What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Gains and Losses and possible squad

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'd like to see more of Marketo. Counting against him is thne fact he's not a traditonal bench player and he won't get a look in at lock until Young is out, but I really like him as a player.

Minh

First Grade
When are we going to see the next young superstar come through our junior ranks, will it be Kyle Stanley, will it be Cameron King, I would love to see a career one club champion along the lines of Lockyer, Lamb, Buderus, Johns, out and out superstars that are cosidered the best or close to the best in the world, these type of players win premierships. One that came close to those guys just retired his name is Mark Gasnier.

KiamaSaint

Coach
When are we going to see the next young superstar come through our junior ranks, will it be Kyle Stanley, will it be Cameron King, I would love to see a career one club champion along the lines of Lockyer, Lamb, Buderus, Johns, out and out superstars that are cosidered the best or close to the best in the world, these type of players win premierships. One that came close to those guys just retired his name is Mark Gasnier.

Which Lamb are you talking about? Adrian? Terry?

Terry Lamb played at two clubs - Magpies & Bulldogs and I still refuse to concede he was a champion. He will always be a grub in my mind.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Terry Lamb was another bought not bred by Canterbury. Recall his grubby hit on Hanley and his innovative coaching techniques at Tigers. (Hoppa).

Minh

First Grade
Which Lamb are you talking about? Adrian? Terry?

Terry Lamb played at two clubs - Magpies & Bulldogs and I still refuse to concede he was a champion. He will always be a grub in my mind.

Terry of course fair enough he wasn't a junior, but he was the type of club champion that won the big games for his club, he was never the best in the world but he played in an era of many great 5/8's Lewis, Fittler, Daley, Walters and Lyons.

MacDougall

First Grade
I'm hearing that the Tigers are working on getting Moltzen to reneg on his Dragons deal. Be pretty scummy if it were to happen but have any of you heard anything about that?

gypsy

Bench
Terry of course fair enough he wasn't a junior, but he was the type of club champion that won the big games for his club, he was never the best in the world but he played in an era of many great 5/8's Lewis, Fittler, Daley, Walters and Lyons.

We've been lucky to have the amount of one club players we've got at the moment:
Creagh, Hornby, Cooper, Young etc. All local juniors, all part of the leadership group.

Minh

First Grade
We've been lucky to have the amount of one club players we've got at the moment:
Creagh, Hornby, Cooper, Young etc. All local juniors, all part of the leadership group.

Can't say I can disagree with you there and that's why 2010 was so special and they fought to the death in 2011 which is all you can ask.

Bring back choc

Juniors
I think fien will still get plenty of footy.
Hornby will be half back (only other place would be dummy half).
King needs to be there.
Rein may be unlucky and not make the 17.
Stanley/moltzen/soward with morris and nighty out wide is a very promising and potent looking backline.
Plenty of X factor there. Gasniers defence will be missed more than his attack.

Minh

First Grade
Yeah there was article about him not to long ago spends all his time promoting the game in the states where he now resides I believe.

Lol they still remember him but good on him, any player that can make first grade must be respected and when they play for the Mighty Red V they are champions.;-)

Minh

First Grade
I think fien will still get plenty of footy.
Hornby will be half back (only other place would be dummy half).
King needs to be there.
Rein may be unlucky and not make the 17.
Stanley/moltzen/soward with morris and nighty out wide is a very promising and potent looking backline.
Plenty of X factor there. Gasniers defence will be missed more than his attack.

I have a feeling our attack will be more potent next year, I think we will be more slick from dummy half as well as the ball playing and running abilities of Moltzen and Kyle Stanley, Soward will have those kind of players that can relieve him of some of the ball playing and kicking in general play, that will give him more room to move and run with less attention, he is a brilliant runner of the ball Soward. I don't think that Boyd in 2011 offered us anything in attack that Moltzen can't do.

gypsy

Bench
I have a feeling our attack will be more potent next year, I think we will be more slick from dummy half as well as the ball playing and running abilities of Moltzen and Kyle Stanley, Soward will have those kind of players that can relieve him of some of the ball playing and kicking in general play, that will give him more room to move and run with less attention, he is a brilliant runner of the ball Soward. I don't think that Boyd in 2011 offered us anything in attack that Moltzen can't do.

For the most part I agree, but I think we'll miss Boyd's physical presence at the back. He got us onto the front foot from tackle 1, even when there was a very good kick chase. I think Moltzen is every bit as good a runner, and ball player, but Boyd's strength and physicality was a real bonus for us.

Minh

First Grade
For the most part I agree, but I think we'll miss Boyd's physical presence at the back. He got us onto the front foot from tackle 1, even when there was a very good kick chase. I think Moltzen is every bit as good a runner, and ball player, but Boyd's strength and physicality was a real bonus for us.

Yep Boyd is a tackle busting style of player that is known to be very hard to tackle, so physicality Boyd wins hands down even in defense and under the high ball no contest, however I think Moltzen would be a bit more slick in his running, support play, kicking and passing although Boyd was getting better at his kicking game towards the end. Moltzen looks a very natural ball runner and passer of the ball whereas Boyds passes were a little hit and miss under pressure in 2011.

Iafeta

Referee
I can pass some comment for you on Latimore and Ah Mau. Ah Mau was very very good in the U20s. There were three terrific young props from that group of U20s (Matulino was playing back row at that time). Packer had the highest work rate and a bit of class to him, Upu Poching who I believe is also available and off contract for me was very good at hitting inside shoulders to get good play the balls, Leeson was the cannon ball. Not the traditional million miles an hour type cannon ball, more the Jerry Seuseu type cannon ball that would put an intense step of power in as he hit the defensive line. He's the type of prop that looks to break tackles through intensity.

Jeremy Latimore played a very staid consistent role for the Warriors. Straight up the guts. No errors, and very tidy in defence. Not very potent though. I think though there is potential there. I noted a couple of times when he got out of the middle third and ranged up on the fringe a bit more that he could time a short pass beautifully. Also a couple of times close to the line he would run extra wide runs off the dummy half and find gaps to cross the line. At the Warriors the tight forwards tend to play very close to the game plan. I think a little latitude for Latimore might open some of the skills that we only fleetingly saw at the Warriors.

Good luck with both. I genuinely like both players.