months, the focus is now towards the One-Dayers and the upcoming World Cup. Considering that the squad has to be 15 members, who would you select? My 15 man squad is as follows:

Ponting (C)
Clarke (VC)
Haddin (Wk)
Paine (back-up Wk)
White
Hussey
Ferguson
Watson
Smith
Lee
Tait
Johnson
Bollinger
O'Keefe
Hauritz

Out of that squad, my starting 11 would be:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting (C)
Clarke (VC)
White
Hussey
Smith
Johnson
Lee
Tait
Bollinger

Our first match is against Zimbabwe on February 21. All of our matches (including if we make the finals) will be Day/Nighters starting at 2:30pm Indian time (8pm AEDST, or 7:30pm AEDST if we play in one of the Q/Fs in Dhaka).

Last edited:

alenfort

Juniors
For World Cup Squad is

Watson
Warner
Ponting (C)
Clarke (VC)
Haddin (Wk)
White
Hussey
Ferguson
Smith
Lee
Tait
Johnson
Bollinger

chefman21

Juniors
Watson
Paine
Haddin
Clarke
Ponting
White
Hussey
Ferguson
Smith
O'Keefe
Johnson
Bollinger
Hastings
Harris
Copeland

beads6

First Grade
Watson
Haddin
Ponting(C)
Clarke (VC)
White
Hussey
Smith
O'Keefe
Lee
Johnson
Mckay

Bollinger
Ferguson
Marsh
Christian

Big Pete

Referee
Here's the squad in case anybody forgot...

Squad: Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Doug Bollinger, Dan Christian, Xavier Doherty, Callum Ferguson, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, John Hastings, Nathan Hauritz, Brad Hodge, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Steve O'Keefe, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

chefman21

Juniors
I think guys like Dave Hussey, Harris, Hauritz, Hodge, Hopes and Voges could/will be lucky to be picked. Age isn't on there side any more, and given the state of Australian cricket we might see them pick a group of core players and potentially core players. Hauritz, Hopes and Voges aren't so far ahead of the others anyway anymore to justify there selection. A team that still consists of the likes of Ponting, Clarke, Haddin, Hussey, White, Watson and Johnson can still win a World Cup. We will probably see Hussey, Hodge and Harris though.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lets face it Siddle will be 1st bowler picked

Really? I would have thought Ryan Harris would be. He's incredibly impressive at ODI. Doug Bollinger would be hard to ignore for sub continent as well - how dumb are your selectors?

If Hodge isn't getting picked for meaningless T20 games when he is one of the best T20 batsman in the world then I can't see him getting picked for the ODIs, even though he has scored about 6 domestic one day centuries in the last 12-18 months.

lol Mitchell Johnson will be good batting practice for opposition players in India.

Really? I would have thought Ryan Harris would be. He's incredibly impressive at ODI. Doug Bollinger would be hard to ignore for sub continent as well - how dumb are your selectors?

They're dumb but they're not a Harry Potter dictatorship.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
lol Mitchell Johnson will be good batting practice for opposition players in India.

They're dumb but they're not a Harry Potter dictatorship.

Lol. Daniel Vettori supports the Wright decision. Yeah right.

However, unlike Australia, its not like some mega talented kiwis are missing out on selection even when Vettori was a one man show.

You guys actually have a lot of ODI bowlers...

Bollinger and Harris are all class. Hopes offers some batting, as does Johnson. Lee and Tait are hard to look pass. Then there's your Siddle, McKay and co. Problem is - your team for balance needs Watson to be a main bowler at the cup for balance. I think Shaun Marsh is overrated - and to be honest - your top order looks fragile with Punter and Pup not scoring. You can't leave Hussey to score all the runs....

The worse thing for Aus is the cup is on sub continent and you are, to be honest, in the middle of a spinner crisis.

Its a headache - but at least there is a headache because you do have good seaming ODI options. But for mine - Harris and Bollinger have to be there or there abouts. And Ponting made it clear he wants Lee and Tait at his dispoal. Harris is a very useful player. He should quit tests before he risks ruining a future career at all.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Out of that squad, my starting 11 would be:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting (C)
Clarke (VC)
White
Hussey
Smith
Johnson
Lee
Tait
Bollinger

Our first match is against Zimbabwe on February 21. All of our matches (including if we make the finals) will be Day/Nighters starting at 2:30pm Indian time (8pm AEDST, or 7:30pm AEDST if we play in one of the Q/Fs in Dhaka).

Could you go into an ODI with an attack of Tait , Lee, Johnson, Bollinger. Theres definetly wicket takers there but theres alot of runs potentially leaked.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
1.Shane Watson
2. Brad Haddin
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Michael Hussey
6. Cameron White
7. Daniel Christian
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Brett Lee
10.Nathan Hauritz
11.Doug Bollinger

12. David Hussey
13. Steve Smith
14. Tim Paine
15. Peter Siddle

To be honest these last 7 ODIs may tell me a bit more as theres a bit of guesswork in there. Would have no problems playing D.Hussey as a number 7 bat and id also like to see john hastings in the squad somewhere possibly or at least see how he goes in the 7 odis

aussies1st

Staff member
Haddin
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
White
Hussey
Smith
Lee
McKay
Bollinger
Doherty

Christian
Hodge
Hastings
Johnson/Starc

OD is the worst of O'Keefe formats hence I didn't pick him.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Dan Christian has to be there, averages 41 at a strike rate of over 100 at one day domestic level, and is a handy bowling option aswell. He's the type of lower middle order hotter everyside needs

franklin2323

Immortal
Watson.
Haddin.
Ponting.
Clarke.
White.
Hussey.
Christian.
Hauritz.
Lee.
Doherty.
Tait.

With Smith.
Johnson.
Bollinger.
Marsh/Paine.

Given its the sub-continent give Lee & Tait a few overs to blast through the top order. Watson to follow then Christian's little cutters should go well over there. Then the spinners to get through 20 odd overs with Clarke & White to chime in if pace isn't doing the job

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
M.Hussey
Christian
Hauritz
Tait
Johnson

Paine
Doherty
McDonald (my bolter, and it is a conditions based selection)
Smith

Latest posts