What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Gains and Losses and possible squad

Mattc

Juniors
Ah Mau certainly has some size about him.
Hopefully that translates to some impact off the bench.
I always felt that this year we would lise something when our starting props went off.
Merrin did ok, but Green and prior did not have the punch through the line that we needed.
Guys like Ah Mau and Miller hopefully will provide this.

Minh

First Grade
Definately need more punch from the forwards, was a real fan of Prior and still am but he needs to harden up to keep his spot in the team.

Minh

First Grade
Is it just me or does anybodyelse think that Wayne Bennetts sweeping attack plays are a bit out dated it was also his pet play at the Broncos with Karmichael Hunt.

Mattc

Juniors
It still works, but we need variety.
early in the year, Hornby was just as likely to hit Creagh or Cooper running into a hole as
Boyd out the back.
For some reason, at the end of the year, it was same old same old.
In the Melbourne game, we had Creagh hit Boyd with Cooper running the decoy.
It worked.
We need to have variations on the play to keep defences guessing

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
Yeh more variety would make it more effective, I just don't know why we still insist on using Ben Creagh as a battering ram close to the line off that short Hornby pass much like Hoffman used to do for the Storm, the holes are just not there for him to run into I see so many of our errors come off this play too, I haven't seen a try from this play for a while now.

Minh

First Grade
King or Rein to be our regular hooker next year?

I'm pretty sure King was a big part of Bennett's plan for 2011 prior to injury so I have to say King.

Mattc

Juniors
Room for both in the top 17.
Scott and Creagh give us long minutes, so i think we can carry two dummy halves.
Allows us to always play an up tempo style game through the middle, which should give us room on the edges.

Fingerbang

Bench
New recruit Jeremy Latimore playing prop for Vulcans in NSW Cup grand final on Sunday. Good chance to see what he's got.

The Latimore signing also has a Bennett feel about it - 2005 Junior Kangaroos, <$200k, plenty of NRL experience.

Price has learned well from the master.....

to_ddeath

Coach
King & Rein to rotate at DH, with Fein watching from Steelers Club after a hard day in the NSW Cup....

T.

st.phil

Bench
King & Rein to rotate at DH, with Fein watching from Steelers Club after a hard day in the NSW Cup....

T.

Hard decision - but I would love to see an 80 minute hooker developed ala cam smith / farah. Enables more options for the bench and, assuming he has the goods, creates more continuity to the attack. I think King is more likely to fill this role than Rein. We also have a number of players who can pull a relieving stint at dummy half if needs be.

RedVDave

First Grade
Haha, well yes. As a player of course. I just don't feel he adds anything to us. We locked him up too early. Not sure he'll get any further extensions. I think cuthbo's performances vindicate my thoughts on prior.

Anyway, we'll see what mr.price wants to do

I agree with you but only to an extent when Prior first debuted with us in 2008, I stated that I did no rate him, however Bennett got the best out him in 2009-2010 he proved his versatility by playing centre, prop, second row and lock and played them all well, however his form did dip IMO this year, give him a chance next year he could bounce back every player goes through a bad patch and if does not aim up the Vea, Miller, Ah Mau, Matthews, De Belin etc. Will all put their hand up to take his spot.

It's funny this time last year I suggesed we sign Cuthbo I knew he had something to offer and now he is (or will be) on double the money at Newcastle, I think Prior has something to offer and will deliever but like I said if he does not there are plenty of young kids who will glady take his spot.

ghostface

Juniors
Nice pickup. Slipped out of favour at the warriors after being a regular for a while there

He is a fair pick up and IMO is better then a few of our current bench options. He had a solid debut for parra against the bunnies but he never kicked on at the warriors. Im more interested to see how Will Matthews plays...

Minh

First Grade
I guess it's King by unanimous decision and yes I would like to see us play an 80 minute hooker and have a proper utility who can fill in many positions not just hooker, maybe Vidot or Chase Stanley.

If we play just one hooker where does this leave Rein, wouldn't he be too small to play in the second row or lock and probably not quick enough to play half or 5/8 or in the backs, would hate to lose the guy seems a very handy player.

Minh

First Grade
I'd like to see Matt Srama play hooker for the Dragons. That kid is a proven talent in first grade!

That'll mean losing Rein or King or even both, I think our youngsters will prove to be very good first graders we should work with them they're more than good enough, they both look classy.

Latest posts