What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
This year has been a joke,

If I was CEO new rules would be;

If its not the woman round, no f**kin pink
If its not the aborigine round. No f**kin dots
If its not anything round, wear your normal f**kin jersey
If it has a f**kin movie on it or any other shit not previously declared you will be fined 500 000 k
If your sponsor logo isn't integrated, 500 000 k fine

The end

Fire

First Grade

If it has a f**kin movie on it or any other shit not previously declared you will be fined 500 000 k

The end

Even though I think the Batman jersey is pretty cool. Amen to this ^

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
How small time and amatuerish does it make the NRL look. Honestly do you see AC Milan or Man U putting our adverts, changing colours of their home shirts (which is sacrosanct) with `own a Man U, Sliding Doors, commemorative roman jersey to commemmorate the fact that, had the romans not invaded england in the 10th century, we'd never have been able to watch a dogshit movie like sliding doors'.

f**k me dead

t-ba

Post Whore
How small time and amatuerish does it make the NRL look. Honestly do you see AC Milan or Man U putting our adverts, changing colours of their home shirts (which is sacrosanct) with `own a Man U, Sliding Doors, commemorative roman jersey to commemmorate the fact that, had the romans not invaded england in the 10th century, we'd never have been able to watch a dogshit movie like sliding doors'.

f**k me dead

I'd hardly be discussing the tea towels atm...I wasn't aware the traditional ManU contained the seven shades of red on my Nan's dining table ;-).

Atleast we're not subjected to annual changes of the primary playing strip. yet...

Canard

Immortal

f**k me dead

People slide this BS out about English soccer all the time.

Man U has changed its home jersey every year for years, they have a black V, they dont have a black V, they have some white.

Arsenal played the entire 2006 season in maroon to commerate there anniversary season.

As for away jerseys they change every year and regulary radically change colours and design, Liverpool has green, then black, then orange then blue etc.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

The end

The Titans jersey *is* for the Close the Gap (Indigenous) round tbh

100%green

Juniors
I've said this before and I'll say it again, no one is forcing anyone to buy all the jerseys. It's a choice and just as those who don't like the amount of jerseys that are available these days there are those who do like getting all of them. I am one of those people. I have purchased almost every Raiders jersey for the last 5 or so years.

In this day and age clubs can use all the funds and PR they can get and having worked in the industry most of these event jerseys usually come in and go out just as quick which is always good for all involved. Not to mention things like charities, Indigenous affairs, movie releases, the clubs and the game as a whole all benifit from this.

I don't think the NRL always needs to copy other sports and the way they do things. The AFL is now starting to do a few variant jersey but they training and NAB cup jerseys are different designs which are popular. Super rugby is also starting to do a few event jerseys.

There are 26 rounds a year which is more than enough to wear the home and away jerseys and others.

I would cap it at a maximum of 4-6 jerseys per team if they chose to have that many and that certain ones should be carried over for a 2-3 years.

At the end of the day if it's putting money into, promoting and furthering our game and the clubs then I'm all for it!!!

GAZF

First Grade
I've said this before and I'll say it again, no one is forcing anyone to buy all the jerseys. It's a choice and just as those who don't like the amount of jerseys that are available these days there are those who do like getting all of them. I am one of those people. I have purchased almost every Raiders jersey for the last 5 or so years.

In this day and age clubs can use all the funds and PR they can get and having worked in the industry most of these event jerseys usually come in and go out just as quick which is always good for all involved. Not to mention things like charities, Indigenous affairs, movie releases, the clubs and the game as a whole all benifit from this.

I don't think the NRL always needs to copy other sports and the way they do things. The AFL is now starting to do a few variant jersey but they training and NAB cup jerseys are different designs which are popular. Super rugby is also starting to do a few event jerseys.

There are 26 rounds a year which is more than enough to wear the home and away jerseys and others.

I would cap it at a maximum of 4-6 jerseys per team if they chose to have that many and that certain ones should be carried over for a 2-3 years.

At the end of the day if it's putting money into, promoting and furthering our game and the clubs then I'm all for it!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again

• Not everyone wants their clubs identity compromised in a cash grab
  • Clubs should not have to address every charity or interest group in a season, why can't the NRL be what it is: the premier RL comp in the world, not a sounding board for others
  • Movie jerseys or anything else exclusively for commerial purposes are awful
  • Heritage jerseys that never existed are woeful
  • It looks tacky having pink/dot paintings/camouflage shoehorned onto a jersey
  • Combined with all sponsor logos it looks extra tacky
  • Whats wrong with a simple patch?
  • We may not have to buy it but we do have to look at it
  • 3 jerseys a year, keep the sideshow for the preseason and off-field merch please
  • I've stopped buying new Raiders jerseys since 2009 since pretty much every new one that has come out is off the mark. Thank god for the retro line

beave

Coach
Hey Gaz, I know you are a busy lad but I would love to see what you could come up with for NQ if you were given a blank canvas for completley new logo and jersey but using the clubs original colours (navy,white,grey,yellow) i have never been a fan of our logo, it looks rubbish.

