What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Dally M Awards Thread - live FOX 8:30pm

Who will win the Dally M in 2012?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joker's Wild

Coach
Perhaps that's why they didn't show Croker's award - he's extremely well-spoken, particularly compared to the other guys they interviewed.

I assume you're talking about Barry Crocker here because saying that Michael Crocker is "extremely well spoken" is like suggesting Victoria Beckham is "extremely over-weight"

Springs

First Grade
Croker. Jarrod Croker. I hope you were just being sarcastic.

I agree with Timmah's thoughts, apart from Ben Barba or the Origin knock on for headline moment. The Souths game deserved it no more than the Roosters game in Round 1 I thought.

skeepe

Immortal
For some reason top tryscorer (Graham & Barba), and top pointscorer (Croker) never made it to air.

Feel sorry for Graham in particular who'd made the effort to be available for the live cross.

Or Croker who made the effort to travel to Sydney and attend the awards.

aqua_duck

Coach
So Kasiano wins an award and has become the most hated man in Rugby League?

I don't think he is the prop of the year. His impact is far greater than those 90 odd meters though. I don't think there is a prop in the game who has had as much involvement with try scoring plays as the big fella.

Using one stat to define a player is simply stupid

You've just said it yourself that he's not prop of the year. I know stats are not be all and end all but metres gained stats are the bread and butter for most props, abit like try assists for a halfback. To me it's the most mind boggling selection of the entire awards because as some have said, he's not even the best prop at the dogs

God-King Dean

Immortal
Uate better than B Morris? lol..... I see defence isn't in the criteria for WOTY.

You could argue that B Moz played fullback half the year, but then you'd have to ask how Myles won his award.

Doga

Juniors
You've just said it yourself that he's not prop of the year. I know stats are not be all and end all but metres gained stats are the bread and butter for most props, abit like try assists for a halfback. To me it's the most mind boggling selection of the entire awards because as some have said, he's not even the best prop at the dogs

My point is around the feeling that LU users are going to run their stock standard hate campaign against him due to the fact he won an award.

Sure he didn't do the bread & butter meters gained stuff as well as some but he added some Ham, Cheese & Tomato that the other props couldn't dream of adding.

So yes, whilst his meters gained was not up there. He makes up for it in a lot of other ways.

As for Kasiano not being Canterbury's best prop. That is very debatable - I don't agree with what was said by other Bulldog Supporters, some wouldn't know their ear hole from their arse hole. Just watch the impact on the team having Kasiano on the field & then off. It is no coincidence that Barba & Pritchard & Morris etc shine most when DogZilla is on the field.

Long story short. I don't think he should have won prop of the year. But he wasn't that far off it.

dogslife

Coach
My point is around the feeling that LU users are going to run their stock standard hate campaign against him due to the fact he won an award.

Sure he didn't do the bread & butter meters gained stuff as well as some but he added some Ham, Cheese & Tomato that the other props couldn't dream of adding.

So yes, whilst his meters gained was not up there. He makes up for it in a lot of other ways.

As for Kasiano not being Canterbury's best prop. That is very debatable - I don't agree with what was said by other Bulldog Supporters, some wouldn't know their ear hole from their arse hole. Just watch the impact on the team having Kasiano on the field & then off. It is no coincidence that Barba & Pritchard & Morris etc shine most when DogZilla is on the field.

Long story short. I don't think he should have won prop of the year. But he wasn't that far off it.
Weren't you part of the brigade earlier in the year calling for Michael Ennis to be dropped in place of Joel Romelo or Josh Reynolds? Good call champ!

Just ftr Graham>Kasiano easily

aqua_duck

Coach

Canterbury didn't miss a beat when he was injured and they got carved up by the tigers up the middle his first game back. To me forwards will always be judged on their bread and butter work, its why a guy like Nate Myles is so highly rated. Compared Myles to someone like Feleti Mateo, Mateo sets up way more tries and line breaks and has more skill but Myles is still an all round more consistent footballer

ek999

First Grade
Canterbury didn't miss a beat when he was injured and they got carved up by the tigers up the middle his first game back. To me forwards will always be judged on their bread and butter work, its why a guy like Nate Myles is so highly rated. Compared Myles to someone like Feleti Mateo, Mateo sets up way more tries and line breaks and has more skill but Myles is still an all round more consistent footballer

Yes they did. Although they kept winning matches their attack was no where near as good as when he is on the field and relied a lot more on individual brilliance. A man of his size is always going to struggle when they come back from an injury because it's a lot harder to maintain match fitness. I don't think he should have got prop of the year but he shouldn't be getting criticised like he has by some

RWB

Bench
- Nate Myles winning was puzzling.

- Glenn Stewart was nominated as lock because he played as lock. I think you answered your own question.

- Journalists.

4... there's already a Dally M thread ;-)

Glenn Stewart doesn't play as a lock and I definitely didn't answer my own question. As I said he plays on the right fringe as a second rower, how do people not know this are you that simplistic that you need numbers to tell you what position a player is playing in?

RWB

Bench
1. Although he started at prop most matches, he played a lot of minutes wider out as a second rower so I don't think it was that bad a choice.

2. Glenn Stewart is a lock. Should Paul Gallen not get nominated when he plays a lot of the time like a front rower?

3. From NRL.com: The 2012 Dally M Medal judges were Laurie Daley, Greg Alexander and Gary Belcher (Fox Sports), Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Wally Lewis (Channel 9), Daryl Halligan (Sky NZ) and Dean Ritchie, Josh Massoud, Andrew Webster, Nick Walshaw, Paul Crawley, Christian Nicolussi and Barry Toohey (The Daily Telegraph)

4. There could be plenty of debate over several positions. For prop of the year, plenty have said Tamou was robbed, plenty have said Woods was robbed, others have said Graham was robbed. Same goes for Winger, Centre, Second Row

5. The biggest stuff up is that Peter Wallace and Mitchell Pearce were in the top 10

No Glenn Stewart is not a lock, again he plays on the right as a second rower. Ironically Paul Gallen has played on the left as a second rower this year for the majority of this season, again though if he's wearing the 13 and the media are saying 'he plays like a prop' he must be at lock.

When will people stop being so ignorant and start forming their own opinions based on what they see, do you even watch the games?

ek999

First Grade
No Glenn Stewart is not a lock, again he plays on the right as a second rower. Ironically Paul Gallen has played on the left as a second rower this year for the majority of this season, again though if he's wearing the 13 and the media are saying 'he plays like a prop' he must be at lock.

When will people stop being so ignorant and start forming their own opinions based on what they see, do you even watch the games?

Define what a lock should do then. Every team's lock is different. Gallen plays differently to Stewart who plays differently to Eastwood who plays differently to Parker who plays differntly to Heighnington. Every team requires different things from the players in their respective positions. Keating plays a different role at halfback to Cooper Cronk. Thurston plays differently at 5/8 to John Sutton.

Paul Gallen makes more hitups per match then the Sharks starting front rowers combined. He makes more metres off his runs then the Sharks front rowers, the Sharks only play with one true front rower on the bench. The total minutes played by those three is less than 160 minutes combined each week, meaning someone else has to be doing the work of a prop. Do you even watch the matches or do you want to disagree with everyone else for the sake of it?

RWB

Bench
Define what a lock should do then. Every team's lock is different. Gallen plays differently to Stewart who plays differently to Eastwood who plays differently to Parker who plays differntly to Heighnington. Every team requires different things from the players in their respective positions. Keating plays a different role at halfback to Cooper Cronk. Thurston plays differently at 5/8 to John Sutton.

Paul Gallen makes more hitups per match then the Sharks starting front rowers combined. He makes more metres off his runs then the Sharks front rowers, the Sharks only play with one true front rower on the bench. The total minutes played by those three is less than 160 minutes combined each week, meaning someone else has to be doing the work of a prop. Do you even watch the matches or do you want to disagree with everyone else for the sake of it?

Gallen playing as a prop shouldn't make him eligible for lock of the year, I know he fills in at prop I never said otherwise. What I did say was that he plays as a second rower for the majority of the time, I'm sure any Sharks fan will back me up here he attacks down the left hand fringe as a second rower and defends 4 in on the left hand fringe as the second rower. Jeremy Smith defends in the middle of the field as a lock and attacks down the middle of the field as a lock. The confusing part for you seems to be the numbers on their backs. Sharkies fans, anyone?

Again I'll appeal to Manly fans who watch their games Glenn Stewart attacks on the fright fringe playing inside of Jamie Lyon (Centre). It couldn't be any more obvious by their structure that he's a second rower. Anthony Watmough attacks down the middle third of the field.

Forget roles, I'm talking about positions.

ek999

First Grade
Define what a lock's position is then. Whatever definition you come up with you will not find a player on each team that positions thenselves the same as your definition in both attack and defence. Teams don't use in traditional positions anymore. A 5/8 traditionally is the second receiver, however now most teams play one half on the left, one half on the right. How can you say who the best 5/8 is if one plays as a first receiver on one half of the field while another 5/8 plays as a second receiver on both sides of the field.