What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Dally M Awards Thread - live FOX 8:30pm

Who will win the Dally M in 2012?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chunk

Juniors
Not sure if it has been mentioned but intodays Tele, it had Woods polling 16 points and Kasiano polling 15.

Unless my eyes are failing me, doesn't his mean that Woods should have got prop of the year.

Or is it a typo?

Danish

Referee
If I recall correctly Ennis won hooker of the year in 2009 despite Farah polling in the top 5 overall, so its not exactly new territory to have the Dally Ms give out positional awards that are at odds with their own bloody voting system

ouwet

Bench
If there was a Dally M award for 'biggest whingers', the Tiger's club and it's supporters would win hands down!!

BDR

First Grade
There is a panel of judges for the positional awards, I think only the medal winner is assured of a spot in the team of the year.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If there was a Dally M award for 'biggest whingers', the Tiger's club and it's supporters would win hands down!!
Given our coach, pea hearted Moltzen and softcock Blair, don't you think we've got good justification to whinge?

RWB

Bench
Define what a lock's position is then. Whatever definition you come up with you will not find a player on each team that positions thenselves the same as your definition in both attack and defence. Teams don't use in traditional positions anymore. A 5/8 traditionally is the second receiver, however now most teams play one half on the left, one half on the right. How can you say who the best 5/8 is if one plays as a first receiver on one half of the field while another 5/8 plays as a second receiver on both sides of the field.

A lock plays in the middle third of the field, he defends and attacks there. It's why the position draws so many role comparisons to that of a front rower because they both defend and attack in the middle third of the field.

A second rower plays on the fringes, they defend 4 in and attack 3 in. For example;

Manly's defence would be;

Stewart - DCE - Lyon - Wiliams

Manly's attack would be;

Stewart - Lyon - Williams

Roles are irrevealnt and we're not arguing halves, there's still a clear difference between the second row and the lock, one plays in the middle of the field and the other on the fringes. So much so that clubs are starting to refer to the lock position as a middle third player (along with the two frontrowers) and thus no longer even use the terminology of 'backrow'.

What else would you like to learn about Rugby League today?

Kasianos team mates helped him over the line.
Woods' team mate stood & watched him.

This.

If Woods played for us he would have won it, Kasiano isn't even the best prop in our squad let alone the NRL(Graham is). Don't get me wrong Kasiano has been invaluable this season but Graham has stepped up in every big game this season and did the hard yards for our backs.

Didgi

Not sure if it has been mentioned but intodays Tele, it had Woods polling 16 points and Kasiano polling 15.

Unless my eyes are failing me, doesn't his mean that Woods should have got prop of the year.

Or is it a typo?

I'm sure we go over this every year.

The top three in the Dally M standings are guaranteed their positional award (unless claimed by someone higher) - hence Barba and Cronk received their positionals automatically (Bowen couldn't, obviously, so it went to the 4th player, Thurston). Every other award is based on a different voting system (a panel decides at the end of the season).

There are half a dozen + props better than Kasiano, a couple better than Woods too.

Kasiano has been great this year but I don't think he has been the best prop in the NRL, he's not even the best prop in our team.

Side note: Isn't Glenn Stewart second row ? He is always out wide on the right with Jamie Lyon.

gronkathon

First Grade
Graham is the prop version of Ellis. Gets in, gets the hard grunt work done and has a motor as big as anything Detroit has ever produced and largely goes without recognition in terms of awards etc

Graham is the prop version of Ellis. Gets in, gets the hard grunt work done and has a motor as big as anything Detroit has ever produced and largely goes without recognition in terms of awards etc

Graham also has better ball skills than a large chunk of the halves in the NRL, he can pass before the line, in the line and after the line.

ek999

First Grade
What would you call a player that attacks down one side of the field 3 in but defends in the middle of the field. Or the other way around.

Danish

Referee
I'm sure we go over this every year.

The top three in the Dally M standings are guaranteed their positional award (unless claimed by someone higher) - hence Barba and Cronk received their positionals automatically (Bowen couldn't, obviously, so it went to the 4th player, Thurston). Every other award is based on a different voting system (a panel decides at the end of the season).

There are half a dozen + props better than Kasiano, a couple better than Woods too.

We sure do, and as yet no one has been able to come up with a logical reason why it is done this way.

Best I can tell they do it this way so the New Ltd idiots who run the award can give the gongs to their favourites instead of using the most objective system available to them (how many points each person polled)

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
News Ltd prop of the year.

News Ltd Coach of the year.

News Ltd player of the year.

All deserving of awards the winners, but its highly a proprietary award. The RLPA awards are far more worthy of recognition, but a media company doesn't run them.

It is essentially the News Ltd Medal. Its not THE medal.

Latest posts