100%green

Juniors
I've said it before and I'll say it again

• Not everyone wants their clubs identity compromised in a cash grab
  • Clubs should not have to address every charity or interest group in a season, why can't the NRL be what it is: the premier RL comp in the world, not a sounding board for others
  • Movie jerseys or anything else exclusively for commerial purposes are awful
  • Heritage jerseys that never existed are woeful
  • It looks tacky having pink/dot paintings/camouflage shoehorned onto a jersey
  • Combined with all sponsor logos it looks extra tacky
  • Whats wrong with a simple patch?
  • We may not have to buy it but we do have to look at it
  • 3 jerseys a year, keep the sideshow for the preseason and off-field merch please
  • I've stopped buying new Raiders jerseys since 2009 since pretty much every new one that has come out is off the mark. Thank god for the retro line

So if the Raiders run out in exactly the same jersey year in year out your going to buy one every year?

There were a number of ladies who don't like green and wanted a pink jersey.

The first year they Raiders had the black jersey and the blue brain injury jersey both sold out at least twice over.

You are never going to please everyone but as I said having worked in the merchandise industry I can tell you NRL jerseys out sold AFL jerseys all the time. I'm sure being in Canberra and not being official club shops would have a effect on that but also the fact that they never change their jerseys would limit sales for the AFL.

I understand your point and others on here who don't like it, but others do and as I said the proof is there that these sorts of things are profitable for clubs. And if it helped the Raiders put more money in the bank then a pink or a blue jersey worn once is ok with me.

If Warner Bros are say putting $50,000 to $80,000 into this weekends Storming the Knight jersey and the Storm sell 500 jerseys @ $170 each are you going to be the CEO that say no to that?

GAZF

First Grade
Hey Gaz, I know you are a busy lad but I would love to see what you could come up with for NQ if you were given a blank canvas for completley new logo and jersey but using the clubs original colours (navy,white,grey,yellow) i have never been a fan of our logo, it looks rubbish.

Cowboys or no Cowboys? Will do when I can.

So if the Raiders run out in exactly the same jersey year in year out your going to buy one every year?

I'll buy one when they make a decent jersey again, I've been very underwhelmed by current home/away and the gunmetal grey jersey (COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL). The Raiders traditionally have a simple look. Simple variations on this look would have me buying them.

There were a number of ladies who don't like green and wanted a pink jersey.
Then make a pink OFF FIELD jersey. Do they really need to have the players wear it on field to make them want to buy it?

The first year they Raiders had the black jersey and the blue brain injury jersey both sold out at least twice over.
I know this is your bread and butter but did the black jersey sell as well as the green in that year? I just don't see the much at games.

You are never going to please everyone but as I said having worked in the merchandise industry I can tell you NRL jerseys out sold AFL jerseys all the time. I'm sure being in Canberra and not being official club shops would have a effect on that but also the fact that they never change their jerseys would limit sales for the AFL.

Not saying to not change them ever but there is value in brand recognition. To a complete newcomer:

2030BLAADM10070-ORG-01-detail-36e90e18-7485-48bc-b2f0-a0fe599d507c.jpg

=/=
wests-tigers-jersey.jpg

=/=
1tigersfront.jpg

=/=memorable

I understand your point and others on here who don't like it, but others do and as I said the proof is there that these sorts of things are profitable for clubs. And if it helped the Raiders put more money in the bank then a pink or a blue jersey worn once is ok with me.

If Warner Bros are say putting $50,000 to $80,000 into this weekends Storming the Knight jersey and the Storm sell 500 jerseys @ $170 each are you going to be the CEO that say no to that?

I want to avoid the slippery slope that leads to crap like this.

image.jpg

No amount of money justifies this.

beave

Coach
I thought that happened about 3 years ago??

God the tigers have had some blue chip sponsors over the years..........

100%green

Juniors
Cowboys or no Cowboys? Will do when I can.

I'll buy one when they make a decent jersey again, I've been very underwhelmed by current home/away and the gunmetal grey jersey (COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL). The Raiders traditionally have a simple look. Simple variations on this look would have me buying them.

This years design actually sold very strongly before I left the industry. On field performance and a change in sponsor have changed that.

Then make a pink OFF FIELD jersey. Do they really need to have the players wear it on field to make them want to buy it?

Depending on the design a wide variety of items sell from ISC players gear to Classics supporter range. Nothing however substitutes the PR that having the players run round on the field does for a item. The amount of time I had a customer say "do you have the shirt/jersey/polo that player X was wearing on tv???" I had a massive tradie come in one day that you wouldn't want to look sideways at and he said "hey bro do you have that pink training tee Fui Fui was wearing on the news?" if players wear it and win in it it usually sells!!!

I know this is your bread and butter but did the black jersey sell as well as the green in that year? I just don't see the much at games.

To start the year 2010 yes it outsold the home one 10-1 I'm not kidding. As the season went on and the team only wore it once sales dropped off massively.

Not saying to not change them ever but there is value in brand recognition. To a complete newcomer:

2030BLAADM10070-ORG-01-detail-36e90e18-7485-48bc-b2f0-a0fe599d507c.jpg

=/=
wests-tigers-jersey.jpg

=/=
1tigersfront.jpg

=/=memorable

I want to avoid the slippery slope that leads to crap like this.

image.jpg

No amount of money justifies this.

I will say teams need a 3-5 year plan with on and off field designs and color schemes. I for one hate the fact the Raiders cannot pick a color scheme for their off field range. I think a mix of 2010's navy and green mixed with this years steel, green and white would look great. Similar to the Seattle Seahawks style.

Those Tigers jersey are a great example of no one really sitting down and thinking how can our jersey evolve and be new and fresh yet include the history of the Tigers and Magpies.

As for your last example I think your going a little far with that. That's not something the NRL would approve.

100%green

Juniors
Also as for Heritage jerseys that have nothing to do with previous jerseys, in 2010 the Warriors had the grey and black Maori jersey with tribal designs on it. Aside from just looking plain awesome and customer told me one night the tribal design was actually a tattoo design that represented South Auckland. This jersey was one of the biggest sellers I have ever seen. Two years on people were still asking for it.

http://www.canterburyshop.co.nz/default.aspx?catid=20&pdid=149

GAZF

First Grade
This years design actually sold very strongly before I left the industry. On field performance and a change in sponsor have changed that.

First year sales are generally good but will those sales be maintained over a three year period? How did it compare to the initial sales of the 2009-2011 jersey (similar form in 2009). Its certainly not the worst jersey but it doesn't say "Raiders" to me. Some poor design elements there as well (cut off V, weird socks, odd shade of green - though thats grown on me). You and I both know that this design was not the most popular on the GH and its ridiculous to suggest that this design, which was near identical to two of the three others, still managed to win a majority vote. I believe there were better options submitted, including mine which didn't even feature in the vote.

Depending on the design a wide variety of items sell from ISC players gear to Classics supporter range. Nothing however substitutes the PR that having the players run round on the field does for a item. The amount of time I had a customer say "do you have the shirt/jersey/polo that player X was wearing on tv???"

Fair point. However the NFL has such a line, along with other fashion jerseys, that sell well without affecting the on field product. Making such alternative lines is something the NRL, or Australian sport, hasn't taken advantage of yet.

I had a massive tradie come in one day that you wouldn't want to look sideways at and he said "hey bro do you have that pink training tee Fui Fui was wearing on the news?" if players wear it and win in it it usually sells!!!

Being a tradie, he might have wanted some hi-vis gear.

To start the year 2010 yes it outsold the home one 10-1 I'm not kidding. As the season went on and the team only wore it once sales dropped off massively.

Again, if the"fashion" lines I mentioned above were available and well marketed, I'd be happy to see a off field black jersey sell well. The Raiders shouldn't wear anything other than their team colours (black in the logo doesn't count).

I will say teams need a 3-5 year plan with on and off field designs and color schemes. I for one hate the fact the Raiders cannot pick a color scheme for their off field range. I think a mix of 2010's navy and green mixed with this years steel, green and white would look great. Similar to the Seattle Seahawks style.

Agreed, especially with navy and lime. Something like this would sell its tits off.

Large_100993_EmpowerJacketNavy_Front.jpg

Those Tigers jersey are a great example of no one really sitting down and thinking how can our jersey evolve and be new and fresh yet include the history of the Tigers and Magpies.

The Tigers are especially bad since they ignore twice the amount of history of any other club. In fact, of the pre WW2 clubs, the Dragons and Roosters haven't compromised their main jersey for the sake of modern trends and they seem to sell well enough.

As for your last example I think your going a little far with that. That's not something the NRL would approve.

Probably not, but my point its that clubs will make new jerseys for the sake of making new jerseys. Without a firmer approach from the NRL it will get out of hand.

Also as for Heritage jerseys that have nothing to do with previous jerseys, in 2010 the Warriors had the grey and black Maori jersey with tribal designs on it. Aside from just looking plain awesome and customer told me one night the tribal design was actually a tattoo design that represented South Auckland. This jersey was one of the biggest sellers I have ever seen. Two years on people were still asking for it.

http://www.canterburyshop.co.nz/defa...id=20&pdid=149

Cool jersey but not a heritage jersey. Maybe the nomenclature is wrong. This would work.

• Primary/main
  • Secondary/clash
  • Throwback/retro - has to actually have been worn in the past, must be a design older than 10 years, must be as close to the old design as possible
  • Alternate - This is where the aforementioned Warriors jersey would site, along with their greenstone and flag jerseys
  • Charity - You know the drill

Clubs would be required to have a primary and contrasting secondary. They would also have the option of wearing a combination of a throwback, alternate or charity jersey for a total of two games/year. Piss the movie/promotional stuff right off though, doesn't belong on a jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts